Recommendations on snorkel gear and underwater camera

Travel discussion for St. John
BuffaloGal

Recommendations on snorkel gear and underwater camera

Post by BuffaloGal »

Hi all. It's time for an update/upgrade to our snorkel gear, and I wanted to see if any of you had recommendations on where/what to buy, what to avoid, etc. We have just purchased moderately priced gear from a sporting goods store in the past. It's fine, but if we're missing out on good features, I'd like to upgrade this time.

Also, would love recommendations on a good underwater camera.

Thanks!
khud

Post by khud »

I bought a Canon PowerShot D10 in April for our annual trip to STJ and have been thrilled with it's performance. My underwater shots came out great. I now take it everywhere with me since it is easy to carry, has been very reliable and takes good pics anywhere. As to snorkel gear, be sure to get the dry snorkel,so that water doesn't get in. The shorter fins fit better in suitcases. If you have a dive shop close by, go in and try on fins to find your size, then order a pair online. Make sure that the fins are comfortable. If one size is too tight and the next size up is too loose then find a pair online that comes in half sizes. Don't believe the salesman if he tells you that the tight fit will ease up in the water. It won't that much and will be heck to get on. If you wear glasses, figure out the magnification of the lenses that is right for you (at the dive shop)and then find a mask online.
sapphirecat

Post by sapphirecat »

If you're only going to snorkel, yes, fortunately, the shorter fins are better. Another thing is to get flexible ones; softer ones; since these are easier on you when you swim on the surface of the water.

I dive and my stiffish long fins are great for underwater propulsion. But they feel so different when I snorkel.

Just make sure they fit comfortably! One blistered pinky toe can ruin a snorkel vacation.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Hi Buffalogal! We're just a little South of you. We bought split fins at a dive shop in Erie. They're called Aqua Glide by Deep See. We like them alot. If you can't find a dive shop in Buffalo, PM me and I'll find the address for the one in Erie.
We also bought the Canon D10 and have been happy with it.
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Any particular sites online that you trust or have good pricing?
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Hi BuffaloGal,

We ordered some things from leisurepro.com, great prices & customer service, I thought (although I do recommend going to a dive shop to try on masks -- that's where I'd gotten mine, and then we ordered the same one for my husband online.)

We took a leap of faith on the fins and they turned out just fine! Full foot fins, and I think mine are regular and my husband's are split -- I've worn both, and I can't see much of a difference.

As for accessories, I definitely recommend a mesh backpack to carry your mask & fins (they sell then on the site for about $10 or so). We love them! Makes it much easier to cart the stuff around or hike with your gear.

My last recommendation is the Sea Drops liquid for your mask -- we've tried the spit method (never seems to work...maybe I've got the wrong kind of spit! :) ) and shampoo, but the commercial stuff seems to work best for us. And the bottle is small, so we take it along on long snorkels. Nothing worse than a stubbornly fogged mask when you're a 15 minute swim from your stuff on shore!
luv2travel

Post by luv2travel »

My last recommendation is the Sea Drops liquid for your mask -- we've tried the spit method (never seems to work...maybe I've got the wrong kind of spit! ) and shampoo, but the commercial stuff seems to work best for us. And the bottle is small, so we take it along on long snorkels. Nothing worse than a stubbornly fogged mask when you're a 15 minute swim from your stuff on shore!
I use J&J baby shampoo for my mask as well as for my grandchildren's goggles. No worries about your eyes stinging or burning. Never a problem with fogging.

Lydia
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't tried the Sea Drops but used a commercial no fog spray that didn't seem to do the trick. I always had good luck with J&J baby shampoo, too, until our last trip. Then it was back to the old spit method. The Sea Drops are definitely worth a try. Thanks again. It's good to hear from people who've had success with specific online sites.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

lark22 wrote:Hi BuffaloGal,

We ordered some things from leisurepro.com, great prices & customer service, I thought (although I do recommend going to a dive shop to try on masks -- that's where I'd gotten mine, and then we ordered the same one for my husband online.)

We took a leap of faith on the fins and they turned out just fine! Full foot fins, and I think mine are regular and my husband's are split -- I've worn both, and I can't see much of a difference.

As for accessories, I definitely recommend a mesh backpack to carry your mask & fins (they sell then on the site for about $10 or so). We love them! Makes it much easier to cart the stuff around or hike with your gear.

My last recommendation is the Sea Drops liquid for your mask -- we've tried the spit method (never seems to work...maybe I've got the wrong kind of spit! :) ) and shampoo, but the commercial stuff seems to work best for us. And the bottle is small, so we take it along on long snorkels. Nothing worse than a stubbornly fogged mask when you're a 15 minute swim from your stuff on shore!
Great advise. I love my split fins and suggest that if there is a dive shop in your area purchase your mask from someone who can help you insure good fit. It's also good to try on the fins. I love my full foot fins and they should fit tightly when dry as they will losen up a bit in the water. I also suggest a dry snorkle tube to help you avoid swallowing salty ocean water. I second the recommendation of Sea Drops. I've tried other brand drops and Sea Drops are the best IMHO.

Good equipment will help you enjoy the snorkle experience 10 time more than junky stuff.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Hi Buffalo Gal, I use to have an awful time with my mask leaking. I went to a couple of dive shops and tried several on untill I found one that my hair line did not interfere with. It is almost a child size. Do try on masks. We love our Shredders (short fins) by US Diver. They are short but broad for good propultion. They are adjustable and you could even use booties if you got them a little big. ( I wear a size 7 1/2 ladies shoe and I am on the low side of a medium) I use a cheep snorkel, but do not have a problem blowing water out of mine. I prefer a commercial defog, but found that if you use real spit, don't rince too much. If all you are going to do is snorkel, the Cannon camera is good, simple to use and has good resolution. We use a Sea Life, but there are draw backs to it;howver, we needed a camera that would work deeper than 30ft because we dive.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Those neoprene booties mentioned are helpful in avoiding fin blisters plus protect your feet a little when walking over rocks etc going in or coming out.

Regarding mask fogging, really focus on training yourself not to breathe in and especially out of your nose at all with the mask on and you will have much less issue with fogging, because after all, it is the nose breathing (even slightly) that causes the fogging.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

I'm looking pretty hard at the Canon camera. It gets good reviews here and on line. We're just snorkelers, so we don't need the depth. I'm interested in comments about the shorter fins. Packing a smaller suitcase would be nice!
Pote

re: the camera

Post by Pote »

I have the latest Olympus waterproof point and shoot and picked it over the Canon based on size, but if I had to do it over, I'd get the canon. Photo quality seems much better with the canon, based on searching Picasa and Flickr for the camera types. I look at other people's everyday pix, underwater and above and IMO the canon ends up with the best photo quality. Plus I had a scare at Trunk Bay where the display blanked out for the day. No clue what happened, I just shot blind that day and by the next day it was fine. But now I lack trust that it will last another season.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We also have the shorter fins for "carry-on only" trips. They are fine for snorkeling.

We have the longer split fins for trips we check a larger bag, but rarely use them now.

We order our masks and snorkels from Leisure Pro as well. Never a problem and quick shipping.

We tried the anti-fog drops, but have had better luck with the spray that comes with the Sea Vision masks. I'm not sure if they sell it separately, but it seems to work better than the thicker gel drops.

We use the Cannon SD950 with a waterproof case. We are keeping an eye on reviews for the D10 and if it seems reliable we may pick one up.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Sorry I'm a little late on this one, but I honestly have had great luck with the snorkel sets you find at Costco. Good quality and great price.

If you go the Leisurepro route, I've had good luck with them as well.
*Another fine scatterbrained production