St John on less than $500/wk (no plasma donation or dumpster

Travel discussion for St. John
cwcoleman

Post by cwcoleman »

parafins wrote:
Tip: Duct tape the lid down on the cooler to keep from loosing all of your goods.{I've seen this happen}Also try to us a cooler with wheels.I helps.One other thing,pack the cooler before your trip and weigh it.You don't want it to go over the # limit. Parafins

I'm right on board with you about the cooler. I already have a medium sized cooler with wheels ready to go, and will definitely secure the lid before checking it. I hate to weigh myself using our home scale, but I always weigh our luggage before heading to the airport (especially when traveling with full camping gear).

I had two questions for the airline - but of course they have not gotten back to me. #1 - can I actually duct tape it, or because of their need to securely check baggage do I need to use re-sealable luggage straps instead? #2 - can I use dry ice for checked luggage?

Cheers
cwcoleman

Post by cwcoleman »

WaterGuy says:
I like Polar Bear soft sided coolers for this if checking. Two weeks ago I brought steaks and pork tenderloins down in my back pack so if you don't have alot thats an option
Good tip.

Our trip will be 7 days, so I am pretty sure we will have too much for a soft cooler. Plus having a sturdy cooler at the Cinnamon Bay Campground will be a perk.

I hear the donkey's like to rummage - any tips on avoiding that? We will be in a bearsite, and would hate to hang a 'bear bag' every night...

Cheers,
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you're worried about it, bring your roll of duct tape with you and tape it closed at night. I think your threats are donkeys, mongoose, and rats. I don't think you'd need to secure the lid at all, but I would, cause I'm all cautious like that :wink:

Your biggest problem is going to be the pearly eyed thrashers. They are evil, evil, evil birds who are very smart and persistent, oh, and did I say evil? If I walked more than 2 steps away from our food, they were in it. You literally cannot leave your food unattended for one minute, safely. They took a shishkabob right off the grill. Nastiest birds I've ever encountered. Gimme a racoon any day.

Bring lots of bug spray, and a couple of maybe 8 foot lengths of twine to rig up the shower so that you don't have to keep one hand on the chain while you shower. Tie one end of the twine on the chain, and the other end on the handrailing, closest to the shower spout. If you move the end that's tied on the railing back toward the shower door, it'll keep the water on for a few seconds at a time. Don't be wasteful with the water, though.

Oh, and would you please write a trip report when you get home, on how it went at the bare site, what you brought with you, and what you'd do differently next time? We're campers but haven't figured out how to do a bare site so far away.

Enjoy!!!
cwcoleman

Post by cwcoleman »

I'm a over planner, so I decided to contact the TSA about traveling with a cooler as luggage. Here is their response (in only 48 hours time) (sorry for the long message, but the details are important):

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policies on traveling with ice and/or gel packs in checked luggage.

TSA permits regular ice, frozen gel packs, and dry ice in checked baggage. Frozen items are allowed so long as they are solid and in a "frozen state" when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, the ice/liquid container must meet 3-1-1 requirements. More specifically:

Checked Baggage: Regular ice and frozen gel packs are not restricted by TSA. When regular ice is transported, TSA recommends a cooler. For dry ice:

. TSA requires that its packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas;
. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) limits each piece of checked baggage to five pounds of dry ice;
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked "DRY ICE" or "CARBON DIOXIDE SOLID;" and
. The FAA requires that each package of dry ice be marked with the net weight of the dry ice or an indication that the amount of dry ice is five pounds or less.

TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with either regular ice or dry ice. It is important to note that TSA enforces all FAA requirements pertaining to dry ice.

Concerning packages and containers sealed with tape and traveling as checked baggage, in accordance with TSA regulations, a package or container sealed with tape is not a prohibited item. Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) are required by law to screen all checked baggage for prohibited items. If a checked bag sounds an alarm, it may be physically searched. If a TSO must conduct a physical inspection of a sealed package to resolve an alarm during screening, the TSO will reseal the package once the inspection is complete.

If the TSO finds any prohibited items in the sealed package, the items will be removed and the package resealed. There is no need for passengers to place their own sealing tape inside the packages or containers. All checked baggage should be closed or sealed before checking them with the airlines.

Security screening at foreign airports is beyond TSA jurisdiction. Travelers must go through different clearance procedures when crossing international borders. Passengers and their baggage are also screened for security according to standards established by the Government of that country. As a sovereign entity, that country may establish its own security requirements for airports and air carriers that are not necessarily the same as those required in the United States."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm
----
From US Airways

"Dry Ice will be accepted as checked or carry on baggage under the
following conditions. The package weight is 5.5 lbs of dry ice or less
per package. The package must be designed to permit the release of CO2
gas so that the pressure does not build up. For checked baggage the
package needs to be marked with the words "Dry Ice" or "Carbon Dioxide
Solid" and the net weight of the dry ice. "
Last edited by cwcoleman on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

Have an awesome time on your trip. I am so envious right about now.

No tips to save $$ as the way I camp at Cinnamon I am certain most people wouldn't find it enjoyable (ie: I do 2 weeks without a cooler and eat 2 meals/day in camp, & dinner out nightly).

Mindy gave great advice about what to watch out for. Those birds are pesky alright.

One tip: if you are unhappy with your site, let the front desk know and they'll tell you what other sites will be clearing out and you can "reserve" one of them.

I am looking forward to reading your trip report.
~Brenda~
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Bumpng this up, maybe should be done annually, such a great trip report!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I think Scott is on island right now, or has just been there. Scott - are you there? Dying to read your report. You're my "value" hero. :o :o :o
jmhouse

Post by jmhouse »

dangit. the wheels in my head are turning now. going through a mental inventory of my gear. wondering how much vacation i have. considering future plans (moving to CO, friends possibly getting married on stj within the next year). going through a daily stj camping routine in my head. searching for flights in march around my bday. etc etc etc.

this forum is dangerous....but in a good way. thanks for bumping this thread up.
Matt
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

loved this report. Ya know, I think that doing the camping thing could at least off set our expences. Use careful meal planning and it could work even if you wanted to rent a car. (Of course not for $500, but the savings could make the trip doable in hard times. Got some joint issues, but a good sleeping pad might make it work. We are also ways to do more. Like if I stayed a week in the camp ground, I might could spring for a week on a catamaran. Gota be creative when you have a bucket list.