What is wrong with St. Thomas

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Post by 54b »

So wait a minute...are you telling me what I think you're telling me...there are villas on St. John that come with waffle irons?

All these years, you think you know something about a place. And then bam, this comes out. To think how many times I had to answer to TSA for trying to get a waffle iron thru customs. Those babies'll light up a metal detector like a track house in the burbs the week before Christmas I can tell you that much.

I feel so used, so cheap. Must be a Peter Bay thing.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ronbo3107

Post by ronbo3107 »

I did not mean to start an all out brawl. I was just making a point. This is a USVI forum and it has turned into a St John Usvi Forum. I have been to all the islands and love them all. What I am trying to get across is the fact that is the tourism is way down and if it continues at it's current rate there will not be a paradise island to get away to. So all of you haters of St Thomas better be aware that if that ends, so does your island get away. Like I said in a post before this we need to get the message out before the islands are forgotten. I will be there on the 5th of March and would love to talk with anyone about this that would like to meet.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

ronbo3107 wrote:This is a USVI forum and it has turned into a St John Usvi Forum.
You could actually start some threads about STT from time to time.
ronbo3107 wrote:...tourism is way down and if it continues at it's current rate there will not be a paradise island to get away to. So all of you haters of St Thomas better be aware that if that ends, so does your island get away. Like I said in a post before this we need to get the message out before the islands are forgotten.
Huh?!?!? I've got news for ya. Its not tourism that makes these places paradise, at least not for most visitors. Think Trunk Bay without crowds.

Connie

Post by Connie »

I've been on this forum for awhile and I think everybody knows that I stay on STT...but I do go over to STJ and I've met many people from this forum and it's been great.

The one thing I don't like is the bashing of STT that goes on sometimes here.

I do feel that alot of people who love STJ haven't seen anything but Charlotte Amalie or the trip to Red Hook for the ferry. If that's the what's going on then nobody has the right to give their opinion of STT...period.

I'm also sure that if any posts come up for STT that alot of people just pass right over them. Why learn anything about STT when you're a STJ lover?

Anyway, I love STT and I feel safe when I'm there. We drive everywhere and go to beaches that are beautiful. And OMG we actually go out at night and we're not scared!!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

Very well stated Connie.....bashing anyone's island is uncalled for!

We're all is the same boat, oops I mean Water, the beautiful Caribbean Sea. Let's treat each other like neighbors and with respect!

Some of us live here and love the entire Virgin Islands.

Karen ':D'
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

When I see so many STJ residents and visitors on the ferry and car barge to STT every day it seems that what is WRONG with STT is that it has a Costuless, Pricesmart, Home Depot, Office Max, great restaurants, a harbor you can anchor in without paying a NPS mooring fee overnite, lots of beach bars, car dealerships, McDonalds, oh and an airport.
Things we all use when we live here.

All the Virgin Islands have different and enjoyable advantages - bought gasoline on STX lately? - even the little ones like Buck Island STX, Lovongo Cay, Great St. James, Hassel Island - Flanagan Island, etc. offer all of us a varied experience that should be lauded - pride of your own neighborhood///island shouldn't translate into bashing but transform into a bigger sense of belonging.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I was just starting to get interested in St. Croix since I watched a dive/travel promotion DVD from there. Dare I ask about it here?
I still like the forum the way it is. Keep it simple. More STT and STX fans just need to say things, post reports, ask questions, etc.
Connie

Post by Connie »

Sea, I agree with you about posting more about STT and STX, but I really don't believe it matters because this forum IS a STJ forum. Why would anybody care?

There has been so many things that I've read from posters saying that they can't wait to get off of STT when they don't even know anything about it.

How about sometime, STJ lovers come on over STT and drive up to the North End and see how beautiful it is?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
California Girl

In the aprox. 6 years I've been a part of this forum I think I've seen maybe 3 or 4 trip reports from St. Croix (and those were from STX lady and Margy) and to be honest, I can't remember seeing one single STT report (maybe you've posted some, Connie, and I missed them?). I would gobble up a St. Thomas report, especially one with lots of pictures!

When I spend the day on STT in May, I plan to write a report about it for all the people like me who want more info about the other islands. As has been said previously, it's not that this forum is exclusively about St. John, it's the fact that many people either don't go to the other islands, or if they do, they don't share their information with the forum. If people looking for STX and STT information are "hit & run" just looking for some facts and moving on, what's to say they'll ever come back to the forum and write a trip report? :roll:
scoob

Post by scoob »

Just got back rom 9 great nights on STT..
trip report to follow..
yes, the Islands are very different..
They are what they are..
never been to St.Croix, but I have the bike DVD ..
does that count ? just kidding.
I love a beach- I don't care where is is..
even the shores of Lake Ontario !!
and I STILL have 2 feet of snow in my yard !!
just one forum is enough.

Scoob :cry: for being back in NY
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I am ambivilant about the potential split. I like the idea of people coming together in a single place. The Romans did not have separate forums for the different aspects of their society. On the other hand, I hear people who are driven away and reluctant to post their questions or reports because they don't feel welcome here. That's not right either.

Since the single forum is not working, perhaps it is time to give the separate pages idea a turn. It seems to work well for the off-topic forum.

Although the Romans did not have separate forums, they did not have a digital medium to work with. They relied on bricks and mortar to create a place to meet.

As for STT or STX, I agree that there is nothing "wrong" with them. We have spent many weeks on STT and never been to STX. We have found that for us, and I can only speak for us, STJ is the best choice. We have enjoyed Megans and Saphire Beach and sat in Drakes Seat. We have wandered Main Street for hours, bought our US Customs limit, and watched the cruise ships leave while seated in the Greenhouse. I think we have a fair understanding of what STT is ---and is not. We like the park-like setting in STJ and work all year to get away form the more urban, business-like setting that we find in STT.

We will stay in STT in the future. That stay will be for an extended period of time. There are dive sites we want to see that STJ operators will not go but STT operators will take us to. There are many great restaurants we want to try for the first time. There are others we are looking forward to patronizing again.

It need not be a them against us situation. It's the diversity of the islands and this group that I like. :)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

linne

Post by linne »

Just like to tell how we experienced the 3 islands as foreigners, which never had visited USVI before, and who met STT, STJ and STX with the same open mind (although I have to admit that being a member of this forum, before we came, had coloured my expectations a little in favour of STJ).

I wrote a TR after the vacation, and it was obviously that people were more interested in the TR from STJ than in the TR from STX. I was a little surprised about that, but on the other hand, I know that sometimes it’s more interesting to read about the places you know, just to hear how other has experienced these places - if they look at it in the same way, if they have seen something you don’t have etc..

But in STX we had the best salad on the trip (the harbour in Christianssted), the best burger (Frederikssted) and the best snorkel experience (Buck Island). We saw a lot of interesting historic places, and we saw many beautiful landscapes. We liked to be there.

In STT we enjoyed the life in the town, we loved to stay near the sea in a not too expensive resort (Secret Harbour) and have the possibility to take a short swim and then go back to our room, if we wished so. It wasn’t necessary to bring a lot of things to the beach. We also visited many interesting historic places there and saw many beautiful landscapes. Unfortunately we didn’t see al the places, we wanted. We found it very difficult to find our way. But if we come again, we will definitely stay more days on STT.

In STJ we enjoyed that there were more beautiful beaches to choose among. For us it also seemed as if, there were more unspoilt nature. But first of all STJ has a certain charm, people seems more open and relaxed. I suppose it has something to do with that it’s a smaller island, but also I think, that people, who visit STJ, are more similar each other, because there isn’t so many different things to do in a vacation here. We really loved STJ, but we wouldn’t have been without our visit to STT and STX.

After my opinion all 3 islands are worth a visit, and I wonder that so many people haven’t tried a trip to STX.

Just my 2 cent.

Don't really know if there should be 3 forums.

Linne
Last edited by linne on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
California Girl

Jim, you are a good example, please forgive me for picking on you and singling you out.

You say you've stayed on St. Thomas, shopped, been to Drake's Seat, Magen's Bay, etc. So how come you've never written a St. Thomas trip report about all these great restaurants, etc.? I'd love to know what different restaurants there are to choose from. I know of only 4 or 5, and that's because Deb & Jay go to them and post pictures on Facebook.

I think a lot of people have stayed on STT, but for some reason we just never hear about it! :)
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

Three cheers for someone else appreciating STX. I'm amazed at the number of peeps that comment on STX that have NEVER been here. Thanks linne and to those that have ventured south!

PS Have STT or STJ seen the whales over the last few week that have been playin' 'round STX? Are they playin' in your waters too?