Villa ideas

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Villa ideas

Post by Lulu76 »

Oh goodness, plans are a' changin', and I don't have my whole life to research villas like I usually do.

We've gone from two crazy ladies running through the hills to possibly two more crazy runners and one cheerleader. So our group is going from two to maybe four or five.

Anyone got any villa ideas for four or five people that won't cause us to sell a kidney to pay for it in the high season?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Do you all need seperate bedrooms?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Well, we had previously entertained the idea of a tent at Maho, so I'm thinking no one will grip if we go "spring break style." It's season. We'll probably just have to sleep in the Jeep!
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Lulu, I just got back from 3 weeks at Summerwind. It's a great house up on Bordeaux Mtn. It's 4 bedrooms but the 4th one is really small with no closet and a double bed. It also has the laundry and utility room behind it (you walk through the bedroom to the laundry) so it's not a very desirable room. I really think of this house as a 3 bedroom. The listing at Caribbean Villas is not correct. The three bedrooms all have king beds. The master is HUGE and other 2 bedrooms are nice sized but not large with nice bathrooms. PM me if you are seriously considering this house. It's all paved road with no scary inclines. Easy parking for 2 or 3 Jeeps.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We've stayed at Sundance as our "cheaper" villa managed by Cloud Nine and I think it or Cloud Nine Villa would likely fit the bill. They are fairly affordable villas. Three bedrooms. Sundance had two King beds and one bedroom with twin beds, as well as a daybed in the Master bedroom. Full A/C which was so nice, pool, hot tub and good deck. It's very basic, not fancy at all, but clean with an easy drive into Cruz Bay. Would rent it again in a heartbeat!

I can't wait to hear your trip report!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

They do have good prices during the off season, so I'll have to check it out. I cannot believe I'm back to the villa search, but this is shaping up to be a fun trip.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Man, I hope you can keep your kidney...You might need it on STJ. :wink:
papabou

Post by papabou »

lulu,

second nic on sundance, comfortable clean villa at great location (except for pond bay construction going on now) and super last minute rates. another cloud nine villa that we like better than sundance and normally same rates is cloud 9 on gifft hill. 2 king bedrooms, a trundle in the greatroom with ac and a loft that gets the ac too with at least 3 beds. views and breezes are some of island's best but drive to and from cruz bay at night is a little spookey.

good luck and enjoy the search.

papabou
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Bev, that's why I'm not selling my liver. :lol:

I am still looking, but high season rates make me want to have a stroke. We'll find something. Or we'll be really cozy in our little cottage.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

Ask for low season rates. I got low rates in February when I went down. All they can say is no but right now villa owners want their houses full even if they have to take a lower rate.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

yes, doesn't hurt to ask...you may get slammed a few times...(I know I did, and one time it was almost down right insulting :oops: ) All I'd asked was to start low season rates one week early! I got a terse reply that the ecomony was better, booking were higher and they were certain they could rent the property at high season rates...Bye, Bye, come back if you choose to pay high season rates...

Ummm anyway, found a property new to the Villa market and got intro rates for next year. And they were happy to do it!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Have you looked at the properties through Private Homes for Private Vacations? They have some nice homes, and their on season rates are not TOO bad. I'm not sure what budget you are trying to come in at.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Bart Wailes

Villa Ideas

Post by Bart Wailes »

It's gotten to be quite a job trying to find the right villa to rent on St. John. So many villas. Big dollars vs. smaller dollars. What is worth it vs. what is not. How much is a pool really worth? How much is a good view really worth? How much is quiet worth? Are the online pictures really representative of the house or is there another house within spitting distance that you can't see? It's quite interesting to see houses overpriced in my opinion yet they rent really well while there are houses priced much less that are under rented. Marketing and the science of why people will spend certain dollars for one house vs. another are quite interesting. When customers try to negotiate the price of our house downward its all over the board. Some are so aggressive yet clueless to what an owner has to put up with that you don't even want to respond to the inquiry. Some are always going to go with the cheapest price they can find. Some don't seem to mind overpaying. Some houses are overpriced to begin with yet getting a good discount seems great. Go figure.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have looked at PHPV's rates for season. And, I have stayed with them in the past out of season. And for $1900, I found the villa we stayed in to be completely adequate. But $3,500 is ridiculous to ask for the same house. I don't care what time of year it is.

I might be shooting for the stars, but I'm trying to find something under three grand. The reason I say that is because the one girl who's decided to go said she called the Westin and it would cost her $2,800 to stay there for a week, and she said "Surely we can find a house for all four of us for the same price as just me at the Westin." I'm beginning to wonder if we can...

ShelleyZ

Post by ShelleyZ »

Check out Satinwood at www.satinwood-usvi.com. It's a very comfortable house with tremendous views and breezes. It would also give your group plenty of space to expand. There are two master bedrooms and each has a loft above with twin beds. There is also a downstairs apartment with a small kitchen.

The pool is beautiful, and it's a great location, if you like the Coral Bay side of the island.

Good luck with your search! You'll find something.