Live from Grande Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
Tracy in WI

Live from Grande Bay

Post by Tracy in WI »

I'm sitting on our balcony and enjoying the sounds of the waves hitting the shore. As many of you know, my husband and I just purchased a condo unit at Grande Bay and I am here with my girlfriends to get it ready for the rental market (that's our story anyway!)

Yesterday was our first full day and we made the most of it by going for a hilly run, visiting with Ruth for a bit, shopping at the No Fleas Please Flee Market to benefit the ACC, snorkeling and relaxing at a gorgeous Francis Bay and then supporting breast cancer by attending Woody's Save 2nd Base event. We enjoyed pizza from Cafe Roma and have plenty of leftovers to enjoy.

I'll share pictures when we return since some are not suitable for viewing by the masses (note - we had a few painkillers :wink: !).
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
gores95

Post by gores95 »

Congrats on your purchase! We are debating whether or not to rent a 3BR unit at Grande Bay vs. a villa high on a hill somewhere. Just checking with you that all amenities are operational at GB....pool, hot tub, etc. Also how is the fitness center? Is there enough equipment or is it tough to get a machine? Also is there any construction noise?

Thanks and have fun!
Marc

SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Congrats! Sounds like it was a fun-filled day! Can't wait to see the pics. Have a great time!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Sounds like you are off to a good start...Have fun and Congrats !!
[/url]
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Congrats - hope you have lots of rentals and condo sales start booming so they will build more architecturally wonderful structures like Grande Bay along the whole poorly underdeveloped Cruz Bay shoreline.
LMG

Post by LMG »

Exit Zero wrote:Congrats - hope you have lots of rentals and condo sales start booming so they will build more architecturally wonderful structures like Grande Bay along the whole poorly underdeveloped Cruz Bay shoreline.

The people buying these units did not build Grande Bay, and the fact is, Grande Bay was not going anywhere and so occupation IS the best solution. And, if I had to choose someone to occupy this or any property on St. John, it would be someone who has a pride and appreciation for the island of St. John, as I know Tracy and her husband do, as do others who've purchased there.

While your comment may not have been meant to be personal, keep in mind that these are real people you're talking about, with real dreams and a real love for the island.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The Congrats were sincere and personal --- and these people you talk about who have dreams and a love of STJ will finally have the opportunity to buy many more condos if Grande Bay is successful and the developers can make the shoreline a solid row of highrise buildings like many other American resort towns.
I realize not everyone wants more condos but the STJ loving people should have the choice and most of the island can't be developed because of the National Park rules.
Ksea

Post by Ksea »

Congratulations Tracy! What a great girls get-away! I hope you have time to enjoy your wonderful condo when it is not rented out. Looking forward to the pictues.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Which reminds me---how's Sirenusa coming along?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Exit Zero wrote:Congrats - hope you have lots of rentals and condo sales start booming so they will build more architecturally wonderful structures like Grande Bay along the whole poorly underdeveloped Cruz Bay shoreline.
I'm sorry, but I just have to comment. What would you prefer a vacant derelict building, or one which is occupied and cared for? I understand that over development is a significant problem, but the only way to stop it is to get folks organized and get the corruption out of the land use authorities.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I had only positive comments - I feel it is underdeveloped by allowing those 1 and 2 story buildings to be still standing along the waterfront and in downtown Cruz Bay, a good demolition and urban renewal program is sorely needed -- that underutilized land or green space should all be available for Condos and Chain restaurants and franchise shopping like all of America. I don't want derelict buildings and must have been mis-understood.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I get it, you're not a fan of Grande Bay. However, I plan to enjoy every minute of my time here as I have over the past ten years since I have been a tourist to this island.
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Tracy - I have only posted carefully chosen positive words - I am a huge fan of condo development and consider the current state of the STJ waterfront as a deplorable waste of valuable real estate .
You are a ten year veteran tourist and obviously know that things need to be changed and finally done right, not continuing this backward looking style and attitude that has allowed things to go so far downhill over those long 10 years.
I have finally seen the light after 35 years of living here full time here too.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Have a great time Tracy! It's just wonderful with a girls trip to STJ. Please post some pictures :D
JT

Post by JT »

Deleted by JT
Last edited by JT on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.