Greece

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Terry

Greece

Post by Terry »

We're planning our next vacation and my husband and I have chosen Greece. Any advice or recommendations you all have would be greatly appreciated.

What islands did anyone tour? Top 3 sites or islands to see? Athens...what to see is on your top hit list?
We're looking at Athens, Santorini, Crete, Corfu, Rhodes, Sifnos. We will do all the planning ourselves, no tours or cruises.

Although we love St. John, we realize now that there is so much of the world to see and are planning on seeing as much of it as we can.

A trip from our homefront to STJ costs us almost the same as a trip to Europe. Although we love it...we want to see more of the world now before we retire and have limited funds.

However, our travels to STJ have turned on a few of our good friends and I know that they will be going down there soon and have a marvelous time! They are the type that will "get it".
loria

Post by loria »

Kali Spera!

first you have to check out Matt Barretts guide

http://www.greektravel.com/

this is probably the most informative insider guide to Greece around (or on the web--or written by an american on the web)--

Crete is LOVELY and has LOTS to keep you occupied--it also has the Minoan ruins--which are striking -- the area around Chania is lovely as well

Santorini is your postcard Greece --if you are going in summer it is going to be CROWDED--if you go in late May you can still find bargains--stay in Oia, rent motor scooters and tour a winery and go to the volcanic beaches-
Athens is a great place --there is alot of history there
I am not a fan of Mykonos (too much of the nightlife crud) but a day trip to Delos is really wonderful --if you stay on Paros this is an easy trip --
the Ferry system is terrificand the boats are usually very fast and you can ferry between all those destinations if that is your desire (there are also flights between islands and islands and mainland)--
we arrived in Santorini during a full moon (from Crete) it was amazing!!

have a great time planning your trip!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

We spent 15 days in Greece in 2003. We were in Athens for 2 days and the remaining days on the Island of Lesvos. We wanted the old-world village experience and chose Lesvos. Andreana Andreyev, Greek Village Tours, was our contact and did all the leg work: plane tickets, taxi's, itineraries. Her family lives in the town of Petra on Lesvos. The island is beautiful, cobblestone streets, wonderful churches, tavernas. Lesvos has a centuries old castle - Molyvos. We toured the Ouzo factory in the capital city of Mytilini. The Eftalou hot springs that flow into the Aegean shouldn't be missed. We stayed at the Hotel Delfinia overlooking Molyvos Castle. The fresh food, yogurt, breads and wines are incredible. We loved the Makidonikos table wine with every meal. It was an amazing trip. Kalo Taxithi! :)
Sadie Sea

Post by Sadie Sea »

Greece is wonderful. My husband and I spent a few weeks there last year on our sailboat and have lots of videos, photos and info you can check out on our blog, www.sandpiper38.blogspot.com. There is a lot to check out while there just be sure to have a few days to just sit back and relax. Long lunches at a family run restaurants is a great way to soak it in.
Enjoy!
sherban

Post by sherban »

I spent a week in Greece about 20 years ago, I was a great experience but a long time ago.

The short story- we spent half the time in Athens, which as fun and half the time in the islands to the southwest of Athens..traveled from Island to Island on the local ferries...very cool. Our favoite island was Aigina. This was said to be "where the locals vacationed"...it was an awesome experience very slow paced and seemed "authentic"...very beautiful island.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/133284.jpg

Enjoy!
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Hi Terry,

In June of 1983 my sister and I toured Greece with American European Student's Union (AESU) and it changed our lives. It's one of the very best vacations I've ever taken. Beth (my sister) ended up meeting a guy and they got married about 3 years later. They celebrated their 20th anniversary a few years ago. Adonis spoke very little english when he arrived, but has been fluent for quite some time. He goes back to Greece every two years and his mom and sister have visited. If there are any specific questions you'd like me to ask him, I'd be happy to do so.

Greece is gorgeous. I've never seen water like the Aegean. It's cobalt blue. You'll love it.

Jamestown
Terry

Post by Terry »

This off topic site is better than any blog or trip advisor site. You all have such great information. Thank you. I'll be in touch with some of you for sure.
scrumblin

Post by scrumblin »

Hello,

We have been to St. John alot. We have been to Greece alot...
Love them both for entirely different reasons.
You don't mention what time of year you plan to travel. Unlike St. John there is decidely a winter time. Amen to Matt Barrett's web-site. Superb!
Sifnos is our favorite for down right limin'. Small island, but charming. Supremely authentic Greek atmosphere...awesome food, walking/hiking/beaches great. Inexpensive once you are there.
Crete, Rhodes and Corfu are much larger, many small beach communities, but "package tourist" areas too.
We love Athens...a great start to the historical, educational Greece, followed by the lovely Greek island vacation. Good luck!
scrumblin

Post by scrumblin »

Forgot to mention...this past spring/summer was the cheapest airfare I've seen to greece in years. Spring /Summer 2010 will be brutal, I fear.
lexi

Post by lexi »

You will have a great time in Greece! I recommend everyone to go there at least once in their life. I haven't been there since '99 and planning on going back again next year. We were there over 2 weeks and did the tourist thing.... went to all the historic sites in and around Athens and did a cruise to the islands too. My favorite island would have to be Rhodes, followed by Santorini. Thanks for starting this thread because I will have to check out Matt's website.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Has anyone been to Skiathos in the Greek Islands?

Anyone want to share their travel experience between islands? Boat? Plane? Private boat?

Places to stay in Athens would be appreciated also.

Other than www.greektravel.com any other websites that were helpful?

Thanks!