New Google Maps Satellite Images for STJ?

Travel discussion for St. John
RickG

New Google Maps Satellite Images for STJ?

Post by RickG »

It looks like Google updated their satellite images for St. John. Those big clouds are gone and many of the newer villas are present. I'm not sure of the data, but Reef Madness looks completed, except for the driveway - Fall 2007?

The images are looking pretty nice. I think I can see Jorge stretched out on Denis Bay.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 7&t=h&z=19

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sherban

Post by sherban »

RG- Yeah, quality of new photo stock looks great, locational references are skewed from the last set of maps though....everything is off about 100 yards in both X and Y axes...I have emailed them about it...

The reference skew only matters if you are using placemarks...that were placed with the previous maps.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I think I see some one doing a dance by the pool at Alesandra could that be you Rick
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

Wow, what a difference. I can see where I made a wrong turn or two and where I ended up.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

You're right Rick. RM pool has water in it and the driveway is not paved. That dates it between early October and early November, 2007.
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

Doooood! If this gets crowded like salt pond I'm blaming you. Then all we'll hear is griping about the hike and the choppy current.
When will I see St John again?
RickG

Post by RickG »

mrsb wrote:Doooood! If this gets crowded like salt pond I'm blaming you. Then all we'll hear is griping about the hike and the choppy current.
I accept full responsibility for my actions, and those of my friends! There will always be whining, especially with regard to anything/anyone interesting. The recourse of reasonable people is to ignore the cretins.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Oh good! Those clouds were really bugging me! I'm gonna go check it out now - thanks!
Cruzan Chris

Post by Cruzan Chris »

Hey Rick,
It's nice to know that I am not the only one that stares at
Google Earth...I too have been waiting for that darn map
to clear up....Thanx for the heads up...Island Girl found your post before I did and could'nt wait to tell me...
Thanx Again !!

Cruzan Chris
"St.John,always in our hearts,minds,and souls"
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Amazing clarity! Thanks Rick.
---Jim
petepie

Post by petepie »

Sherban, can you load all the villa locations from the last map? Or do we need to remark them all?
sherban

Post by sherban »

All the placemarks are still available via the kmz files that you can load into your local GE, they are also all available via the Google Earth community "layer" of information under the "gallery" heading of layers in GE.

Here's the kicker....the new photos are skewed off reference a little from the last ones so all the placemarks are off a little. I have contacted GE about that and asked them to look into it...it affects all placemarks in the areas...not just the ones I created....

My knz file is shown in my signature if you want to load the pushpins...