Westin boat /taxi/ ferry from airport to STJ...?

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Westin boat /taxi/ ferry from airport to STJ...?

Post by mahojim »

Is it worth the cost?
Inquiring for newbies...
Any insight?
Help!
Smiles-
MJ
PSUWethr

Post by PSUWethr »

I am not sure how much it is at this point. Last time we took it was about 2 years ago and it seemed expensive. But now that ferry and taxi prices have gone up I would definitely use it. The nice thing is you wheel your luggage over to their little office in the baggage claim area and you never see it again until you get to your room. They put you on a taxi and go over to Crown Bay which is a very short taxi ride and then you are on their private boat. We personally like the longer ferry rides than riding in a taxi. Plus every time we get a taxi to Red Hook we are on a taxi with people needing to be dropped off at every resort on STT and have missed the ferry by 5 minutes more times than not. (Some of that is beacuse our luggage is ALWAYS the last pieces off the plane.)

I would defnitely use it.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I think it would depend on their arrival time and the next departure time for the Westin ferry - they could have a long wait (also check the return ferry/flight time to make sure it is convenient.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
byado18

Post by byado18 »

I agree with both PSU and Pia...... LOVE the convenience factor! But sometimes am frustrated by the wait if you have just missed one!

The time of arrival is huge. We usually take it but figure out our arrival and departure times for taking the ferry versus cab, ferry cab from the airport to the Westin. We usually arrive and have just missed the one in the afternoon and it's a 3 hour wait to the next one....but last December the 2:30 ran late and we made it!

Leaving we usually take a 3 or 4 pm flight and taking the noon ferry from the Westin is perfect!
Last edited by byado18 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

We are staying at the Westin in June and have just booked the ferry. Both will be 1st for us. The ferry cost is $110 round trip which includes taxis, ferries, baggage, tips, and unlimited shopping trips to STT. I am kinda liking the idea of checking the baggage in at the airport and then having my hands free for cocktails from that point on :D Good luck to your friends! Enjoy your trip with your Sweet Amy!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have not taken the Westin ferry but use the Caneel ferry when we stay there and private taxi/private ferry when we visit STJ.

We are the type of people that vacation truly begins when we don't need to worry about things anymore. When we have used the resort/private transfers, our vacation begin when their service started. So for us, the extra $ is worth the convenience and relaxation.
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Jim, for newbies it is a nice way to get to St John.

I have to agree with the other posters that if you have that service pre-arranged, vacation truly begins once you arrive at the airport...no worries about anything, luggage arrives in room in a timely manner....worth every dollar.

We have used the Westin, Caneel, and public ferry from Red Hook. I liked having the Westin ferry as a newbie!

One trip coming home via the Westin transportation, we had a rather early flight, thus a very early ferry. We were the only passengers aboard and were taken to Red Hook instead of CA, and a private taxi was waiting to take us on to the airport. All other Westin ferries came in and out of Crown Bay Marina.

You definitely can get back and forth cheaper so only the newbies can justify the cost. Nice of you to help them sort this out!
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

I don't think the Westin Ferry goes from Crown Bay anymore. At least it didn't in December 09' - it left from Yacht Haven.

The reason that was significant to us was that we purposely packed carry on to run to make the 12:15 ferry only to find out that because it was going from Yacht Haven, we had no chance to make it.

Its too bad to because Tickles was a great place to wait for the ferry. Once you sat down at that bar, ordered your first drink and lunch, you were truly on vacation already.

And if you don't time the ferries right, it makes a lot more sense to simply take the Red Hook Ferry. Otherwise you could be waiting for 2 hours.
Iggy

Re: Westin boat /taxi/ ferry from airport to STJ...?

Post by Iggy »

mahojim wrote:Is it worth the cost?
Inquiring for newbies...
Any insight?
Help!
Smiles-
MJ
MJ

I found out that they do load up Westin cutomers at Crown Bay marina. Which is a great location for a bite a Tickles and picking up some groceries at the market located next door. It does cost $110 round trip but they do take your luggage from airport to villa or hotel room. (tips are included) If you feel the need to come back during the week to St. Thomas to shop, you are not charged extra.

Overall I think it is a good purchase for newbies. Don't let them get sucked into the villa sales, it will soak up part of their vacation.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks, y'all.
Really looking forward to this coming trip, and hope the newcomer friends find a place their heart loves in/ on STJ.
Smiles-
MJ
stjohnnewbie

Post by stjohnnewbie »

Yes, definitely worth it for first trip!! I had no idea you might have to wait three hours...we must have really lucked out! We hung out at Pickles for about 20 minutes while we waited.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

stjohnnewbie wrote:Yes, definitely worth it for first trip!! I had no idea you might have to wait three hours...we must have really lucked out! We hung out at Pickles for about 20 minutes while we waited.
Hmmm...,- curious...
Where's Pickles?
Thanks again for the input, folks. Hoping my newbie friends are "lurking", as I've given them the address to get here, and told them about the questions that I'm asking on their behalf.
Smiles,
MJ
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Hey Jim...

Pickles is a restaurant/bar at the Crown Bay Marina...on the water, open air.
Easy place to pass some time ( knock down a few!) while you wait for the ferry once they take you from the airport to the dock. It is a very short ride from the airport.

There is also a grocery store at that marina.

Any feedback from the friends as to what they are going to do?
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Is it "Tickles", or "Pickles"?
They're going to stick with the Westin jamboree from the airport & do the ferry to their hacienda from there.
Doesn't matter the name, I'm sure they'll love their first chilly drink at "_ickles" on the way to that gorgeous island!
Smiles-
MJ
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Ooopppss!

My bad...it is indeed Tickles!

Didn't realize the switch to Pickles... :oops:

(altho you could get pickled there) :D