Zero checked luggage?

Travel discussion for St. John
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

I found this on the TSA website:
"All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller."

I read that as saying that you can have a number of containers, but they all must be 3 oz or less. Not that your max is 3 oz all together. Am I wrong?
lark22

Post by lark22 »

As far as bringing multiple tubes of the same stuff, I'll share my own experience with this: Target had handy 3-oz tubes of sunscreen, and I brought FOUR of them sandwiched together in my Ziploc bag -- I never had any complaints from the security folks.

If you're really determined to not check bags, it's worth the gamble! It's also worth the extra few bucks it'd cost you to buy sunscreen & bug spray on island. (Actually, our villa had bug spray that someone had left behind, so that made things easy & cheap!) :)

We don't have kids yet, so I want to travel as lightly as possible for as long as possible!

We brought down all our stuff *plus* full snorkeling gear and everything fit just fine in our carryons.
Pia

Post by Pia »

You can have as many 3oz containers as you like BUT they must be original product bottles - ie: you can't buy 3oz containers from the drug store and fill them up as they debate as to what liquid it really is. They must fit in a small zip lock bag along with the "rest" of your liquids - lip gloss etc and it zips up. Only one zip lock per passenger.

Luv ya all

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

just saw this in the Magellan catalog

http://www.magellans.com/store/Packing_ ... P101?Args=
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I wouldn't take a chance with anything but original packaged liquids. Also, the rules say one bag per person, has anyone tried to bring two through security?

Rick - Go carry on only, you already know the right reasons. The only possible issue would be a product not available on the island that you can' buy in a package 3oz or less. If that's the case, mail it to Ruth or your villa agent or your favorite Backyard bartender...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
swoodbridge

Bug Repellent Wipes

Post by swoodbridge »

Have you seen these http://www.rei.com/product/736757 cutter picaridin wipes. We took deet wipes with us last time we were on St John and thought they worked well. Also if you can find small bottles each member in your group can carry one for you. We found 3 oz empty bottles at walmart that were clearly marked in raised plastic and as long as you have different looking liquids in each one the TSA didn't care in Indianapolis. Sharon
suzi

Post by suzi »

Rick- If you can do it...DO IT !!! I admire anybody who can just do a carry on and no checked luggage. SOMEDAY, I will learn to pack light!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I think we are going to check one sacrificial bag that we can live without if it gets lost. I would love to be able to get bug spray and sunscreen in 3 oz bottles. Just, not enough time to do it today.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Coden

Post by Coden »

I say buy it there!! STJ has everything that anyone should ever want or need!! 8)
Coden
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The only thing that keeps me from doing carry on only is the cooler with all the goodies in it.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Rick.......Aren't you the guy with the packing web site?? I thought you packed everything except the washer and dryer. Or am I confused????????

I only do carry on and have for years. I buy shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, and bug spray when I get there. I figure I'm going to the store anyway, so it's just a few more items. Airlines are picky about the zip lock bag thing. They want it out and in plain sight before you even think about going thru security. It's really not hard to pack for STJ with only carry on. It forces you to not overpack and then you have less laundry when you get home.

Although I have to include that I take a snorkel and mask and we rent fins.
JC

Post by JC »

Rick...Ron & I went for three weeks this past March & for the first time went carry-on only. We each had our one allowed zip-loc bag with enough shampoo & arm pit juice to get by for a night or two. We shipped a box to Connections two weeks(ish) before we left with our bug spray/tan lotion/etc. We will NEVER check luggage again!!! We absolutely loved the convenience of not waiting for the luggage. The faster we can get on that ferry...the better! I have no idea why it took us six years to figure it out...but we have arrived!!! It worked great for us...but I do realize it may not be for everyone! Either way...who cares...you'll be on island & we won't! HA!

Jen
74 & Out

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"
Diane

Post by Diane »

We intend to do carry-on only too. Did it last year, but restrictions weren't in place then. JC, do you mind telling me about Connections? I just e-mailed DSJ to ask about sending a package in advance and haven't heard back from them yet. TIA
Diane
JC

Post by JC »

Diane...I pm'ed you!

"I didn't come here...and I ain't leavin'"