Yogagirl trip report preview

Travel discussion for St. John
yogagirl

Yogagirl trip report preview

Post by yogagirl »

Hi all, we are on island...have a few more days and thought would share a few details before I return and do a more comprehensive report with pics. Love this forum...it is my number one place to lurk!

Day 1 - had a seamless travel day thank goodness. We carried on luggage (for me a first). I was so skeptical that I could do it! But it was actually fine and I still have not needed everything I packed. Got the 2pm ferry to STJ and got to our villa around 3. Our villa is in the bordeaux area. We had ordered provisions ahead of time which was great. That night we had dinner at Shipwreck Landing...I had conch fritters based on majojims post last week about them. They were great. Not many people there that night and heard they are closing for sept.

Day 2 - breakfast at villa thanks to Splash. Then we ventured over to Maho. We had the beach pretty much to ourselves. Around 12 we left and went to the Tourist Trap for lunch. Amazing food. Splash had the trapdog and I had the grouper taco. Back to the villa for afternoon pooltime and then dinner at the villa.

Day 3 - Breakfast at villa then we headed over to Salt pond bay. We were the only people there. It was very hot and not much shade or breeze so after two hours we headed to skinny legs for lunch. Then back to the villa for some more pool time. Dinner at Aqua Bistro later on.

Day 4 - breakfast at jj's in cruz bay. Picked up a few things at st john spice and then we ventured over to Cinnamon. We were a little nervous to go here since we saw a huge ferry of cruise ship passengers arrive in cruz bay around 9 am but when we arrived at the lot there was not much going on. We had most of the beach to ourselves. Even later on after 12pm when others showed up no one ventured as far down on the beach as we were. I also had my first snorkle experience. Back to the villa late afternoon to get ready for dinner. Ted from Ted's supper club came and cooked for us. He had cooked for us back in May when we were on island with my sister and her husband. For this trip they arranged to have Ted cook for us. Such a great evening.

Day 5 - today. Breakfast at villa and then we headed to lameshur, francis and maho. Prior to heading to lameshur we stopped at Lily's and went to Big Ben's for coffee. They were just pulling chocolate croissants from the oven...so we did have a second breakfast. They were so good a must try if you are in Coral Bay. This was around 8 am so you probably need to be there early to get them oven hot. More snorkeling for me. Lunch again at the Tourist Trap...best nachos we have ever had. I think this might be my favorite place on the island. More pool time in the afternoon and we are probably heading to island blues for a light dinner.

So far overall I would say the island is defintely a little slower than when we came in May. We deliberately planned this trip to spend more time in Coral Bay for restaurants and shopping so I cant speak too much for what is going on in Cruz Bay. We had wanted to go to ms.lucys but that will have to wait until next time. Tomorrow we are going out with Capt Brandi and heading to Jost. More later :)
Nancie-Pa

Post Subject

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Well Yogagirl, it sounds like you're having a very nice time. Eating,beach time,a little shopping,more eating...my kind of vacay!
At what Villa are you staying? Do you like it? Let us know.
Enjoy Jost and may the weather stay good.
Nancie
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
samoka

Post by samoka »

Thanks, yogagirl, I enjoyed your report - sounds like fun so far - can't wait to hear about Jost.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Sounds like a fabulous time. Do you mind me asking about how much it cost to have Ted come cook? Thanks.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks for the TR on the fly. Big Ben's sounds promising.

Looks like you are an honorary Hobbit: First breakfasts, second breakfasts.... filling in the corners :wink:

Tourist Trap is one of my faves. We really like it there and I don't know how Larry does what he does but it's wonderful!

Sounds like you are having a blast!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

What is this "Big Ben's" of which you speak? Must know. Did you say chocolate croissant?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Flip-- I think this is where Big Belly Deli used to be (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

MMMM..... chocolate..... croissant.... FAT and Carbs. What can be bad about that??
*Another fine scatterbrained production
LMG

Post by LMG »

flip-flop wrote:What is this "Big Ben's" of which you speak? Must know. Did you say chocolate croissant?
Yes, it is where Big Belly used to be. Breakfast there is great. A $5 breakfast sandwich on STJ is a steal anyway, but theirs are actually very good on top of that! A great breakfast after an evening of rum appreciation. :)
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Maho, Francis, Nachos, Conch Fritters at Shipwreck, Aqua Bistro, "in house chef",J-J's, and an adventure with Capt. John?!? Are you kidding me?!?
You guys are living the good life, baby!!! :wink:
You're definately hitting quite a few of my all time favorite hot-spots, so needless to say, I'm thrilled for you!
I haven't had one at Shipwreck, but I've enjoyed some pretty darn good Bloody Marys at JJ's.
The ones at Aqua Bistro are slammin', too. I LOVE limin' there. It's one of my top 3 favorite bars on STJ. Way underrated.
So excited for you! Thanks for the TR so far, and can't wait to read more.
Be sure to take the trek to Vie's for a delicious lunch by a gracious hostess, and incredible quiet beach.
Smiles-
MJ
JSL

Post by JSL »

Thanks for the preview! Sounds like a great trip.

Looking forward to the full report.
yogagirl

Post by yogagirl »

thanks for the feedback on my report! It really has been such a great trip. We are starting to prepare for departure tomorrow :(. Oh well. Last few days have been great and will do a full report on Sunday before it all falls out of my brain. Weather has been perfect and love our location. Details to follow.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Sounds like perfection yogagirl- can't wait th hear the details! My condolences on your return to the real world :cry: