Rick's St John Hideaway, a Natural Retreat

Travel discussion for St. John
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I gotta admit, the listing looks cool, if you're into that kinda thing. I've walked from Skinny Legs up King Hill to the yogurt stand, so it can be done (actually, it was part of a long walk that started at Maho Camps, along to Waterlemon, over Johnny Horn, lunch at Skinny's, up King Hill, down the North Shore road to Maho Bay, and then ending up the goat path back at Harmony... whew - and I'm pushing 50!) However, the comment about lugging the beach stuff is valid; that might change everything. Hitchhiking to and from that location would probably be relatively easy, although I don't speak from experience. Also, the bus could be used along Centerline. All of that being said, I agree that a Jeep is the way to go, but if it's out of the question, there are ways to get around.

I'm sure we'd love to hear about your experience if you do end up staying at Rick's. Whatever you do... Enjoy!

Lovermont
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

soxfan22 wrote:
soxfan22 wrote:Well this doesn't seem nice.

I like Rick.
Sorry Vichuga! I misinterpreted your post (thought it was spam). My fault...
Sox - I think I too thought it was in reference to "our" Rick. Who knew he had a little cottage on the island? Party at RickG's place!!!! :lol: :lol:
Pia

Post by Pia »

"Pristine Maho Bay is the nearest swimming beach within easy walking distance" Ha is all I have to say about that :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mdcoles1

Post by mdcoles1 »

Even if you are triathelete or you are a avid hiker the terrain is STEEP.Twisting and turning VERY narrow unlit streets-no sidewalks- and on the curves absolutely no shoulder

I agree....every time I see people walking, I think how unsafe it really is..thats during the day....at night you would have to have a death wish!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Vichuga-
I've never heard of Rick's joint. I'll take a look-see... However;
dejavu (and pretty much everyone else) put it as painlessly as possible. Regardless of the condition that you're in, I gotta' tell you; rent a Jeep.
Yes, you can walk it. Yes, you can hitch a ride. Yes, you can wait for a bus. Yes, you can grab a taxi.
However, any/most of these options could prove time consuming,exhausting, as well as unreliable.
Don't get me wrong, I most certainly do not go on vacation to be in a hurry to get anywhere. Quite the opposite, honestly.
You'll get the best "bang for your buck" while visiting STJ with a Jeep rental. Your options will obviously be without limits.
The island has so much to offer, and although sometimes "getting there is half the fun", you'll be missing out on a bunch. Heck, "getting there is half the fun" is a great time-in a car! Sorry so wordy, but there's just so much more to do than spend your days walking up/down those hills.
Just putting it out there-
Good luck, and hope to hear about your safe travels.Keep left, and always
Smiles-
MJ
Last edited by mahojim on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I must clarify - if you are coming to STJ to experience the hiking and nature, and that is your intent for your vacation ie: a hike for 3 hours, stop and have lunch, a 5 min beach experience for a quick cool off and then back to hiking (and yes there are such people fellow forumites :) ) then absolutely no car, and that hill to Maho, given your fitness level would be fine but if you want to visit all of the beaches, relax and snorkel (and drink a few cold ones) then imo that hill after a day at Maho would be no fun :(

If the latter is how you are intending your stay then I say 100% rent a car :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

soxfan22 wrote:
soxfan22 wrote:Well this doesn't seem nice.

I like Rick.
Sorry Vichuga! I misinterpreted your post (though it was spam). My fault...
I thought so too, Sox. I'm glad it's not and that people are stepping up to offer advice! :)
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

Forum has spoken.
Looks like we need to start researching Jeep rentals.
Thanks everyone for your advice!!!
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

the whole point of st. john is to visit as many of the glorious beaches as possible. Theeeee best part of st. john is exploring. Why limit yourself to a few beaches and a lot of walking? We have been to st john 7 times and counting...before kids....while pregnant...and after kids... All experiences have been different...but depending on your stay...consider renting at STT and driving over.....on the car ferry....or renting a jeep for part of your stay....well worth the $$$...and this coming from people who have camped at Cinnamon Bay, renting condos, and villas.....we have ALWAYS have had a car.....

do it...you won't be disappointed....
loria

Post by loria »

Vichuga wrote:Thanks for your input. It just seems such a waste of money to rent a car for a couple of short drives – from the cottage to the beach, from the beach to the eating place and back. We plan on renting a boat for one day, go sailing for a day, so will not need a car on those days. Did anyone use bus transportation to Coral Bay?
if this is your first visit (and i am sayingthis assuming it is) --i would certainly rent a jeep--even if only for a day or two-- the VITRAN is great but it cannot get you to certain areas that would be great to explore-and the drives to certain beaches are not really short---but if you are a marathoner, then maybe that doesn't matter?--if you have a map and if you have at least one book (feet fins andfourwheel drive or 'ST Johnj off the beaten track' are two good ones that would probably be available in your library--hen hitch hiking is a great option as well--always worked well for us.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Vichuga

Post by Vichuga »

Collective Wisdom won!
I have reserved a Jeep for the week and feel really good about it - it looks like it will open up some additional possibilities and will make vacation more enjoyable (more expensive too)!!!
Thanks everyone for the advice. Hubby is super excited about the 8 tough miles race - he will definitely do it, i might do it as well.
Thanks everyone again.... Can't wait until February 20.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Smart move. You won't regret it. Driving on island and exploring STJ's nooks and crannies is half the fun!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Vichuga I'm glad that you're finding good answers on the forum!

I think it was mentioned in this thread somewhere, but definitely get yourself a copy of "St John Off the Beaten Track" and/or "Feet Fins and Four Wheel Drive." Once you're in that Jeep, you'll be all set to go exploring.

We can't wait to read your trip report and see your pictures!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

You're going to love it!!!
Driving is quite a thrill down there. When are you going?
Happy for you.
Smiles-
MJ
jan

Post by jan »

Glad you got all the answers you were looking for. Your husband will love the race. My husband is also a triathlete and has done ironman twice. He runs the 8 tuff and I walk it. Two totally different experiences but both just as fun. We will be there again this year so maybe we will cross paths. St John is truly a magical place. You will love it.