Spirit Air

Travel discussion for St. John
LMG

Post by LMG »

Spirit, I know, has this reputation, but we just had this same issue with USAirways for a February reservation--- existing flight totally canceled, changed days of travel adding a 6+ and 13+ hour layovers and offered no refund, no lodging compensation, nothing.

I'll never fly with USAirways again, and they're not even a "bargain" airline. They just protect themselves and obviously don't offer an environment for their employees that allows them to have any empathy whatsoever.

It was hard to believe airlines could get worse, yet they keep getting worse.

Sorry you had to deal with that, Tracy.
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

Well, I'm not trying to stick up for US Air, but honestly all airlines have changed and we shouldn't complain about it, it's just the way it is. They had to change to survive, it's a different world out there now. I'm really glad their losses are lower and some are actually making money.

I'm a huge believer in choosing one airline for travel and sticking with them to get higher frequent flyer status, regardless of price. Its guaranteed that things will get screwed up with airlines, and the travelers with higher status will get the best assistance.

I fly roughly 120 flights/year on US Air to get the status and their prices are pretty consistently competitive. I've never had them cancel any flight and move it to another day, I've just never heard of that. But, if you fly out of a smaller airport that has fewer flights in/out by US Air, it could certainly happen and that's also a risky strategy for vacation flights. You are always better off with the airline that has the most action out of your local airport, especially for vacation. We'll be flying to P.R. to surf during the holidays, and I'm really freaked out this year because we had to get connections, and the last few winters have been very stormy around the holidays in New England. One good storm can screw up the vacation for sure!

Oh well, it certainly stinks about the Spirit cancellation, but I'm glad you were flexible. For people who have flexibility, its definitely worth taking a risk to save a few bucks.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Tracy,
Im curious as to where you were to fly out of. I wonder if it is one of the new cities added and maybe it isnt booking as well as they had wished. We had some friends this happened a cpl yrs ago when Spirit was flying out of Columbia, SC. They were cancelled due to their flight just not having sold enough seats and ended up just going to Atlanta, which was better for them as they had family there and needed a dog sitter.. Spirit doesnt fly out of there anymore, Im guessing due to not enough bookings...Not sure... Im glad you were able to work it out though...:)
[/url]
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Worst airline ever! Flew from Atlantic City to STT once and will never do it again. 3hr lay-over in FLL, didnt land til 5pm, tightest seat ever(and I was in the Air Force)had to put bottle of water on a credit card and it wasnt any cheaper. I drive to Philly or JFK now direct and usually make the 2pm from Red Hook. Worst start to a vacation ever! and this isnt even counting their customer service, NOT!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

JJShaw wrote:Tracy,
Im curious as to where you were to fly out of. I wonder if it is one of the new cities added and maybe it isnt booking as well as they had wished. We had some friends this happened a cpl yrs ago when Spirit was flying out of Columbia, SC. They were cancelled due to their flight just not having sold enough seats and ended up just going to Atlanta, which was better for them as they had family there and needed a dog sitter.. Spirit doesnt fly out of there anymore, Im guessing due to not enough bookings...Not sure... Im glad you were able to work it out though...:)
We are booked to fly out of Chicago - not a small airport at all.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay