Negril, Jamaica advice

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
2beachbums

Negril, Jamaica advice

Post by 2beachbums »

Our friends want us to go on a quick cheap trip to Negril Jamaica this Dec. They came with us to STT/STJ last December. We had a great time together and are willing to give it a try. We're just wondering if anyone can give us a heads up on anything! Where to stay or not to stay. We like to have a good time, but not Spring Break style! Any areas that have safe beaches where you are not packed in like sardines? Thanks!
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Stayed on Negril Beach YEARS ago. So I can only tell ya from my experience about 15 yrs ago ...
The beach is approx 7 miles long, so it doesn't really get crowded in one certain part. Never felt unsafe in Negril ... most of the "hustlers" n' such are at the cruise ports and airports from what I remember.
I would definately return to Negril or any "non cruise port" area of JA with no hesitation. Went to YS Falls, which was a cool place, and the Black River as well as Nine Mile - childhood home of Bob Marley. JA is a very beautiful island!! My next visit would be to the Blue Mountains. The coffee is awesome too!

If you have any specific questions and I have an answer, I will.
Good luck with your planning!!

Kathy
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I haven't been to Negril in years but can vouch for it being a beautiful stretch of beach.

My sister and her husband rent a villa on the beach every year. They love it, and it always sounds like a fairly quiet, relaxed time.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Its been quite a few years for me, too, but I recall Couples Swept Away as having a beautiful beach and an attractive resort layout---it usually places fairly high in hotel rankings. The Caves also gets great reviews---its waterfront but not on the beach, exactly, but you might take a look---unique property.
---Jim
augie

Post by augie »

We stayed at Swept Away for a week and loved it. But that was back in '99, before it was owned by Couples. Beautiful beach, laid back place, and even though there are quite a few options to keep you busy on site, there are some interesting off site excursions as well. We had a great time on the sunset sail/booze cruise to West End!
Come see us!
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Hey again, 2 beachbums :) Thought I'd come back just to add that my last visit to JA was via cruise ship 2 years ago ... that is why I mentioned in my earlier post that I would avoid any cruiseport in JA. Hubs and I couldn't tolerate that vibe there in Ocho :( I'm sure it could be a lovely place on off days but the lure of the ship loads of tourists brings out the worst of the worst hustlers.

We hired a pvt van/driver and headed for the mountains and found the JA vibe that we LOVE 8)

Hope you get to go!! Oh and we stayed right on the beach in a condo right next door to the Grand Lido.

Enjoy... YAY!! My ticker is looking awesome :D
Kathy