NC Outer Banks

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sherban

NC Outer Banks

Post by sherban »

Hello Forumites- We have been thinking about exploring the Outer Banks of NC and were wondering if anyone has experience with vacationing there?

Looking for info on areas nice to vacation in, any specific places to stay, etc.

Any inputs appreciated we really don't know anything about the area yet, thanks.
Sherb
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Never done the traditional Outer Banks because they're too far from us. If I want to drive 5 hours, I'll go to FLA. We've been to Emerald Isle 4 times now. EI sits just south of the traditional OBX. Only 2 1/2 hours form our house but more like 5 million miles.

We rent from http://www.bluewatergmac.com

Can't say enough about the NC coast. Absolu-frickin-lutely beautiful.
Jamestown

Post by Jamestown »

Hi Sherban,
My family has been vacationing in the Outer Banks since the mid 60's. When we first started going, we had to take all of our food along because there wasn't any place to to buy groceries. Those days are long gone and the place has really gotten built up. I would head to south Nags Head, maybe down around mile posts 17-20. It's not so crazy there. Rent an ocean front house and relax.

Don't miss Sam and Omie's restaurant, any of the piers for fishing, Oregon Inlet and "The Lost Colony" on Manteo. Bring your surf rod to do a little surf fishing.

It's certainly a different place than it was 30 years ago, but I guess nothing stays the same. I still feel like a kid when I'm there. Smile.

Jamestown
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thanks for the info.

The area is so huge, there are probably a hundred different "micro-cosms" to explore...

So, is Hatteras/Rodanthe considered part of the outer banks...is it nice there?

checking this out now...
http://www.outerbanks.org/location_maps ... x_1152.asp
nowah1965

Outer Banks

Post by nowah1965 »

I second the Emerald Isle suggestion. We've done both the traditional Outer Banks area and Emerald Isle and EI is just more our speed. Not as crowded, quiet, and LOTS of beautiful beaches. From there we also took a short drive to Beaufort and took a boat to Shackleford Banks and saw the wild horses that roam the island. The water was clear enough to do a little snorkeling too. You really can't go wrong with either place IMHO.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have stayed in Corolla, at the end of the road. It was great, rather isolated with a nice beach.

It was a few years ago and I remember it being a more of a stay at the house and cook in vacation. There wasn't much to do in the general area aside from the beach. The drive down to the more developed area was long and slow. I remember a 45 minute drive to go on a fishing charter.

We would go again if not for the drive, its 12+ hours for us.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thanks for the inputs, we need to try the outer banks sometime soon, it looks cool...

Peace
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

When we were kids, we used to spend every summer on Topsail Island. It was pretty cool.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

I’ve been vacationing in OBX for the past 15 years and love it. I usually like to go the first or second week of September because it’s less crowded and the beach house rental rates are 50% - 70% cheaper. Peak season is generally from mid June to mid August. To give you an idea of what you can save by going in September, I have an Oceanside house booked for September 2010. It’s a 7 bed / 7bath with a pool & hot tub peak season price $4,480.00/week, the September rate I got it for was $1,150. When looking at beach houses you will generally see three location descriptions Oceanfront (self explanatory), Semi-Oceanfront (one lot back from the ocean), and Oceanside (two lots or more back from the ocean).
I’ve stayed in different areas, but I prefer staying north of Kitty Hawk. I love the village of Duck http://www.townofduck.com/ and its small shops. There are also spectacular sunsets overlooking the Currituck Sound.
lust4life

Post by lust4life »

I love the area of Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills. A must see is Jockey's Ridge. Amazing!
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

We went several years ago with 3 other families and loved it. One of the families is from the east coast and goes to OBX annually, so we followed their suggestions and rented a house in Corolla from a rental firm called Twiddy. Twiddy had a good reputation and lots of houses in their rental pool. The area was really nice and we all had a great time. Most of our time was spent at the beach but the house we rented also gave us access to tennis courts and a pool so we used those too.

One thing I remember that we thought was cool was the drive through liquor store, the Brew Thru. We don't have anything like that here and thought it was funny.