Best Place to Buy Beer/Liquor and Groceries near CA ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
turtlegirl

Best Place to Buy Beer/Liquor and Groceries near CA ferry

Post by turtlegirl »

Hi, Can you please tell me a good place to pick up a few groceries-cream for coffee, limes for drinks etc.) as well as beer/vodka within walking distance of the CA ferry? Is STT airport the best (Cheapest) place to buy booze or is there somewhere downtown? How about groceries? Thanks!
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Hm I don't know of anything off the top of my head that is close to the CA ferry. But there's a Pueblo between CA and the cruise ship dock. Probably a 5 min taxi ride.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

You could stop at Gourmet Gallery in Crown Bay or Pueblo in Sub base on the way to the ferry - not really any options close by the CA ferry docking on the waterfront - you would likely need a private taxi to stop and continue on so I am guessing anyway it could be some expensive groceries doing it that way as opposed to Red Hook.
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Thank you for your replies. I'll look for Pueblo. I thought there would be more options in town. Are the airport price for alcohol good?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

If you are downtown you can always go to AH RIISE and get alcohol there - fairly close to the ferry area -
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Thanks, We'll check AH RIISE out
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

You can always paya taxi dirver extra to make a stop at Pueblo.

AH Riise is nice but I don't think they are cheapest.

Hoenstly your best bet on pricing on STJ is Pine Peace market. Don't hassle with groceries on STT or the ferry ride over unless you have a good reason.

If you were renting a car on STT and taking the car ferry over that would be a different story.

But if you are doing passenger ferry just get yourself over to STJ and hit Pine Peace. Anything you can't find at Pine Peace you can get at Dolphin or Starfish. Or if you're in Coral Bay Lilly's Market is well stocked.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Thanks, Gromit. This time we're staying at Caneel & taking their ferry and won't have a car until a couple days into our trip so I wanted to buy some beverages & half and half for in room coffee before we get there.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Gotcha. You could always grab a taxi from Caneel to Pine Peace. Otherwise your options in downtown CA are limited.
turtlegirl

Post by turtlegirl »

Thank you! No biggie...we'll just ask for some half and half at the grill and hopefully they'll have rum and coke and champagne waiting in our room which should get us through a day or 2!!! How are the liquor store prices at the airport-are they way expensive?
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

They are about average. Prices vary all over the place on STT and STJ depending on the liquor itself.

Even a bottle of Cruzan coconut flavored rum can range from around $6 to $12 depending.

What you're looking for is convenience though. So as long as the prices don't look like they do back at home, you're good.

AH Riis is worth visit though if you've got time before the Caneel Ferry. They have a great selection in a nice environment. They also sell high end perfume, cosmetics and jewelry there.