Cheapest Place to buy beer on St John???

Travel discussion for St. John
pipergal

Cheapest Place to buy beer on St John???

Post by pipergal »

Hello I am "Julie",cruise director for our upcoming trip of 8 people (3 being FDNY fireman and 1 being a fireman whose being sworn in upon our return) and I have searched previous posts and can not find this info. Hubby and I have been to STJ many times before and a case of Corona, big bottle of Cruzan light, and a few bottles of wine usually hold us over for the week. But with 8 thirsty people, I am worried all the beer consumtion at the villa might break the bank. So currently where is the cheapest place on STJ to buy beer, or is it pretty much the same wherever you go? Thanks so much for your help, we take off in 25 hours YIPPEEE!!!
LB
Pipergal
Pia

Post by Pia »

Pretty much (I think) the same, probably within a few dollars per case. As we go to CUL on STT for our beer, I'm not 100% on this but someone will help :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Last time we were there my DH said the best prices were at Dolphin in Cruz Bay and Love City in Coral Bay.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Got a giggle - cheap and St John - there's an oxymoron!! Anyway, we found Love City in Coral Bay and Pine Peace Market reasonable.
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

Most of the stuff I drink at home averages about $8.99 a six pack, so I didn't really find beer to be that "expensive" on STJ. The wife and I stuck mostly to V.I. Brewing Co. beers that were comparably priced. I didn't really compare pricing on stuff like Bud or Miller though. Cruzan costs us about $2.00 more per bottle here than on the island too.
Counting down the minutes.....
RickG

Post by RickG »

When we have a big group it usually saves us about $50 to hit CostULess or Plaza Extra on STT. If you drink a lot of soda then the savings will be greater.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

If you go to CostuLess and buy many cases of beer you would likely have a STT rental car -- it is a good plan then but if you are traveling to Red Hook by taxi wouldn't the ferry and taxi baggage charges apply to the many cases of beer and soda?? Just asking a logistical question here.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Exit Zero wrote:If you go to CostuLess and buy many cases of beer you would likely have a STT rental car -- it is a good plan then but if you are traveling to Red Hook by taxi wouldn't the ferry and taxi baggage charges apply to the many cases of beer and soda?? Just asking a logistical question here.
Yep, we rent on STT. I also find that it's not worth the hassle if you have four or fewer people.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Drumbiker wrote:Most of the stuff I drink at home averages about $8.99 a six pack, so I didn't really find beer to be that "expensive" on STJ. The wife and I stuck mostly to V.I. Brewing Co. beers that were comparably priced. I didn't really compare pricing on stuff like Bud or Miller though. Cruzan costs us about $2.00 more per bottle here than on the island too.
I live in PA and thanks to our tightly controlled state system, booze is more expensive than in a lot of states so like Drumbiker, I am not shocked by booze prices on STJ. Liquor is definately cheaper, beer is just a bit more on STJ and wine, depending on what we are buying is the same or just a bit more than at home.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I grew up in Pennsylvania - we had a beer delivery man - every Sat. morning the local brewery would have a truck pick up the cases of empties off our porch and replace them with full ones, pick up the money from last weeks bill and leave a new one. My job as #1 son was to take all the beer downstairs and fill the beer refrigerator and take the empties, in cases back out to the porch.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Exit Zero wrote:I grew up in Pennsylvania - we had a beer delivery man - every Sat. morning the local brewery would have a truck pick up the cases of empties off our porch and replace them with full ones, pick up the money from last weeks bill and leave a new one. My job as #1 son was to take all the beer downstairs and fill the beer refrigerator and take the empties, in cases back out to the porch.
While I don't remember beer deliveries, great idea BTW, I do remember both grandparents having milk and dairy boxes on the front porch. I am guessing that lasted until the mid-late 70s.

I do remember all beer, at least the beer consumed by my family, coming in returnable bottles. And it was the kids' reasonability to run the empties to the basement and bring up more beer.

My Pappy's house beer was Reading pounders (16oz) and those bottles were made to last. My cousins and I would set the empties up like bowling pins and roll balls into them. I don't ever remember one breaking.

In the area I grew up, each town had at least one brewery, some had several. All but Yuengling are gone (for many, many years) now. Soda bottlers too. I especially remember ginger ale from one particular bottler. Yum!
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

If you are a fan of St. John Brewer's Tropical Mango Pale Ale (or any of their other lines of beer), I believe the TAP Room sells the cheapest 6 packs - not to mention they have a lot of beer on TAP as they have recently added lines...

http://www.stjohnbrewers.com/taproom.html

:wink:
ccinhbg

CUL

Post by ccinhbg »

Does CUL also sell rum? Our last trip we picked up Rum and beer at K-mart but it sounds like CUL has better prices
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

CostuLess sells rum - the savings between there and Kmart are varying as one has something cheaper but more expensive on something else - the food choices at CUL are much better and very different than Kmart if you are doing a provisioning stop beyond the basics of beer and rum.
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

Thanks. That's helpful to know. We will have a vehicle and planned on doing a bit of provisioning before heading over to STJ