me vex wit de chupse!

Travel discussion for St. John
Cruzan

me vex wit de chupse!

Post by Cruzan »

'rass meh son! You don't know what I say?

Check, check:
http://www.cruciandictionary.com/cruzan ... ary/m.html

Fo' all 'adem yankin'! me bust'up reading the ting!
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Thanks for the link! L-O-V-E this site! Having so much fun looking at all the words. I know a lot of them, but there are some new ones to me.
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

I love this! Thanks!

- Ruth
lprof

Post by lprof »

Fun reading... I am spending too much time here, but thanks for the link. :oops:
... no longer a stranger to paradise
islandgirl

Post by islandgirl »

thanks i need this. will print this out and bring with!!! :oops: :oops:
djmom

Post by djmom »

fun, fun.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Cool link! I wonder if chupse is the same the ttssskkkk sound I make when I'm ticked off?
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

Minde...kind of, except we use it for a lot more than that! Not only when you are PO'ed. It's used in our house when you are jokingly displeased with something, or can't believe something. My 8 year old son has times when he is playing video games that all you hear is chupsing!

There is a "chupse" that is also called "sucking your teeth" and this one sounds different and is used for total disgust. This one you do by, sucking your teeth (duh) and the other chupse is more like sucking your cheeks and smacking your lips a little.

This site is totally cracking me up! My husband has taught me a wealth of new vocabulary over the last three years and it is fun to go through this site. There are a lot of words, spellings, sayings, on this site that are specific to St. Croix. St. Thomas and St. John have their own set of words and in some cases, different pronunciations of similar words. For instance, if you look up chook, you will also see jook, and that is how I hear people on St. John say it. Also nyampi, is said yampee. Something I hear from natives that always screwed me up was poop. That means fart. BIG difference back in Michigan when I grew up!