Trip Report - Mar. 19-30 - Old Favorites and New Experiences

Travel discussion for St. John
mkb

Post by mkb »

Thanks for the trip report. I missed the negativity, even after a re-read. If I were considering that villa, the information you shared is info I'd want to know ahead of time. Would encourage you to share the feedback with the owners.

This reminds me I need to get my trip report written and posted. I, too, have not had time to sort through my photos yet.

Glad you had a great trip.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I definately think there is value in sharing the good and the not-so-good about your vacation. Privacy and basic kitchen equipment is not an unreasonable expectation.

Kitchen stuff is a hot button for me. It costs so little to outfit a kitchen with the basics.

I have wanted to get family pictures for years. Maybe next trip.
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

Enjoyed the trip report. I saw no negativity in it, thought it was well balanced.

Most of us don't include our charitable donations in a trip report and it should remain that way.

I've found the people on this forum to be some of the most giving people I know. For most it is obvious that we love this island and each do all we can to preserve, protect the Island, its animals and the people we so love (and envy) who live there.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thanks for your report! I think the details were great. You gave info that would prepare others about what to expect from that villa. A lot of people love to cook on island (I'm not one of them) and a kitchen that isn't well stocked can matter to them. I always include that info in my reports.

We all have different likes and dislikes, but that's what makes life interesting! Your report was great and I'm glad you had a good trip!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks for the TR. I read your report twice to find the negative comments--lack of a few kitchen items and not enough toppings on a pizza were the only things I found. While giving back to the island is always a nice idea, I just do not understand how that comment was warranted. Glad you love the island---like we do.
---Jim
luvstjohn

Post by luvstjohn »

I have only been to the island one time and am returning with my teen age son this summer and I too enjoy the good and bad side of every trip report. I dont view it as negative though. To me its just a "heads up". You did mention though that you rented a dingy for the day. I have been tossing that idea around for me and my son. Can you tell me a few things though.

Is the dingy hard to manuver? We certainly are not boat captains.

Are there only certain places you can go with the dingy?

Is there room in the dingy for a cooler for lunch and drinks?

Can you get out of the dingy and snorkel around then get back in? Easily would be the key word here.

I hope Im not taking away from the trip report. We can move it to a new thread if need be. Thanks for your advice.

Bre
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

We have only done this once (as noted) but I'll weigh in.

Is the dingy hard to manuver? We certainly are not boat captains.

I think it all depends of the weather, we have some light chop and 2 in one boat and 3 in the other. Going "out" is harder as you are going into the prevailing wind and the waves a bit heavier.

That said it really helps to put a cooler of the other person in the prow of the boat to keep the front end sown so it is easier to see. 2 people sitting in the back won't work.

I figured out the key is just to take it easy - you can stick closer to shore until you have to make the run around Mary Point to get to Waterlemon. Coming back we opened it up a bit as we were going with the waves.

Are there only certain places you can go with the dingy?

The dingy company will so a good job of explaining that but most of the beaches are open. Caneel Bay you can visit but by tying up at their dock - not beaching the boat on the beach - as it is private.

Is there room in the dingy for a cooler for lunch and drinks?

Oh sure - they are large enough for 4 or 5 people so lots of room for cooler, beach stuff etc.

Can you get out of the dingy and snorkel around then get back in? Easily would be the key word here

Fairly easy. Others on this board have detailed making a rope ladder of sorts to help. We found we did not need that at Waterlemon - the guys at Noah's pointed out a place on the motor (when it's off) that serves as a step of sorts. We only snorkeled once out of the boat - all other times we beached the dingy - then swam and snorkeled.

The question that has been debated in the lats month was 1/2 day or full day - you might look for that thread. For our first time we went with the first day and were glad we did. But we stopped for a 2 hour lunch etc.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

who would have thought your short and sweet little trip report could have stirred up this much emotion~ I loved your report, but also love the passion people have for STJ. I think we need to remember that trip reports are opinion- that's all folks! these guys wrote how they felt - i thought it was honest, well written , and showed some pros and cons of their villa. They gave us some cool details of their trip and some awesome options of things to do! I loved the report! Whether people give to the animal shelter or other organizations on island is for them to decide, but let's be real a trip report is NOT the place to go off on these innocent people! ( again this is just my opinion!) thank you for sharing the details of your trip- i loved it!!!!! :D :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Mark & Susan,

Thank you for posting such a pleasant and informative trip report, and for sending us our own personal version. We are 10 days away and are so looking forward to being there; especially after this cold spring.

Cheers,
Bob & Anita
Bob & Anita
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

I have to agree that I also thoroughly enjoyed the trip report and as we are researching villas in Coral Bay for this summer, more information is always good! It is unfortunate if people become hesitant to post the good with the bad, as it is so helpful to us in researching our vacations...emphasis on 'our'. I can't imagine suggesting that I should tell someone else what to do with 'their' vacation! We are all different and that's what makes the planning half the fun, since there is such a diversity of great places and things to do on St. John.!

On a personal note, we donate to the ACC but there is NO WAY I could spend time with the dogs there during my visit as I would surely end up with another four legged friend, I simply cannot resist! So to my husband's relief, it is our choice to stay away... :lol:

On a practical note for those researching dinghies, we did this last week and got a center console with actual seats - it was much more comfortable than just sitting on the side of the dinghy, especially since we had a choppy day. When the kids were smaller they loved hanging on 'riding shotgun' but not so much anymore, and mom agrees! If anyone has trouble getting in and out it's a little easier too. I think it was about $50 more for the day.
~Tracie
[/url]
loria

Post by loria »

I have to agree with your observations regarding what was missing at Tiffany--we were there before you and I was a bit taken aback with the lack of certain items--i think because it is new to the market that the owners would want to know this (ok, my pet peeve--just to put it out there--no glass glasses--I just hate drinking wine out of a plastic glass--I know--small crap--but still) --also, at least while we were thre the downstairs bedroom was very musty /moldy smelling---
one thing that cannot be faulted is that it is a very comfortable place and the view is simply magnificent! And the management company is really a pleasure to work with -- It really is a beautiful home. --while we were there we ended up picking up > 25 nails and screws out of the parking area (left overs from construction presumably)--given the road up it would have been a really tough place to get a flat tire!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Wow, Mark and Susan...really enjoyed your trip report. Thanks for writing. I also agree that I like many others didn't even read any negativity in your report at all. It was all your honest opinion. Totally on board with feeling if your paying $500-700 a night for a property it should be all that it could be. We had our last trip to St John April 10 and our villa was a disappointment due to it's being trashed by a wedding party the week before we rented it. :shock: Villa manager was totally unresponsive and owner was long time friends with her so nothing was taken care of while we were there. I took pictures while there and emailed them. Owner was horrified but no action was taken. I never did a trip report about the villa...good thing as I imagine a lynching probably would've been in order if I had. My family also spent tons on island, shopped for food,we eat out mostly and tip like crazy, renting snorkel equipment and buying things we don't need to take home. Donate to the animal shelter also!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!