2 bathing suits
1 cover up
1 dress
flip flops

In Beach Bag:
Canon Rebel
Point and shoot
Nook
Meal for the plane(I always pack a lunch)
1 quart bag with a few small toiletries
Sunglasses
small purse

On the plane I wore lightweight pants, tank top, zip up hoodie and sneakers.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We've been doing carry on the last few trips and love it. We send a box to Connections with food, books, suntan lotion, and snorkel gear. When we come back we leave the books for the next guests to enjoy. We no longer pack our fins and rent those from Crabby's but take our own masks and snorkels. Wasn't sure I'd like that but it has worked out fine. Coming back we just have to jam the snorkel and mask back in the carry on and it all works out. If you want to get on Island quick go carry on, have Christopher's taxi waiting to pick you up at the airport and use Dohm's water taxi. We cut an hour off the trip over to STJ by going this route. Going to do it again at the end of this month!
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We've been doing carry on the last few trips and love it. We send a box to Connections with food, books, suntan lotion, and snorkel gear. When we come back we leave the books for the next guests to enjoy. We no longer pack our fins and rent those from Crabby's but take our own masks and snorkels. Wasn't sure I'd like that but it has worked out fine. Coming back we just have to jam the snorkel and mask back in the carry on and it all works out. If you want to get on Island quick go carry on, have Christopher's taxi waiting to pick you up at the airport and use Dohm's water taxi. We cut an hour off the trip over to STJ by going this route. Going to do it again at the end of this month!
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

We will be first timers to STJ this summer with our two kids 13 and 10. I am trying to decide if we should do carryon or not. We will be bringing snorkel gear for everyone (have not yet purchased). My question is I want to be able to bring things like suntan lotion, bug spray, and especially snacks for the kids and us (our 13 year old is a non-stop eating machine right now). He will be turning 14 when we are on STJ. How much will it cost to send a box? Is it worth it or should I just put everything into one regular size suitcase. I would love to do the carryon just not sure it will work.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We just sent a "large" priority mail box to Connections with our toiletries, sunscreen and some snacks and it was $18.90. Connections charges $5-$20 depending on how large the box is and how long they have to hold it.
I can let you know the total cost after we pick the box up at connections.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

I just sent one today too. Last trip we sent to Connections and it was either $5 or $10 per box (large, flat rate box) for them to hold it??? This time we were able to send it to the villa owner directly. Hopefully it gets there in time!
Image[/url]
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We always do carry on. One carry on per person and one back pack per person. We wash on island. Ship a box with sunscrean and specialty food items. We wear zip off pants, long sleeve shirts, light jacket, socks, and keens.
2 shorts
3 shirts
1 rash guard
1 pr. flops
1 sleep shirt
undies
Light over dress(dressier shirt for hubs)
2 bating suits
Travel fins
snorkel and mask
Quart ziplock w toiletries
(2 cameras and a laptop between the 2 of us...this year we are going to take my dive computer and regulator)
Rob7

Post by Rob7 »

hoosierdaddy wrote:Great advise. Hoosiermommy and I are planning on carryons only next trip.
Welcome to the club hoosierdaddy....ALWAYS go with just carry-on...us midwesterners know how to travel :)
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

JT wrote:Okay, i don't get it. We've never checked baggage in. We've gone for 3 weeks, brought snorkel gear, gifts for friends, CD's [before iPod], etc. Last year we did, because of TSA bullstuff, mail a minimum USPS priority box [with Swiss Army knife, peanut butter, sunscreen,Deet, and what ever elsethat would fit] and we still didn't use a lot of the stuff. A couple of teeshirts, shorts, camera, Tevas, binoculars, cash. No laptop, cell phone, or tiaras. You'd be surprised how easy it is!
I'm confused. How do you go down without your tiara?
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Piece of cake for the wife and I, key is take very little cloths. All cloths and personal items two carryon luggage. Our polar bear cooler being our personal item stuffed with frozen stuff. The other personal item being a big backpack stuffed with food staples, big as a carryon but hey I stuff it under my seat so it's legal. I do loose leg room but not really a big deal.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

I am sure the carryon has to be a certain size so does anyone have sizes? If we do carryon I will have to pack two backpacks of food for our son who is non-stop at eating right now (he is 13). I guess I could check the airline website but you guys are all so great. Thanks.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

Standard carry-on size for the overhead bin is 22x14x9 or any combination thereof that adds up to 45". Your personal item just needs to fit under the seat in front of you. If your tall like me you work on yoga poses, do breathing exercises and hope you don't cramp up.

So with so many doing carry-ons they might as well add a third class seat in the luggage compartment on the plane. A sort of airborne steerage. Then I might be able to afford more trips to STJ.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Be careful with the size. I used a cary on suit case last summer (that had the correct dimensions)with no problem to CA and STJ, then my daughter used the same bag and because the wheels stuck out, it did not fit in the little test rack and they would not alow it. I am going to go to the airport and see if I can find a test rack to make sure it fits before I pack next time. I know that the airlines are getting picky, and I don't want to risk it.
SCMako17

Post by SCMako17 »

We each carry a typical carry on bag with wheels. Those are for clothes and toiletries. I carry a back pack that carries the snorkeling gear and usually the cameras. Wife carries who knows what in her huge pocketbook.

I learned long ago the "half as much clothes and twice as much cash" saying is very appropriate.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

ok - For those of you who do the carryon. Do you buy your bugspray, sunblock, etc on island? I am just going back and forth of what will be easier. We will have our snorkel equipment for myself and husband and then the two kids. Also need to pack snacks,etc. If we do not do carryon is it really that much of a pain to just have one bag. We will be arriving on STJ in July around 1:00. I just keep going back and forth but can not wait for our first trip.