Worry about Earl?

Travel discussion for St. John
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Thanks for all the great advice. Will be monitoring the storm closely today and getting the villa ready I guess. Maybe thinking of leaving for STT tomorrow and getting a hotel for the night? Not sure though. Will try to contact villa company later for advice. We have trip insurance so I guess that might come in handy at some point if this goes bad.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Call villa company sooner rather than later. I would reserve a room now, as avaiablity will become limited the closer you get. In additon the ferries will stop running and you can expect that the last few runs will be packed so you may not get on. Sorry to be a bummer, but with a young child you might have to resign yourself to making a decison now, either move or hunker down for the storm as your options will be very limited if the storm does make a turn in the next 12 hours or so. Later tonight or in the morning you will not have the same choices avaiable to you now.
Right now the storm has TS force winds extending out 160 miles from the center. If it passes within 60 miles of USVI you will be in the thick of it. Im not saying its not something you can't weather but I would say its decision time now not later.
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Earl is now officially a hurricane. +75 m winds.
stay safe folks!
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

Definitely do not wait until tomorrow if you are thinking about moving over to STT. The storm is moving quickly.
LMG

Post by LMG »

At this point, since you have a place to be here now, I would make sure your family has the essentials and that you talk to the villa company. Monday will not be the day to move anywhere, so let the management give you all the information and protocol you need.

There are things we generally don't have to think of as visitors, like storm shutters and what to use/not use if the power goes out. Charge things now, get water and non-perishables, and try not to panic.

I'm sorry this is happening on your trip! Take care- there's lots of good people around that will help you prepare as needed!
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

OK trying to make decision now. Can anyone give me an idea of a time frame for how long it would be until the ferry/airport are functioning again if we hunker down on STJ? Considering this size storm, etc. And can anyone give me a reccomendation for a safe hotel (or the safest)on STT to be in the storm? Would a move to the Westin on STJ be ok or would it take us a long time to get over to the airport later due to limited ferry service? AArrrgggghhhh! If we hunker down at the villa, where do they move you to if it turns into a hurricane, we are in Aurora a Catered To villa?
LMG

Post by LMG »

Have you talked to Catered To management? Start there. I don't know everything, but you're not necessarily in better shape moving.
Last edited by LMG on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
irbgolfin

Post by irbgolfin »

Not sure how close the forecast has to be, but Catered To's policy is that guests are not allowed in villas during a hurricane, and they refund your money.

http://cateredto.com/Hurricane_Policy.html

Perhaps since the storm was just upgraded, they haven't had a chance to contact their customers, or maybe since the forecast is not for a direct hit?!?!?
djmom

Post by djmom »

Someone said no power, no water. Just to make sure you understand, the water may not work if the power is off. This is different than why we might stock up on water in the states-we would do that in case the water became contaminated, but it would still flow.

In the villas (I'm not sure if it is all villas-someone else can weigh in on that as some might have different systems) the water may not flow at all.

This happened to us at our villa when power went out a few years ago for over 24 hours.

We had to use the pool water to flush the toilets. No shower. It was just a day and a half, no big deal. But we didn't have a baby either. I agree, get out if you can or I like the idea of the Westin too.

Really surprised the villa company has not called to at least check in with you.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

No one state side can answer those questions
for u. Call management, call the Westin and see what they say. For me I plan for the worst and hope for the best. Don't panic but do act. Rember there are alot of folks Ruhr now in the same position as you.
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

National Hurricane network just updated their projected path for 11am, right now not looking good for USVI, i would take all precautions...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh ... e#contents
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

The storm is fast moving so I would expect the airport to be pretty much back to normal Tuesday.

The ferries may stop tonight and not restart until somtime Tuesday.

That would be my thinking as to why to go on over to STT and get a room near the airport if possible.

It's not like you will enjoy your time on STJ tomorrow.
Ali

Post by Ali »

We went thru this w/ Florence back in 2004 or 05 (I think). You have insurance that will cover your expenses. Go to the Marriott on St. Thomas today. You don't know if you will have power on St. John, when the ferries will run ect...trees down, impassible roads ect....with an eleven month old? Get out of Dodge. St. Thomas has more facilities and you will be able to get to the airport. The Marriott is huge and they have generators. You will get compensated by the insurance save all receipts. Good luck and stay safe.
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Headed to the Wyndham! Thanks everyone for the info. Stuff booking up fast so happy we got what we got. Now to pack up. Just more reason to come back sooner to see and do all we didn't get to this trip!Hope everything works out on the island for all.
LMG

Post by LMG »

Glad you have a plan. Good luck!