Trip Report - Cinque Terre

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lovermont

Trip Report - Cinque Terre

Post by Lovermont »

Thank you to JMQ for lighting a fire under by back end. :lol: This report is about a month late.

We enjoyed five days in Cinque Terre last month. We spend most of September at our second home in England, and I usually demand a long weekend somewhere different while we're on that side of the pond. And with Pisa only being a two hour flight (and only $110 roundtrip) I couldn't resist going to this coastal area of Tuscany.

I'm going to post mostly photos, with a little commentary. We stayed in Vernazza, which is the fourth of five towns that make up the Cinque Terre (literally means "five lands" I believe.) The five villages have a foot path along the coast that connects them. That's the big draw for tourists. Some sections are almost a promenade, while others are tricky hikes with climbs that will make you huff and puff a bit.

I'll start with a slew of pictures of Vernazza. It is so picturesque, that we couldn't stop taking pictures from every angle.

We had mixed weather, but except for one afternoon, it didn't stop us from going out and enjoying the scenery. If you enjoy hiking and you go to Cinque Terre, do yourself a treat. Get off of the main coastal trail and get up into the hills. The trails go straight through vineyards, small farms and groves of fig trees (yummy). The higher trails also afford stunning views.

ImageImage

They were harvesting grapes while we were there. The very steep terraced vineyards had a rail system for the farmers to transport their grapes down the hillside.

And here are photos of the other towns that make up Cinque Terre.

Because of a relatively early flight leaving Pisa on our final day, we decided to spend an afternoon and night in Pisa. Here are a few pictures from that day.

ImageImage

Loved, loved, loved the area. I hope to go back again.

Lovermont
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

very cool. thanks for sharing!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

How lovely. Beautiful pictures.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Fantastic photos, Lovermont. Thanks for sharing them.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Beautiful pictures! I never even knew Cinque Terre even existed... now I think I need to go there! :D
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

wow, wow and wow. cinque terre is a visual party.
caribechris

Post by caribechris »

Thanks so much for the photos! We were there two years ago and cannot wait to go back. It is a WONDERFUL place!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thank you for posting these wonderful photos of this gorgeous place... made my heart sing; then the longing began! Bucket list!!! Glad you had such a great trip.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jmq

Post by jmq »

Wow. Nice! Thanks. That place is on the the short list for the next Euro adventure.

Glad the friendly reminder worked.
I should talk though - I never finished the London/Paris trip report I started here. Soon come (?)
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
linne

Post by linne »

Your photos are just fantastic. I have heard before that Cinque Terre should be a lovely place - which I certainly can see here! Thank you for your report.

jmq wrote:I should talk though - I never finished the London/Paris trip report I started here. Soon come (?)
I’m still looking forward to the rest of your report!

Linne
Terry

Post by Terry »

WOW! We stayed there last October when I went with my daughter. I loved, loved, loved the area.

We were in Italy for 2 weeks and could only stay in Vernazza for 1 night, but will be back for more time as I seemed to have left part of my heart there.

Great pictures! Doesn't it feel like a little world within itself?

The people, the food, the wine, the water, the scenery were all remarkable.

But please, don't tell anyone else, or it will be overcrowded. Rick Steves already made it very popular. :-)

Thank you, Lovermont, you brought back so many good memories.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Bella Italia.... so beautiful. We have been to Tuscany and Florence, but our coast experience there was Amalfi and Capri (which, btw, I HIGHLY recommend). Have not been to CInque Terre or Pisa but they look fantastic. Will definitely be back one day and will explore that area, too. Gorgeous shots- thanks for sharing!

jmq- I, too am looking forward to the rest of your TR!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I'm sold!
djmom

Post by djmom »

wow, I am so glad I clicked on your post! fabulous photos!

LOVE the lily one!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."