Weather topic - rain gauge?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AquaGirl

Weather topic - rain gauge?

Post by AquaGirl »

I know there are some forum folks who are self-named 'weather geeks'. My hubby is somewhat that way and I want to buy him a good rain gauge. Right now, he uses a big ugly white bucket that is not 'wife-approved' yard decor. I bought him something from our local wild bird store, but he says its for looks and too small to be accurate on measuring rainfall, so I returned it.

Anyone know where I can buy a 'real' rain gauge?
We live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC if you know of some place local. When I google rain gauges for sale, I get 56000 hits, so if you know of a good on-line site you can recommend, that would be great.
thanks
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I don't know what kind of stores you have by you I get mine at Fleet Farm it is a store geared to more farm/outdoor living
Tom
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Although I don't know anything about weather, I do know someone who owns a historical farm. They have a rain gauge right by their house, and it's not very big. I don't know how accurate you need to be, but even the small not so good ones are accurate to 1/10 of an inch. Here is one I just found on a Google search that might work,
http://www.storesonline.com/site/453784/product/RG-200
It's accurate to 1/100 of an inch and comes with a money back guarantee. You can have your hubby try it out for awhile and if it doesn't work you are only out shipping costs. It's only $30 and it's not as ugly as a bucket :D
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Once again, I will check with DH. He is one of those weather "geeks". Actually just an all-around good geek.

He has at least 2 gauges around the yard; and at least 3 indoor/outdoor thermometers around the house. I got tired of the "but, it doesn't GO THERE!" battle.
janet
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

When in doubt! Amazon.com. I just checked and they have them from 5 bucks to 50 all kinds.

Oops go through the link at the forum. I think Anthony would like that LOL
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
PA Girl

Re: Weather topic - rain gauge?

Post by PA Girl »

B&J in VA wrote:I know there are some forum folks who are self-named 'weather geeks'. My hubby is somewhat that way and I want to buy him a good rain gauge. Right now, he uses a big ugly white bucket that is not 'wife-approved' yard decor. I bought him something from our local wild bird store, but he says its for looks and too small to be accurate on measuring rainfall, so I returned it.

Anyone know where I can buy a 'real' rain gauge?
We live in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC if you know of some place local. When I google rain gauges for sale, I get 56000 hits, so if you know of a good on-line site you can recommend, that would be great.
thanks
Too funny! DH has a Big White Bucket but doesn't like to leave it sit outside, he is insane about yard appearence. I didn't want the Big White Bucket inside the house waiting to be put into use.

The solution to the Big White Bucket? DH runs outside and puts a drinking glass on the sidewalk. No joke. Of course, that only works when he is at home.

I am in the market for a weather station but the choices are endless. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one.