Flights to STT

Travel discussion for St. John
kellog24

Flights to STT

Post by kellog24 »

Anyone ever book their flights through Priceline or Kayak.com? When I looked on AA for the flights, the prices were double as compared to Kayak.com. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Thanks!
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

we always search via kayak!
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Kayak is just a search engine - it takes you to the various sites to book (Expedia, etc.).
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

Ok, so you normally book through Expedia, Priceline, etc that you've found through Kayak? I just want to make sure I won't be messing anything up by booking through one of those websites as compared booking straight through AA. Sorry, this is something new for me.
austinill

Post by austinill »

AA and expedia and priceline and the others are having a war right now. AA does not want to sell thru those companies, thus they are not showing cheap prices on American airlines. If you want AA tickets, you have to buy direct from AA.
you can google AA vs. expedia and see what is going on
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I'm not a frequent flyer or anything, but each trip, I have researched other sites and always find that going directly to the airlines' site is just as cheap and I feel more comfortqable booking direct with the airline. Just booked another flight for March with Delta and again, it was cheapest on their site!!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I have booked through Travelocity,Expedia,Priceline, USairways, Hotwire and AA. Ever since the invention of E-Ticket I haven't noticed a difference. Last month I booked my Feb. trip through Orbitz.com since they offer "price assurance" and if the price goes down after purchase, they refund the difference. Currently the price I booked at is still the best price so no refund yet. Kayak is good to search for prices and a number of sites will sale watch for you and email you if the price drops.
KathyMN

Post by KathyMN »

The search engines (travelocity, etc.) DO come up with some pretty amazing fares. I have "fare watch" on several. But......... every time they come up with a great fare, when I check the details, they are 2 or 3 stops, on more than 1 airline, and take 15 - 20 hours to get there. (MSP to STT). In the end, I usually suck it up and book directly through the airline (one), so that I don't have to deal with multiple stops, multiple terminals, and lost luggage. I'd rather pay the price, and have more time on the island!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Some sites will give you the option of seaching a direct flight or a particular flight. Priceline is known for giving you a great price but 2-3 legs because their just filling empty seats. See if you can track the flight you want to take through that airline or try Yapta.com, I think you can track the exact flight you want. Good Luck
savvy

Post by savvy »

I agree with KathyMN. I always spend a lot of time researching flights and prices and then, almost always, end up booking through the airline website. My options are limited for dates of travel and I'd rather pay more to get the schedule I need. :shock:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am another one that uses Kayak and the others for research but always book either directly from the airline or through Amex (I can generally use points for tickets.)

It has also my experience that those great prices are for crappy flight times.
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

If your schedule is limited so will be the price. There's always a number of factors that go into the price you pay! How far in advance you book. Mid-week is always cheaper, which sometimes can limit your rental options. Airport and Airlines are a big factor because they can control the price by controling the gates. I live in NJ and can fly out of Philly, Newark Atlantic City or NY, so I have a number of options and have used all of them to STT. Philly would be my choice but the tickets are always $200- $300 higher than I get out of JFK in NY so I drive the extra hr save some money and like the flight times better. The number of tickets also makes a difference. If my wife and I just go, I can spend the extra for convience but if our 3 kids go, that's a $1000 difference in price so we drive to JFK. Good luck with your search, hope you find a good price. My next trip cost $355 direct R/T
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

Thanks so much for all your replies. I did as most of you said....searched all over the internet, then ended up booking through AA. Got the best price through them. 5 months and 20 days until we arrive in STT!