Tattoos-- Who's got 'Em & Who Wants 'Em?

Travel discussion for St. John
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Thats so funny you brought this up. I have really been thinking about getting one. Something small with an island theme, like maybe the STJ petroglyph. But I think I want to wait for something special like maybe our one year anniversary of moving to STT. Any suggestions.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

stjohnmay2003 - I saw a tattoo like that at Jimmy Buffett concert. I've wanted one ever since. Have also considered a small rat peeping over my shoulder. But so far - none. I like them, though.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

I have the rams horn shaped petroglyph under a shoulder blade, dark blue outline and aqua fill in. I am so proud of it. Many reasons, 1) I'm 54 and went with 20 year old son to have his own (large) petroglyph on upper arm 2) We've talked about it for 2 years and he never thought mom would get one 3)great bonding experience with "baby boy" whose 6'3" and full of himself! 4} I was terrified but did it anyway! 5) I love my one rebellious tatt, it makes me smile when I get out of the shower every day, I can cover it up or leave it uncovered depending on tank top, bathing suit, etc. Finally, 6) It's my one and only, mine and my son's tribute to STJ, he's vacationed for 3 years and worked at Maho for a summer - we get it and no one else exactly knows what the the tatt is until we explain it!

Jan :D
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Cool Story Greyhound Mom!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
kirk

Post by kirk »

I have one. and yes alcohol was involved.
Kirk
millerjsm

Petroglph St. John Tattoo

Post by millerjsm »

Hey Everyone,

My girlfriends and myself take an annual trip to the USVI every year and we're headed back there in Feb of 2010 and were thinking of getting the St. John petroglyph tattoo this time when we go. I see some of you on the board talked about getting this tattoo and I was just wondering if there are any tips anyone would be willing to give me? Any good tattoo places on the Islands themselves? Anyone have any pictures of how your tattoos turned out? I appreciate the help!

Jill
betsyabel

Re: Petroglph St. John Tattoo

Post by betsyabel »

Pat at Octopus Ink (just under the Fish Trap) is great. She did my first tat when I was on St John in February 08 and my 4th just this week. She's very good at helping you with color and location & won't do anything she knows won't look good.
This isn't a great pic, but the color is amazing.
This is my "fresh" one about 2 hours after it was done

millerjsm wrote:Hey Everyone,

My girlfriends and myself take an annual trip to the USVI every year and we're headed back there in Feb of 2010 and were thinking of getting the St. John petroglyph tattoo this time when we go. I see some of you on the board talked about getting this tattoo and I was just wondering if there are any tips anyone would be willing to give me? Any good tattoo places on the Islands themselves? Anyone have any pictures of how your tattoos turned out? I appreciate the help!

Jill
tinajohnson

Post by tinajohnson »

I finally got one in September. I love sea turtles and while visiting St. John in June swimming with them was amazing. I wanted to get one to remind me of the most beautiful places I have ever been. So far no regrets!
It is on the inside of my right leg above my ankle.

flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My hubby finally got his long desired tat right before Christmas, but it doesn't have anything to do with STJ. It is my name and both kids in a hand-drawn script about 4 inches high by the artist around his left upper arm. I was nervous (after 20 years of naked arm I thought a tat might just look weird) but we both love it.

I am still trying to think of something I would want on my body forEVER, I am sure eventually I'll get one but I am taking my time.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Never planned on a tat, but thought about a hummingbird above my ankle.
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Don't have one. Can't get one. I'm always afraid that one day I could return to the dark side. It's always the first identifier on America's Most Wanted.
bubblybrenda

Post by bubblybrenda »

DaveS007, *LMAO* for sure. You make a valid point.

No tats for me. Too afraid of needles but if I wasn't afraid I would get a small maple leaf just like the one that Terri Clark wears on her right arm.
~Brenda~
swoop

Post by swoop »

I have one...an Eagle, Globe, and Anchor because when you're 18 and in the Marines, that's what you do...That was 20 years ago and now I want another one..just don't know what.
chicagoans

Re: Petroglph St. John Tattoo

Post by chicagoans »

millerjsm wrote:Hey Everyone,

Jill
I can't give you any first hand experience, but I have read that after getting a tattoo you need to keep it very clean and out of the sun. You might want to check with your doctor or a local tattoo artist about the healing process and how soon you can go into the water or out in the sun.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Wow-- this post of mine is a BLAST from the PAST!!

I was going to say the same thing as Chicagoans-- it's my understanding that you need to keep it dry and out of the sun for a couple of weeks. So I guess if you wanted to get it your last day on island that might work.
*Another fine scatterbrained production