Need your opinion!

Travel discussion for St. John
Jamestown

Need your opinion!

Post by Jamestown »

Hi folks,
Contemplating summer vacation...we're big STJ fans, but considering an all-inclusive Caribbean trip with two teenage daughters. Does anyone have a suggestion? My fear: we'll go somewhere and be totally disappointed and keep comparing it to STJ.
Thanks!
Jamestown
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

I think you just answered your own question. Anything less than STJ is going to be ..... ah, less than STJ.

Seriously good luck with your decision. We're heading back to STJ in just a little over a month. Anytime we go somewhere else I just want to kick myself.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

In my opinion, it depends on whether the focus is on the kids having a good time or on you having a good time.

We have brought our teenage kids to STJ twice. But, this last year we ended up going to an AI in Cozumel. They selected it over STJ because there was more for them to do. It would not have been our first choice, but it was theirs.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I agree with Pete. I love St. John, as do my kids. My kids, however, love Cabo just as much as STJ. Some of the subtle (or not-so-subtle)differences are lost on them. They enjoy the higher activity level in a big Mexican resort. So, just let go a little and don't expect it to be the same as STJ.
---Jim
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

How about Wyndham Sugar Bay in STT? They are A.I. with a lot of activities for kids/teenagers. That way you'll be a ferry ride away from STJ for a quick fix...or two!

Other places that might fit the bill - Bahamas (H2O is very similar to that on STJ), Aruba (lots to do on 7 mi beach). I think most of the A.I. places are in Jamaica (you'll be "stuck" on the resort area) and Mexico (Cancun, Cozumel).

What do they like to do?
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

They love to swim and explore. Actually, my 18 year old is pulling for STJ. The 15 year old wants more activities, i.e. jet skis,etc. I tried to convey the message of more people=more beat up reefs. They were not happy about that!!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

We really liked the Bahamas. It is very very different from St. John but there is a lot to do and the water is amazing. We went in June. We stayed at the Harborside at Alantis (a condo that is a little ways from the Atlantis via shuttle).

My teenage boys really liked both and don't prefer one over the other but we haven't been to St. John for a while and they would like to go back over our XMAS 2010 trip. My point is that none of us left and regretted going somewhere other than St. John. It is crowded. I would go the first week in June before the crowds are in full force.

Gina
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

I agree with XOXO. We stayed at the Atlantis also and there is plenty to do for kids. It isn't STJ at all and it is a totally different vibe. That time of year you may get a great deal.
Life begins where the land ends!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Sounds like it's 3 to 1 for STJ. Our kids (13 and 10) aren't older yet but have been coming to STJ for 8 years now and insist that's where we go on Spring Break no disscussion needed. They've also been on a few cruises...Florida...Disney a bunch too.

And I know Mama would not like an AI.(if Mama's not happy, nobody's happy) In my opinion, there's less to do at an AI with the crowds, and being at one beach and the same pool and being in a room vs all there is to do on STJ in a villa. Besides, we're paying...LOL.

And they also like the rum prices better...:)