SOMEONE tell me I'm not CRAZY?!?

Travel discussion for St. John
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

So sorry for the bad experience. Hopefully you might get another chance to go back soon and put the bad things behind you. You need it..

Am still praying for your brother & all of you, really feel for you all that he's not doing so well. Try to hang in there.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Jim, wow, I am so sorry that you did not have a nice time! I was cringing while reading your post. I think that some people are just not a good fit, personality-wise, to rent a self-catering home for their vacations...they really need to stay at a hotel, where they can have maid service. Though you say you've been down there with them before, so that's kind of odd.

My advice is to start to think about planning a trip down for just you and Amy. Erase the bad memories of your tension filled trip, and make new, happier ones with just the two of you.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

You are dead on right. Those people acted like jerks.

Other than my husband and two daughters, I can't think of anyone I would want to share a vacation with.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Are they still married? I think so, but we don’t see them any longer – this trip was the straw. We did try to talk to them about putting aside whatever was going on that was making for so much unhappiness in such a beautiful place. He insisted it would blow over, she just continued to sulk. Her sulking made him surly – on and on. They brought the problem from home - there were ongoing issues between her and his family, especially his sister (perceived slights, jealousies), and I think there had been a blow-up right before the trip. I had worked with and been friendly with his sister long before we became close with them as a couple so I think we may have been tarred with the same brush or however the saying goes. We had been doing our best not to get sucked in to their drama – we declined to take sides – that seemed to be our sin – lol – she had always been upset that we would not support her unconditionally and I suspect it was the same situation with her husband. All very juvenile – bah, life’s too short to expend so much energy on negative crap.

Didn’t mean to hijack your rant here, Jim. If you want to salvage the relationship, I sure hope you can do so. People can be so weird – just when you think you know them, they up and surprise you and, unfortunately, it’s not always a good surprise. I don’t blame you for steaming at their sense of entitlement and their bad behavior – it was everyone’s vacation and it sounds like you bent over backwards to try to make things good for all concerned – and that’s a lot of stress.
toni

Post by toni »

Ugh, what a vacation spoiler! When all you wanted was some stress free time and look what you got. Well, it does help to vent-lets the steam out of the old stress-o-meter. Too bad though for you guys-I'd definitely reconsider the best friend thing though-think they'd have been a little more receptive to your concerns especially considering some of the stuff that's been going on in your life. But if you travelled with them before, what happened to change things?
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Awwww, Jimmy! I'm so sorry to hear that anything happened to put a cloud over the vacation you guys needed so badly. Every time I looked at the Spicecam, I thought of you guys and hoped you were having the time of your life.
Next trip! And you'll be getting married on that trip, too, right?
swoop

Post by swoop »

Feel for you...went with my "best friends" last April..and needless to say, it was a nightmare. Knew they were having problems, but they had a major blowout one night in the middle of the week and he just sulked the rest of the trip and was basically an A-Hole to everyone. Me and my wife didn't let it ruin our vacation, but I'm more inclined to go without other couples from now on.

Haven't spoken to him since we came back, BTW.

Looking forward to our first solo trip this April!
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

That's a bummer. That would be the last trip I ever took with them. We have had bad trips with other couples in the past and have found that there a very few people whom we want to vacation with. I'd cross them off my list and be done with it.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Jimmy,

Sorry things were not as good as they could have been,
but how did you like Sago Palms ?
Hopefully there were some fun times on your trip.
Are we going to get a trip report?
Beach Creecher
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

your "friends" clearly don't get it.....sad, so sad.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Wanda-
You were right on the $ as far as S.P. !
It was breathtaking, and those delicious views were some of the best I've seen out of all of the villas I've been to over the years.
TR soon come...-
as well as another ticker for 4/24-5/? , and hopefully more
Smiles!
MJ
loria

Post by loria »

Wow, I am speechless--Can you calmly talk to your friend and ask why he was acting in such a way (or maybe it isn't worth it?) --
I am sorry that that stuff put a damper on your very much needed vacation.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
SS in NC

Post by SS in NC »

Hi mahojim, Glad to hear you're planning another trip! On your next trip, leave "the baggage" at home...and enjoy this one the way you want to. Some people just can't be miserable alone...too bad. All the Best! Scott
MrB

Post by MrB »

mahojim wrote: as well as another ticker for 4/24-5/? , and hopefully more
Smiles!
MJ
for both you and Amy again? It was a shame we could not find you Sunday for the beach bar. We looked for you the rest of the week, but alas, we had no luck. maybe next trip.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Jimmy,

So glad you loved Sago Palms. Can't wait to hear
the trip report.

I am jealous that you are already planning a trip
in April and we haven't even heard about this one.
June is a long way away for me.
Beach Creecher