Jeep Rental Rates

Travel discussion for St. John
BRY1105

Jeep Rental Rates

Post by BRY1105 »

Last time I was on island I was under 25, so I was charged extra for that. Therefore, I am unsaure about the normal average cost for renting a 2 door Jeep for a week. What have you spent including insurance? Just wondering because Im working on budgeting our next trip.
Bryan
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Bryan most of the rental companies are pretty close in cost it will cost you with insurance close to $500. for a week.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

I have found Conrad Sutton to be the cheapest but they also require an early drop off time on your last day.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Conrad Sutton offers parking in their lot while you are in town (some others do, too, but not all). We've used them for years and years. They require you to return your car by 10:30AM on the day of your departure. This usually works fine; if you have time before you need to catch the ferry, you can poke around town and get lunch. Not sure what time other agencies want you to get their cars back by...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Having a spot to park while in town is worth a lot! That may be the deciding factor right there. Does anyone know if St. John Car Rental allows you to park in their lot?
Bryan
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Yes they do, Bryan.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I believe that 10:30am is very standard for the rental agencies.
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

I'm not the seasoned traveler to STJ that many folks on here are, but have rented from both Conrad Sutton and St John car rental. I was successful parking at Conrad on a couple of occasions (showed up and figured if available, fine, if not, I'll skip Cruz Bay) but the one time I NEEDED parking and was going to use the "perk" was with St John Car rental, had an early morning (between 7:30 and 8 IIRC) fishing departure. They weren't open yet and the lot was 100% totally full, maybe if I'd planned ahead and asked something could've been worked out, but I didn't think to check. Found a place on the street that required a healthy walk, all worked out.

As an aside, while I'd like walking Cruz Bay and checking out the shops and going out to eat, the parking hassle is greater than my desire to spend time there. Maybe I just haven't found the tricks, but I've tried several times and never seem to find a spot, even with some guidance from the forum. Make it easy, fine. Make it hard, forget it, I'm on vacation to get away from that sort of hassle. Last trip we hit Mongoose once, had lunch at the Beach Bar on the way in before picking up the car, and hit the shops on the way out after dropping off the car.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

In the many times we've rented with Conrad (usually for two weeks at a time and some years, more than one trip down), we've never had an issue with space in his lot. Note: some people find him grumpy. We haven't. Give him some respect, be patient when you arrive to get your Jeep (he takes his sweet time checking out the vehicle, etc...) and offer up the same respect to his daughters who run the business and you'll have a great experience.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I found C & C Car Rental to be the most reasonable and they did have a discount posted on their site. We went with Paris Car Rental for this year's trip as I waited too long to book and no availability!! Ours were $480 per week.