Day 10: Good-bye always sucks, Ferry Freak-outs, ATL Delays!

Travel discussion for St. John
flip-flop

Day 10: Good-bye always sucks, Ferry Freak-outs, ATL Delays!

Post by flip-flop »

Day 10: Good-bye always sucks, Ferry Freak-outs, DELAY in ATL, and finally HOME AGAIN!

Well, as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. I can't begin to explain how grateful and recharged I felt after 10 days at Ms. Pia's beautiful home, so comfortable and classy. Just absolutely the best gig in the world. Pia adores her dogs and I felt very trusted to be their co-caretaker for the week!! It was so awesome to have a home away from home for a while that included amazing views and two fun pups and a Beach BFF to boot! I know its a rough life.

The final day was spent doing housekeeping duties. I didn't want to leave anything in disarray, so laundry, tidying up and what not. And of course, the DREADED packing. How is it that I always bring about 5x what I need and when I am there it expands in such a way that getting it back in the bag is a beeeeeotch?

All packed up and organized, I headed up for a last spell on the deck.

It just really never does get old. My flight was at 1:15 so I wanted to give myself plenty of time, especially due to the in season nature of the time of year. We were aiming to hit Deli Grotto for a sammie to go and to make the 10 am ferry.

By 9 am we headed over the hills to Cruz Bay. Bye bye Coral Bay. Bye Bye On a Whim! Bye TIKI and COKI! We stopped at Deli Grotto first so I could grab my lunch and pick up some last minute snacks and then we were off to the ferry dock. I thought 9:45 arrival would give me plenty of time. When I arrived the line was all the way back to the STJ Spice stairs. YIKES!

I said my goodbyes to LMG and headed to get in line. It was SO awesome to spend a week with someone like her. As we both said/thought, it could have been so really AWFUL but instead it was so really great. She is one cool chick. EVEN THOUGH she tried to kill me. All was forgiven on the ferry docks as I departed ;-) Thanks LMG for such a fun time!!

So I get in the long line and people are still lining up behind me. There were a couple of really freaked out peeps! The line was moving but slowly and I think folks thought they were gonna pull the ferry out at 10 am on the dot. They won't. As it was the ferry ended up leaving around 10:10. Everyone on board.

The best thing you can do in this situation is remain calm, have your money ready and be patient and relaxed. Freaking out doesn't help. I saw one guy totally go off on the ferry guy and I will say that the ferry guys response was cool and collected and the freaking out didn't help at all!

Ruth popped down to say bye and offer to take the Walk of Woe photo but I just couldn't do it. But chatting with her did make me feel better at least for a few minutes. Right up until I remembered I had to get on that damn ferry!

I had earlier in the week texted my hubby to request that he just pack them all up and meet me there vs. me coming home. That didn't go over all that well!
I was a little stressed about the timing and really hoped I had given myself enough time. Ended up at the airport by 11:30 and had plenty of time to maneuver through customs. I had checked in online and was able to avoid the lines which were pretty crazy. When all was said and done, I had a good hour or so to kill before boarding. Soon enough my chariot awaited...

I hate this part! HATE IT.

Though I will say it did ease the pain knowing that I was heading home to my little people and my hubby!
If things had gone according to plan I would have been home by 9pm and the kiddos were going to come with daddy to pick me up. As things actually turned out, we had major delays in Atlanta. When I arrived, skies were blue and clear, about 15 minutes later the sky turned black and it poured rain and there was lightning and thunder. As quickly as it came it was gone leaving behind a gorgeous rainbow you could see end to end.

But of course, it is Atlanta, and that was enough to totally screw all outgoing flights. My 7:20 departure soon became, 8:20, then 9:20. We finally got out of Atlanta at 10:15 or so. Arriving way too late for my people to come get me :-(

Finally arrived at home around midnight, dumped the stuff and curled up in my own bed. I was missing Coral Bay but also loving my comfy surroundings at the same time. It is always so bittersweet to return from a place I love so much to a place that is my home that, of course, I also love.

But I know there will be a next time. Don't know when, don't know how, but I do know it will soon come!

Till then...thanks for all of your kind comments and fun responses!

Peace, Love & Beaches....
Flip-Flop

For those who may have missed an installment:

Day 1: Getting There is always the longest day ever!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ht=#188726

Day 2: Ferry to Jost, Hanging out with Mic & Visiting with Ivan!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... sc&start=0

Day 3: Hiking Drunk (the bay or Brown Bay if you are a stickler MBW), Beachtime and other stuff

Day 4: Maaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhho, Skinny's, Hi Ruth & Lime Inn Key Lime Pie!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ht=#189169

Day 5: Hiking Brown Bay, Vie's Beach, Vie's Lunch

Day 6: St. Pattys on St. John, Lameshur, Tourist Trap & Donkey Diner Pizza!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ht=#189378

Day 7: Ram Head, Honeymoon, and Aqua Bistro with Rev. Raven!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... ht=#189481

Day 8: Bye Mama Flip-Flop, Hanging out in Cruz Bay, PIRATES

Day 9: Mahhhhhhho Again, LMG tries to kill me & Blue's Fest!
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... hp?t=16083
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Nicely done, Flip ~ nicely done.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us all.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Very much enjoyed all the reports and super photos... felt the joy and the pain at times. Am really glad you two had such fun. And I too, appreciate your taking the time to share the experience.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

fantastic! thank you! on to your next adventure ;)
samoka

Post by samoka »

Your trip reports were great - reminded me of trips I have taken with my BFF - thanks.
JT

Post by JT »

Super job, Flipper! Thanks for all of your efforts.
One month from today we head down! I'm working hard between now and then to make enough dough to cover our bar tabs.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
carron

Post by carron »

Loved your trip reports. I feel the same way as you about leaving. It gets worse every time we visit!!
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Beautiful Trip Report Flip Flop, and it was my great pleasure to be able to finally meet you this time around. Thanks for all your kind words, and no, I'm still not inspired to make the walk up that hill...

One thing you said at the end really hit home:

"It is always so bittersweet to return from a place I love so much to a place that is my home that, of course, I also love."

That's exactly the way Marcia and I feel every time...

See you again soon, I hope...
Taghan

Post by Taghan »

A great ending (well, maybe not literally for you!) to a great series of trip reports! Thanks for taking us on a virtual vacation with you!!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

How awesome to have 10 days to yourself!
LMG

Post by LMG »

A very big thank you to you, FF! It was, as always, a very fun and relaxing time for me but a pleasure and SO refreshing to be joined by people that were so easy to be around. Having experienced the opposite I can't begin to describe how valuable that is!

I also must thank you for doing this report as clearly my trip report days are gone. :) Thanks SO much for letting me relive the memories with you!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Very nice trip report. It was a fun read. Thanks for taking the time to bring us all along on your adventures.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Really great reports! I'm sure you were glad to be back home with the family refreshed from 10 days in paradise! Thanks for taking the time to write and organize! :D
bevm

Post by bevm »

Thanks for taking the time to do a T.R. Amy....I know how busy you are with the kids...Sounds like you and Les had a blast!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Thanks for the fun reports.

I couldn't believe how long the ferry lines were when I was there last month.

Both times I've been to St. John without DH, the WOW wasn't bad at all. I was almost anxious to get back home.

I'm sure the next full flip-flop family adventure will soon come.
janet