Tips for a new snorkeler?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mindehankins

Tips for a new snorkeler?

Post by mindehankins »

Hi everybody. I just learned to snorkel on St. John in May. I have two questions:
1. I blew out an eardrum a few years ago, and my ENT said I can't put my head more than a foot underwater. Dive shops say that's BS, that the doc is just covering his butt by saying that. Do you have an opinion?
2. I can't get myself underwater, and I want to take beautiful pictures like you guys! Do you have any tips that I could practice in a local pool or something? I'd be happy to try a weight belt, but I'm not a strong swimmer...would I be able to get back up again?
Thanks if you have any hints!
MrB

Post by MrB »

I have no opinion on the eardrum thing....i think I want to cover my ass too!!

It may only offer you a few seconds underwater, but do not take any air in your lungs down with you, it makes you buoyant. Rather, hyper ventilate before you go down to get some good oxy in your blood, then let it ALL out and dive down for your pic. This only offers a few seconds of comfort, so have your subject spotted and ready to have it's picture taken.

I have used a weight belt snorkeling, and it works amazingly, BUT I am a strong swimmer, so I would do some pool practice if possible.

LysaC

Post by LysaC »

fins, fins, fins. you need fins to get down comfortably. and like the other poster said, don't have a lot of air in your lungs. you only stay down for a little bit but it's worth it for that great shot or close-up look!

take a deep breath, release most it then dive down head first using your arms to propel you at first. kick your legs, your fins will flap in the air for a second but once they hit water it's real easy to go down further.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Ear drums do heal. I had a problem last year and was able to dive a lot this year. Your ENT's approach seems to be very cautious. Perhaps he/she was talking about that time frame around the time of the injury. It may not have been a long-term plan. If asked again, or if you saw another Dr they might say you are clear to swim. :)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I would definitely defer to your doctor on the eardrum thing! No advice from me there.

You've already gotten some good tips. Here are a few more.

1. Take your time! I think many folks don't see much because they just motor around, covering a huge area in a short period of time. You want to drift along, staying in one small area for a longer period. Fish will get used to your presence and start to come out from the crevasses they hid in when you arrived. You are also more likely to notice things that blend in--like, say, an octopus or an eel, if you take the time to thoroughly examine the area you are in.

2. Be careful with your swimming techinque. Definitely use fins. BUT, you don't want to be raising your fins out of the water and splashing as you swim. This will scare pretty much everything away. Keep your fins completely underwater and move very slowly. No splashing, no bringing your arms out of the water.

3. When you find something interesting, take a ton of pictures of it. I probably discard 20 underwater photos for each one I keep. Just keep shooting in the general direction of what you are interested in. It's hard to see the viewfinder underwater--you are guessing, really. Take pictures both with and without zooming a little (not too much or the photo will be grainy).
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
MrB

Post by MrB »

liamsaunt wrote:3. When you find something interesting, take a ton of pictures of it.
That's a good one. The previously posted little beastie has about 10 other photos, but none worth posting.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

liamsaunt makes a great point about your fins. keep them underwater at all times. instead of kicking your legs, do knee lifts. Lift your knees toward your abdomen.

the only time my fins comes out out of the water is when i dive down and i try to wait until my arms get me far enough down in the water, like when the water touches my ankles, to start moving my fins.
augie

Post by augie »

Once you've learned to really relax in the water you'll be surprised at how shallow the water can be and still be able to snorkel.

There are some great places on STJ where if you'll just hover above grass beds, mangroves, etc. you can see some amazing life.

You never have to go underwater, never take your face out of the water, and as a bonus, the light near ther surface of the water hasn't had some of the color spectrum filtered out, so your pictures will be more colorful!

Of course there are a lot of cool things in deeper water also, but don't feel that you can't snorkel, or can't get good pictures while snorkeling, just because you can't "go deep".
Come see us!
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Becky, I know you are right about going too fast. I am so guilty of that. I've been telling myself since seeing all your great snorkel pics, to SLOW DOWN. When I'm in the water, and don't see anything right away, I think I need to move on to a better place, instead of hovering and letting "them" come to me. That is great advice. Thanks!!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thank you all! I didn't try going under at all, on St. John, only in the Y pool that I learned snorkel breathing in, before we went, and only in the shallow end.
I'm going to go off the deep end...
and try again.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

I'm with "The B's" on pool practice, and with everyone else as far as relaxing while you're in the water.
Good luck, and always
Smiles-
MJ