RIP Waterlemon

Travel discussion for St. John
Seasister

RIP Waterlemon

Post by Seasister »

I am beyond sad. I hate to say goodbye to the treasure that use to be Waterlemon Cay, but it's over and I don't think it can ever recover. We snorkeled there this morning among the masses of tourists with flippers resting firmly on the mostly dead coral. I was traumatized by the "bones" of coral that is now dead. 9 years ago my husband and I snorkeled there when Waterlemon was a breathtakingly beautiful oasis of life. It's a graveyard now. I hate to say it, but I wish the "officials" would shut it down. As we hiked in, I counted 49 people. Watching some of them stand on the coral made me viciously angry. We left. RIP Waterlemon. God Bless the rest of the island.
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

We hiked the Johnny Horn a few days ago and snorkeled around the key. Beautiful coral and fish. I guess most of the folks were swimming from the beach. It was pretty crowded in the water. Still some nice stuff. People need to be educated on how to snorkel without actually damaging it! Hope you were still able to enjoy...we sure did! However, the hike home was a tough one!
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

We hiked the Johnny Horn a few days ago and snorkeled around the key. Beautiful coral and fish. I guess most of the folks were swimming from the beach. It was pretty crowded in the water. Still some nice stuff. People need to be educated on how to snorkel without actually damaging it! Hope you were still able to enjoy...we sure did! However, the hike home was a tough one!
Seasister

Post by Seasister »

You know, if I hadn't been there 9 years ago, I may have enjoyed what remains today. But as we hiked up and I saw people standing on the island, I knew something was weird. In the old days, you couldn't get to the island for all the coral. I guess years of people trampling over it, cleared the way so now you can swim right over and walk around.

We had a great time on the island and did much great snorkeling too. I'm just sad about Waterlemon. I really looked forward to going back there. It was a huge disappointment.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I, too, have seen people standing on coral at Waterlemon. I think it was this past summer when a guy was kicking it and I said to him "you're kicking the coral" and he stared at me blankly and continued to do it. What is wrong with people?

I do think the NPS could do a better job educating people about it. The small signs that are only in a few places aren't enough, but I can't figure out why people just assume it's ok to stand and kick coral. It seems like common sense to me that it's a bad idea.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Sorry you were disappointed.

Sadly, you can say that about just any place you can think of today. The earth is being used and abused. the waters are warming up all around the globe and coral is dying at record pace in all oceans. My personal "Waterlemon" is Secret Harbour STT. completely amazing 10 years ago. Then it seemed the coral all died. Went back this past April and it's on the upswing. Had a newbie with us and he was beyond delighted with it. Best thing in the world he'd ever seen. That said, it's still amazing in my book.
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
BillnSue

Post by BillnSue »

This is a topic close to my heart. I've been coming since '85...My (new and beautiful) wife Sue and I more frequently since meeting six years ago. There is no question as to the deterioration. So sad. Education, yes...and enforcement...even if it's civil enforcement...speak up to those who are clueless. Bleaching, from warmer waters, are one thing...but flagrant disregard...ignorance...quite another. As my father used to say, "Ignorance is curable, but stupid is forever" This doesn't need to be "forever".
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Our son was snorkeling last week at Roatan Island, Honduras, and was noticing the same thing happening
there. He said-If you don't respect the beauty of the coral enough to be careful not to damage it, you shouldn't be in the water.