If You Were A Newbie??

Travel discussion for St. John
greyhoundmom

If You Were A Newbie??

Post by greyhoundmom »

Like many of you, we've been lots of times and probably take certain things for granted. We are taking a new couple in July. If you could look back, what would you have wanted to see your first trip? I want this to be the best experience for them. My friend Pat had major leg surgery recently and she is so excited about going. I think she'll be able to get around pretty good by July. Anything we do will be fun for them but wondered what you wished you had done the first trip? I'm thinking definitely Maho, Francis, Trunk for the intro to snorkeling. Joe's BBQ, STJ Spice, Beach Bar, Plaintains, Shipwreck, Island Blues. Don't think she's up for Reef Bay Trail Leinster or walk up from Salt Pond. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Having had a total hip replacement and relating a bit...not climbing. She'll do fine in water, which is what snorkeling is all about. Keep her comfortable with drive up snorkeling. Even little lamshir is drive up great snorkeling. Have fun!
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

could she do Annaberg ruins? you can drive up and drop her off so she doesn't have to do the stairs from the parking lot. I just love it up there.
tinajohnson

Post by tinajohnson »

One thing to consider for those harder to get to beaches is renting a dinghy. I only recommend visiting beaches you can pull up on as those things are very hard to get back into from the water! My husband and I enjoyed being in the dinghy. You can cruise around and pick a beach that is not crowded and you can leave easily to find a new beach if a cruise ship drops off a load of crazy snorkelers!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Vie's would be on my list. It's about a 75 yard walk, but it's an easy, flat walk. Consider the Donkey Diner also. You can get both in one morning if you schedule it right.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

papabou

Post by papabou »

most newbies will enjoy and want to see exactly what the regulars do and see. have brought newbies 7 times and routine just about same each time: 1st day island tour checking all the views and beaches (except ones with long walk) and let newbie pick the beach for the afternoon. when we do lameshure (never done salt pond) always stop for lunch on return at ship wreck. when we do vie's/east end always do drive up the new devel with all the stone walls and great views towardf tortolla and back over cruz bay. we pull up at annaberg and ask if they are interested, some are some aren't. show the walk to waterlemon but only guys have wanted to do walk, but then my crowd all 65+/-.

i have found that once a newbie has had a general look at the entire island, they will want to do my favs. short trip last week with a friend with major mobility issues. walks with cane but i brought him a 1 in. pvc pipe walking stick in 3 2ft seconds that fit in suitcase. it and cane allowed him to walk to waters edge at maho where i took regular cane and he used the pvc rod to get in water and then swamm. he could have done same hawks nest but surf was up. we were also able to get permission to drive down to beach at cinammon but so much surf no beach but enjoyed view. while trunk was too far for him to walk, i have never had a newbie who wasn't awestruck by her.

if you do some of those and others previously mentioned you'll need 2 weeks to get it in.

papabou
byado18

Post by byado18 »

A lovely sunset dinner and drinks at Zozo's or Asolare.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I agree with papa. It would be great to take her all over the island from Cruz to Coral and show her all the sights. Maybe time lunch over on the Coral side. If you start on the North shore you can stop at trunk before it gets busy. A driving tour is fun!!

You are very thoughtful and you friend will appreciate it. I bet it will be fun to see her reaction.

GG
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Not sure if you've read my other posts, but My Sweet Amy had an unfortunate motorcycle accident in the mid '90's.
It left her without a right hip, thereafter rendering her right leg 4 inches shorter than her left; thus, she walks gracefully with a cane.
Amy is a champion in life,as well as my heart, and is always up for challenges.-
She makes swimming/snorkelling look so effortless at the same time.
My vote is for Maho, and Francis.Also a big fan of Hawksnest.
Best of luck, and always
Smiles-
MJ
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

mahojim wrote:Not sure if you've read my other posts, but My Sweet Amy had an unfortunate motorcycle accident in the mid '90's.
It left her without a right hip, thereafter rendering her right leg 4 inches shorter than her left; thus, she walks gracefully with a cane.
Amy is a champion in life,as well as my heart, and is always up for challenges.-
She makes swimming/snorkelling look so effortless at the same time.
My vote is for Maho, and Francis.Also a big fan of Hawksnest.
Best of luck, and always
Smiles-
MJ
God Bless and many Kudos to your "sweet Amy". she sounds like an amazing woman and may never meet her but admire her spirit and gumption.

People like her give hope to so many others.
No ticker anymore. Next vac will prob. be the Fl Keys.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I would book a daysail, or at least a sunset sail. It's so relaxing, and interesting to see the various beaches from the water.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
madness

Post by madness »

We love the Cinnamon Bay ruins. A very easy walk too. I found an octopus while snorkeling at Maho, so that could be fun. Come to think of it I also found an octopus at Hawksnest! Actually, it found me, I was sitting there letting the waves break on me, reached over to grab a sea grape leaf, but it was an octopus! That was a few years ago though.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

An afternoon at the Tourist Trap is always a treat. Stop for lunch and spend the afternoon and have a great time...
Last edited by TrvlJohn on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
SS in NC

Post by SS in NC »

A lunch at Skinny Legs with the cocktail special de jour (I hear they're served daily) was memorable for me my first time on STJ. Can't wait for July - we're heading back officially...cheerz for good times with the newbies! Scott
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

As an alternative to what everyone else here has recommended ... and certainly not dismissing what everyone has suggested ... I'd keep it simple.

I still recall my 1st time in STJ in `94, when my BIL drove us to Hawksnest. Once we were on the beach, I gazed out at that blue water & thought "Oh Wow!" I didn't want to leave. But, eventually, we headed back to Gallows for our own Happy Hour, and I took in that stunning view towards STT.

Later, we strolled down to Cruz Bay, did Cap's for conch fritters (don't think thats possible now), and Patrick's for $2 beers. Then, later, Lime Inn for some great lobster.

As someone eloquently mentioned in a previous thread, there is a quiet beauty simply sitting at the park, and watching the town come alive as the first ferries arrive.

So rather than expose your newbs to everything, perhaps provide them with just a taste of what STJ has to offer. Let them become entranced ... like so many of us have been.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."