What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I finished "Someone Knows my Name" last week. Really, really good.

I will admit that my next download is going to be the new Sookie Stackhouse book. :P
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

AH wrote:Finished "Townie,A Memoir" by Andre Dubus III. A different kind of read for me. Lots of violence (mostly street fights)but really a serious look into Dubus' childhood and his relationship with his father. This one will keep me thinking for awhile.
AH
I did some theatre with Andre back in the 90's. Besides his great writing abilities, he's hot :).

I gotta pick up "Townie". Heard it was really good from friends of mine. I grew up in the Newburyport area and hubby in Haverhill.
AH

Post by AH »

LysaC wrote:
AH wrote:Finished "Townie,A Memoir" by Andre Dubus III. A different kind of read for me. Lots of violence (mostly street fights)but really a serious look into Dubus' childhood and his relationship with his father. This one will keep me thinking for awhile.
AH
I did some theatre with Andre back in the 90's. Besides his great writing abilities, he's hot :).

I gotta pick up "Townie". Heard it was really good from friends of mine. I grew up in the Newburyport area and hubby in Haverhill.
LysaC,

With all those connections you really must read this book. How neat that you will know firsthand the places/areas he mentions in the book.

AH
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

This last weekend I read "Winter Garden" by Kristin Hannah. Highly recommend!

On my recent travel by train, I read "I Totally Meant To Do That." Cute book. Quick read.

Prior to that, I gobbled up "To Fetch A Thief" by Spencer Quinn. Always a good laugh, I believe this is the third in his series of Chet and Bernie.

And finally, just before that, I read Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation." Thoroughly enjoyed her writing style and humor mixed in with real history.

Now, I am reading "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown. Just started it last night and I am very much looking forward to picking it up again after dinner tonight.

I love this thread. All of these books were suggested here (except for the first one, which MB told me about).
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay on my list. Anyone read it?
greyhoundmom

Keep Left - The Open Air Asylum.......

Post by greyhoundmom »

Does anyone has a copy of this book? I think the author is Mike Mullen and the book is about his STJ build. If so, could I borrow it if I promise to gently read and return it??? :)
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'm waiting patiently, to hear what someone else thinks of "Room" by Emma Donoghue ;)
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

I enjoyed room - it's a good book-before I would suggest it I make sure the reader understands what the book is about. The subject is disturbing.
PA Girl

Re: Keep Left - The Open Air Asylum.......

Post by PA Girl »

greyhoundmom wrote:Does anyone has a copy of this book? I think the author is Mike Mullen and the book is about his STJ build. If so, could I borrow it if I promise to gently read and return it??? :)
There is a copy floating around somewhere. I gave mine away to a forum member, can't remember who. It is a better book to borrow then to buy.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

PA Girl wrote:
greyhoundmom wrote:Does anyone has a copy of this book? I think the author is Mike Mullen and the book is about his STJ build. If so, could I borrow it if I promise to gently read and return it??? :)
There is a copy floating around somewhere. I gave mine away to a forum member, can't remember who. It is a better book to borrow then to buy.
Ditto That!
lprof

Post by lprof »

PA Girl wrote:
I think your book was "borrowed" by several forum readers. It came to me from NH and I sent it on to AR; this was two or three years ago. Maybe if you ask "Who has it" on the STJ Travel Forum, it can continue to circulate. :wink:
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Keelani, I agree and should have warned about that.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am really enjoying Elin Hilderbrand's books. All are set in Nantucket so it makes for a great book to read while at the beach!
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to Amazon to download a couple of them to my Kindle for summer on the beach reading.
[/url]
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I just read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." Amazing book. You won't be able to put it down. Very interesting story. I learned a lot, but it was told in a way that kept you turning the pages.