Escaping Cancun

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We love Mexico and Cancun was our yearly trip for awhile, then we headed to Playa Del Carmen and then it became St. John.

Where are you staying in the hotel zone? The only thing I wouldn't do is rent a car. Transportation within the zone is easy and you can get private transportation to Tulum/Akumal for a reasonable rate. I love both areas for a day trip and with a private driver you can spend whatever time you want!

Also, taking the ferry across to Isla Mujeres is a favorite of ours. Arrive by ferry, walk to rent a golf cart for the day, drive around the island to explore, great beach bars for watching sunset, just a low key island. We snorkeled at Garrafon I think the name is on Isla and it was pretty decent, but not StJ! Also, Isla Contoy can be a day trip too I believe.

I'm sure you will have a great, much deserved trip!
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

Thanks everyone. I am starting to feel a little better about the trip so it will not be going out to the highest bidder after all. I am really just going to eat and drink margaritas anyway. Hope to see you all back in St John real soon.
loria

Post by loria »

Pat, have you tried looking at the lonely planet forum? if you go into the thorn tree forum and go to the mexico branch you will get all sorts of information--when are you going? hope we don't miss you in May
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

Thanks Loria. I have never looked at Lonely Planet before. Hope you did not just give me another daily vice! I will check it out. We are leaving on the 15th for just a week. We are gone but the staff will keep the place running while we are away. When are you arriving? I am really trying to put faces to everyone's names this year so I hope I don't miss you too.
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Pat- if you go to Playa del Carmen , give La Tarraya a try. It's on the beach and is run by wonderful local folks. The fish is "off the boat" fresh and is prepared in a variety of ways including authentic Mayan preparations. The margaritas are to die for and you can sit, feet in the sand, eating and drinking to your hearts content for really short $.
loria

Post by loria »

ShipwreckPat wrote:Thanks Loria. I have never looked at Lonely Planet before. Hope you did not just give me another daily vice! I will check it out. We are leaving on the 15th for just a week. We are gone but the staff will keep the place running while we are away. When are you arriving? I am really trying to put faces to everyone's names this year so I hope I don't miss you too.
we arrive on the 22nd leave on the 30th--so we'll probably catch up with you--we were there over christmas the past two years--we hung out one night (this past trip) at the bar for a bit with your friends michael and susan from salisbury ma (or that was where their business was? it was the night they had arrived i believe)-have a great trip to Cancun!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ShipwreckPat

Post by ShipwreckPat »

Well we did as planned and escaped Cancun. Just too busy for my kind of vacation but the escape happened when we got on a ferry to Isla Mujeres. Love, love, love it. It reminded me of Coral Bay years ago. Picture toes in the sand lunches of the freshest fish, margaritas and mojitos, balmy breezes, lazy Latin beats in the back ground and that was our vacation. No running around looking for temples or driving hours and hours to see a snorkel spot, just lazing in the Mexican sun and letting someone else make the fish tacos for a change.

We did see some ruins of Ixchel which are right on Isla so I felt I fulfilled my tourist obligation on this little 5 mile long strip of land 8 miles from Cancun.If anyone wants more info on this magical place please feel free to pm me. We stayed at a brand new (as in we were the very first guests) condo on the Caribbean side of the island. Only 6 units plus a penthouse, roof top pool and underground parking for the rented golf cart. Must be getting old as 20 miles and hour seemed just right!
lprof

Post by lprof »

That sounds like a perfect escape! Glad you enjoyed your vacation.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Wish I would have seen this sooner! I was going to recommend Puerto Morelos. It is a few miles south of Cancun. A very quiet fishing village. The main draw is the snorkeling reef. It is a national park and you have to pay the guides to take you out in their boats. Well worth the money!
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!