Giving Back

Travel discussion for St. John
BillnSue

Giving Back

Post by BillnSue »

ok...i've sat on this for about a month now...having been told that "giving back" was above and beyond what visitors to this gem need to do. Yes, you spend your money, tip as you please, and walk away feeling pretty good about yourselves.... I'm fed up with the self-centered attitude. Since '85, i've done just that...given back..in small ways and larger ways...be a real person..be genuine....and see how easy it is to contribute. What you see is not all that exists here. There are real needs. Open your eyes and ears to where those needs are. This is a beautiful, incredible "playground"...look beyond yourselves to see what you can do to make it better.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Charity is personal. What and how I give is my business.
Assuming that people are self centered because they don't discuss it in a trip report on a travel forum is just judgemental.
I think that the members on this forum have been publicly generous in many ways. Giving to the ACC, the General Fund for fundraisers, the fundraising efforts for my friend Sharon, toys at Christmas, School supplies, etc.

Just because we don't discuss it, doesn't mean we don't do it.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I'm with X here. it is up to the person on what they want to give to and alot of us do. So since 85 you have good for you until you tooted your own horn we all thought you were a slacker.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

There are real needs everywhere around the world and I agree with X and Waterguy also. Assuming that others you don't even know don't contribute??? Wow, I sure hope trying to make others feel "guilty" makes YOU feel better. Odd post. It will spark a debate I'm sure and Anthony will no doubt delete it.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I am so with water, Lazy, and X on this one. Giving, doing, and being kind to those around you and in need should be done without the expectation you will be recognized or even thanked! I have always believed that it takes a community to raise a child; one smile, one kind act, pass it on; it is contagious! Happy Day.....
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I really do not understand this post. I feel like I've missed a major chapter .. I think I'm ok with that!
Heather-in-MA

Post by Heather-in-MA »

I admit...I was also scratching my head this morning mbw. Not sure how to respond to this one. Maybe it's the selfish part of me?
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Is it just me or did this post have the distinct sound of someone who has enjoyed a few too many painkillers while on vacation?

And if I'm wrong... I'm with everyone else who has replied. Just because we don't post about it, that doesn't mean we don't do it. We just don't feel the need to brag about it.
JT

Post by JT »

As one of my favorite rock bands sang:

"Who are you? do..do..I really wanna know do..do..
Who the **** are you?....

Some folks give back, some don't, but let's face it, none of us are on a Peace Corp mission when going to STJ.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

lazylane wrote:I'm sure and Anthony will no doubt delete it.
Is that all I get credit for??? :)

I am slightly confused by this post also - maybe there is more back story I am not aware of -

As long as you can keep it civil you know you can discuss whatever here -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Anthony wrote:
lazylane wrote:I'm sure and Anthony will no doubt delete it.
Is that all I get credit for??? :)

I am slightly confused by this post also - maybe there is more back story I am not aware of -

As long as you can keep it civil you know you can discuss whatever here -
The poster called out another poster in their trip report for complaining about a few issues with the villa and suggested that their trip would have been better if they had given back to the island. ( this is my paraphrasing and by no means is meant to be an actual representation of the actual post :lol: )
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I don't understand why you keep beating this idea into the ground. I've been on this forum for several years and feel that overall, it's a very giving bunch of people. No, we don't announce when and how we give in our trip reports, but that doesn't mean it isn't being done. We might not be doing the actual giving while on island even, we may support the island in different ways throughout the year.

There are many needs everywhere in the world and St. John is part of that need. We each have to choose how we are going to give, where and when. It's a very personal choice and no one can judge anyone else's choices.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

BillnSue, I don't think it was your message so much as your delivery that bothered people.

Had you started a thread about giving back and asked others for ideas then you likely would have gotten a totally different response from the forum. But your oddly placed negative comments rubbed people the wrong way.

The way you responded to that trip report came off as an attack. It was also made personal because you were calling out one person in particular, which is why others have been responding that charity is personal.

I have seen the generosity of formuites discussed again and again here so please don't be so quick to judge.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
P-600

Post by P-600 »

My eleven month old grandson has Alpha One Liver Disease. He will need a liver transplant in the near future. Since he was diagnosed at six weeks old with this disease I have become fully involved with a whole bunch of families with children suffering from Alpha One, Biliary Atresia, Alaggile Syndrome, Wilson's disease, short gut syndrome, malrotation and many other diseases. These children suffer so much and a lot of them don't make it.

I prefer to donate my time and money on something which is important to me and my family. I don't expect anyone to donate money to all the groups that I support.

When you visit STJ, enjoy walking the dogs at the shelter- but don't look for a pat on the back for it. It is supposed to come from your heart.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
P-600

Post by P-600 »

For all who are confused. It started with Mark and Susan's trip report March 19-30. I don't want to bump it.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group