Point & Shoot Camera Recommendations?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Teresa_Rae

Point & Shoot Camera Recommendations?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My sister's boss has asked her to buy a camera for work that takes good pictures and video and she asked me for a recommendation. I've had an SLR for a couple years now so I'm kind of out of the loop on point and shoots.

Any recommendations? She's looking to spend around $300.

Thanks!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I've got a Canon Elph that's a few years old. My wife, daughter and mother all have newer POS cameras and we all agree that mine kicks the most ass.

It shoots a nice picture and has several nifty settings. The video isn't bad...it's just a memory hog.

I've used it in a dive bag and it took good snorkeling pictures.
augie

Post by augie »

Without sounding like a broken record, er, scratched CD, er, corrupted mp3 file...the Canon D-10 is easy to use, has a lot of flexibility if you want to go beyond just using their standard scene modes, takes pretty decent pix and video, and is backed up by excellent customer service - and I believe it comes in under your friend's budget, to boot!
Come see us!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

I have the Cannon G11 and love, love love it! I usually shoot with a DSLR but this little camera is the one I pick up more often now. It may be a little high on the budget, though.
toni

Post by toni »

I've had good luck with the Sony Cybershot series.
It fits in my pants/shorts pocket and I take it most everywhere on vacation. I have a Sony dslr too so maybe I'm partial to them. I see the new series offers a panoramic photo option which looks like fun.
The video is easy to use too.

These are the newest ones-mine are older.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 161#/touch
jmq

Post by jmq »

You can't go wrong with any of the Canon PowerShots. If I were in the market for a point n shoot right now I’d be looking at the Canon PowerShot SX130IS for under $200 with 12x zoom, 3 inch LCD, lotsa nifty shooting/scene modes and 720p HD video. While not as slim as the ELPH series, to me that yields better ergonomics. Looks/color and a slimmer size might be more important to you.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

toni wrote:I have a Sony dslr too so maybe I'm partial to them. I see the new series offers a panoramic photo option which looks like fun.
The video is easy to use too.

These are the newest ones-mine are older.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 161#/touch
Not to hijack the thread, and even though I’ve been a Canon guy for 20+ yrs, I have to admit I am very intrigued by that Sony a55 DLSR that came out a few months ago. They seem to have addressed the technical issues DLSRs have with autofocus when shooting video, not to mention its panoramic and HDR features. It would be handy to be able to shoot photos and high quality HD video with one camera.
Last edited by jmq on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I have a Canon SD880 IS and I love, love, love it! It takes GREAT photos and has a lot of options & settings to play with. It looks like the new version of the same camera is the SD940 IS http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _227055_-1
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

Just bought my wife a new camera for xmas. Had two likely candidates based on reviews and research (A Canon cybershot and a Nikon S8100). Went to the store to let her check them out, and she went with the Nikon.

FWIW - one reason was she liked the user interface. Our several year old Olympus always caused her problems. She is somewhat, uh, GUI challenged... :D Meant in the nicest way, of course, that's why I wouldn't pick it out for her.

So far, very pleased. IIRC we got it for $250 on sale...