St. Patrick's Day - Corned Beef and Cabbage Help!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Greenskeeper

St. Patrick's Day - Corned Beef and Cabbage Help!

Post by Greenskeeper »

To celebrate my new dining room table (scheduled to be delivered on St. Patrick's Day) I want to make corned beef and cabbage. I bought a gray corned beef from my local butcher. I will also do traditional root vegetables and Irish soda bread.

Anyone have any special cooking tips for boiled dinner?
Any other Irish recipes especially for desserts?
KAY

Post by KAY »

My Irish MIL's corned beef recipe which we just enjoyed at our family celebration yesterday:
Corned Beef (regular flavor, 3/4 lb per person)
2-3 cloves Garlic
1 Tbs Pickling Spice
Place in large pot or roaster and bring to a boil then simmer 30 minutes per pound. Cook cabbage and potatoes seperately. Put 1 ladle of beef juice into cabbage water. Slice the corned beef with an electric knife against the grain.

Soda Bread which everybody voted the best yesterday:
8 C Flour 2 C Golden Raisins
2 C Sugar 3 Eggs beaten
3 T Baking Powder 3/4 C Butter melted
2 tsp Baking Soda 1 Qt Buttermilk
2 tsp Cream Of Tartar
Mix 5 ingred in left column, Add raisins. Stir in eggs and butter. Add buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon. Place in 3 greased 5x9 bread pans. Bake 350 for 1 hour or toothpick clomes out clean.
Sorry, no irish dessert recipes....usually too full. Enjoy and Happy St Patricks Day!
bevm

Post by bevm »

Simple...cover the brisket with water and add pickling spice. I cook mine all day. I don't want the mess of separate pots so I quarter the cabbage and add that to the brisket along with potatoes during the last hour. Cook until they're tender.
Coden

Post by Coden »

I always cook my corned beef the day before per the package instructions. I remove it when done and after it is cool I take the fat off the top - throw it away, and put the corned beef into the refrigerator. Then the next day I cut it into nice slices.

I also save the broth, and the next day skin off the fat, put the broth into the pot again and then add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots. About 15 mins before the veggies are done, I put the corned beef slices on top of the veggies to reheat.

I have all of my ingredients ready to go! Can't wait!

Thanks KAY for the soda bread recipe!!
Coden
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

bevm wrote:Simple...cover the brisket with water and add pickling spice. I cook mine all day. I don't want the mess of separate pots so I quarter the cabbage and add that to the brisket along with potatoes during the last hour. Cook until they're tender.
We do that but when we put the veggies in, we take the corned beef out and put it in the oven to dry out a little, I don't care for it when it is too watery
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Do any of you change the water? Some recipes call for that but I figure it will lose flavor.

Thanks so far. I'd ask my Irish mother but she would just say "boil the hell out of it" which as a kid, that's how she cooked- but she boiled the hell, flavor and nutrition out of EVERYTHING. LOL She even parboiled boneless chicken breasts. :lol:
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

This is my Mom's recipe that I am trying this year. It's absolutely delicious!

Cover meat with water and 1 can beer (don't use light beer) so it is about 3/4 way up pot.
1 whole onions cut in 1/4's
1 tlbs of peppercorns about 12-15
6-8 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp clove powder
11/2 tlbs of pickling spices
3 bay leafs
Simmer to the meat is a deep gray 4-5-hrs cook uncover. Turn meat over every hour if possible

Then boil the vegetables and cabbage in the cooking liquid.
Terry

Post by Terry »

A real novice here. Just purchased my first corned beef brisket. What are pickeling spices? :oops:

I plan on cooking it in a crockpot all day. Any suggestions on how to layer each item. Every recipe I've found says something different. Vegies on the bottom, meat on top. Don't put the cabbage in it. Meat on the bottom, so it doesn't dry out, then vegies turn out dry.

Help!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Okay, joke is on me. Found the packet of seasoning in with the CB and it turned out delicious.

Lots of leftovers will make great ruebin sandwiches this weekend. :D