Earl Skelton Held in Major FBI Drug Sweep

Travel discussion for St. John
gregresnick

Earl Skelton Held in Major FBI Drug Sweep

Post by gregresnick »

This article explains the law enforcement activity posted here in recent days. I posed the link to the article instead of posting the entire article.

I'm heading to St. John on Saturday. Staying at Grande Bay and Concordia. All the postings here have been wealth of information for me.

- Greg

http://preview.bviplatinum.com/news.php ... 1304823912
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I heard there was a raid at Low Key.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks for posting this link, Greg!

Have a simply wonderful time on St. John!!! :D
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Jumbiegirl wrote:I heard there was a raid at Low Key.
That might be accurate. I am pretty sure Bob Shinners is the owner of low key and he was one of the people listed on the FBI arrest.

I wonder how this will affect the people who work at low key. If I remember right, Bob had a partner at Low Key, a woman named Ellen (if memory serves). I hope she can purchase Bob's half and keep it running.

xoxo
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Hugs not drugs people. That sucks, hopefully the business will keep running and his people can keep working.

I love the doggies there!!
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

XOXO wrote:
That might be accurate. I am pretty sure Bob Shinners is the owner of low key and he was one of the people listed on the FBI arrest.

I wonder how this will affect the people who work at low key. If I remember right, Bob had a partner at Low Key, a woman named Ellen (if memory serves). I hope she can purchase Bob's half and keep it running.

xoxo
She may not have the option of owning his half. The Feds as a result of forfeiture laws may become her partner.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

promoguy wrote:
XOXO wrote:

xoxo
She may not have the option of owning his half. The Feds as a result of forfeiture laws may become her partner.
If that is the case, I feel really bad for them. What a position he has put them in.

I want to be clear that I am using the article, my memory, and what was posted above about the low key raid to come up with my conclusion. I could be wrong but it sure looks like the owner of Low Key is the person who was arrested.

xoxo
Eric on St John

Post by Eric on St John »

everything continues as normal at low key for the time being... and would expect to continue for some time as the legal situation works itself out. i don't know the details firmly but my understanding is that bob & his ex still own the biz together as they have done for the last 20+ years as they have grown the business so would think any forfeiture situation as mentioned is unlikely. guess will be clarified as bob's situation becomes known.
Eric on St John
promoguy

Post by promoguy »

Eric on St John wrote:everything continues as normal at low key for the time being... and would expect to continue for some time as the legal situation works itself out. i don't know the details firmly but my understanding is that bob & his ex still own the biz together as they have done for the last 20+ years as they have grown the business so would think any forfeiture situation as mentioned is unlikely. guess will be clarified as bob's situation becomes known.
Your correct that it will work itself through the system. Not sure why you would think that just because they've grown the business that, that in itself would make forfeiture unlikely. If the feds can in any way find a connection between what he is alleged to have committed and a connection tied directly to the business, the biz could very well be subject to forfeiture. Ever wonder why you can by some super nice cars at those government auctions.

Again, he is alleged to have committed crimes.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

There seem to be a lot of comments about Earl Skelton on that link. What is his story?

I am curious about the low key raid. Anyone know if Bob was the only one arrested there?

I just hope it is all worth it. It seems like there is a quick replacement for very drug trafficker taken off the street. I have noticed a lot of comments about how much drugs have increased in st. John. I hope this helps.
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

I was at the Beach Bar when they arrested Bob. They took him off of the boat on the beach. There was no "raid". It was a standard felony arrest. Several guys and some handcuffs. If they executed a search warrant on the business it wasn't at the same time as the arrest. It also seemed to have no immediate effect on the business, as I went in the next day looking for sandals and it seemed business as usual.
Jay
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I have it on the highest authority that the man listed in the newspaper is one of the owners of Low Key Watersports. He was arrested at their place of business, and, as far as we know, he is still in custody.

This is his personal business and has nothing to do with Low Key. Neither the business nor the boats have been seized. They are still operating and as busy as ever. Their web site lists several individuals who are capable of being captains of the boats. No one there seems to know much more about this than what can be found in the papers.

We'll be making our reservations with Low Key for dive time and a certification class soon for our trip next month. I told them that this is the time when they will find out who their friends are.

45 days and counting!
JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

beacharrow

Post by beacharrow »

Hi guys

Just a quick note as it seems that the rumor mill has gone a little crazy regarding Robert Shinners.

Bob is not a drug dealer, never has been and never will be.
He was not charged with selling drugs
He was not charged with "charges relating to drug trafficking"
There was no "raid" at Low Key nor was there a even a request to search Low Key or Bob's property.
There was no incident where Bob was selling to an undercover agent
There were no "firearms and drugs confiscated" as it relates to Bob.
His business partner is Anne Marie (not Ellen)
His business is not going to be forfeited to the feds.

The biggest negative impact on his business and his employees is the rumor mill. And unfortunately that seems to be very severe. (I'm not talking about this forum, I'm talking in general)

Although I'm sure the news outlets have tried to report as best as possible, not everything that has been reported so far has been entirely correct.

He did get himself into a hot mess, that's for sure, and his friends and family are here to support him.
He is a hard worker and well respected and loved on this island.
This is a huge story for the Virgin Islands, and it is way bigger than Low Key Bob.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Welcome to the forum, beacharrow

Generally rumors are squelched not just by disputing untruths, but by also providing the true story. Much of what's been available online (excluding people's baseless opinions) has been reports from court testimony. Is any of that true? You seem to hint that you know a lot about what this is all about. What's this all about?
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I don't want to be rude but why was he arrested then?

Also, who is Earl? I was surprised by the comments made about him.