Anna Maria Island

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
BasUR

Anna Maria Island

Post by BasUR »

Is anyone familiar with Anna Maria Island, Florida? How are the beaches? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Isn't it directly north of Longboat Key?
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
BasUR

Post by BasUR »

Yeah it is in the area of Longboat Key, Sarasota, Siesta Key...
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Marcia's parents used to have a place on Longboat key. We have driven through Anna Maria many times. I liked it because it looks like the "old" Florida...no high rises. It had a nice vibe to it. But, that's all I know about it.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Terry

Post by Terry »

My folks lived in Venice, FL. We went down to see them and then took a drive up to Anna Maria to visit some CO friends that were building a house on the island. (1990's)

It's quaint and sort of Mom and Pop type of place. Not a lot of restaurants or shopping. Just layed back.

The beach is white sugar type of sand and the water is gorgeous. Not like STJ, but nice.

We prefer Longboat Key. Not for the highrises or prices, but for the beaches and water.
Lex

Post by Lex »

There was just a travel article in the Boston Globe about Anna Maria Island and other places in Florida:

http://www.boston.com/travel/getaways/u ... to/?page=1
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

What are you looking for, specifically, in a Florida beach vacation? I've spent A LOT of time in Florida, all over, most notably in the Longboat Key area. As Pete mentioned, my parents lived there for 17 years and just recently moved into Sarasota. I am pretty familiar with all of it.

If you have any specific ideas for what you want, throw them out here. If you already have made arrangements and want details, throw those questions my way, too.

Happy to help.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I know Lido Key and Siesta Key, but not Anna Maria. That used to be my go-to place, as well!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

I wrote my sister to ask her for feedback as she spent her Jan vacation on Anna Maria island....this is her reply:

"We just spent two weeks at White Sands Beach Resort and will spent time looking around for a more upscale condo for next year. This resort is 50s style motel made into efficiencies. I had hoped for more, but the owners and staff were so very nice. The BEST part is it was just 50 feet from the beach and we had direct access to it. The beaches are great on this island! Not all places have beach access. Some must walk through public accesses. We LOVE the area, especially the north end of the island. It is laid back and relaxed and peaceful. January was very cold this year. I’d recommend this area to anyone. So much nice real estate and many nice places to eat! We found great fish and meat market in Sarasota and discovered a wonderful farmers market full of inexpensive great quality produce. Nice things going on in Sarasota/Bradenton area. You can go online and find many nice places to rent or buy. We have been going to Florida for short time periods for about 10 years and we are in love with this island. "