Cigarettes, booze, duty free?

Travel discussion for St. John
thebin

Cigarettes, booze, duty free?

Post by thebin »

Are cigarettes expensive down there or much cheaper?

Also, can you hit the duty free on arrival into the airport or only on on the leg back home?
melmd

Post by melmd »

When we ere there in 2007 the smokes were really cheap. I think my sister-in-law was paying like $2.50 per pack, not sure what they are now, but i bet they are cheaper than the states
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Cigarettes are about $18-21 a carton in most stores - Kmart,Costuless and Havensite Tobacco. You can take 5 cartons back to the US with no duty.
All Alcohol by the bottle is sold duty free everywhere - some stores cheaper on some brands than other stores but still duty free and less expensive than stateside prices - you can take 6 bottles home duty free if one bottle is a VI product. The Duty free store inside the departure lounge in the STT airport makes it easy to carry on too.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Exit Zero wrote: The Duty free store inside the departure lounge in the STT airport makes it easy to carry on too.
Why am I so stupid to have never thought of that? I haven't brought back a good haul of rum in years because I didn't want the bottles in the suitcases or cooler.

Sometimes, my abject stupidity amazes me. I mean, I'm a smart fellow...I can drive and hold down a job and I almost know how to use my Blackberry. But I can't put 2 and 2 together and get rum?

I need a vacation
madness

Post by madness »

Oh Rob - You are not a dummy, other issues may have distracted you.

We were not charged for our checked luggage on our return. DH had grabbed a box pre check-in, so he checked a box for free. Had I known prior to checking in........ Oh well. I already had enough to carry on, but DH grabbed another 3 bottles after the checkpoint that he carried on. He says I cannot drink any of the VI booze.
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Just as a FYI, when we were there in October, the Duty free store inside the departure lounge in the STT airport only had liquor and perfume - no cigarettes (unless that's changed since then of course).
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

They were letting people check their 6 bottles/person for free( our porter gave us the heads up on that one). Booze sales had dropped off too much. And they were in perfect condition when we landed in Detroit with a connection in EWR.

This was last April.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

SJfromNJ wrote:I think the limit is 6 liters per legal drinking age person.
So, next summer, I can't use the 8 year old as a booze mule? What the hell good is she anyway?
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

As we put it...."everything that will kill you is cheap"
Life begins where the land ends!