first timers

Travel discussion for St. John
tinajohnson

first timers

Post by tinajohnson »

Any words of wisdom for a couple of first timers? We will be on St. John June 17-24.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

What kind of wisdom are you looking for?

My standard island rules are:
1. Slow down, island time is real and much more fun than any stateside pace

2. Be polite, not just everyday at home polite. Say Good Morning, Afternoon, and Good Night. Look at people and be interested in how they are doing before doing business or having them wait on you. They may have an interesting story to tell, don't be afraid to get to know them.

3. Cover up in town. You may think you look like a supermodel in your bathing suit, and you just might, but the island residents don't want to see you like that walking down the street.

4. Don't have an agenda or schedule. Make a list of all the things you want to do and pick one every day. What you don't get to, you can do on your next trip.

5. Leave anything remotely dressy at home. You will not need it.
tinajohnson

Post by tinajohnson »

Those are good things to know. Thanks.
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

You can search for my posts and trip report to read another "first timers" experience. As far as food, what do you want to know? Markets or restaurants?
Counting down the minutes.....
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

You can search for my posts and trip report to read another "first timers" experience. As far as food, what do you want to know? Markets or restaurants? Where are you staying and how long? Did you get a copy of "Feet, Fins and Four Wheel Drive"? I'd highly recommend it.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Enjoy your time together. St. John is a beautiful place, but a great trip comes from within.

Also read through some of the old posts here on the forum and ask any specific questions you have. There are many experienced travelers who are on this site and willing to share their knowledge.
tinajohnson

Post by tinajohnson »

Thanks for the replies. I am excited and cannot wait for Wednesday to get here. My husband and I are interested in diving and possibly renting a dinghy. Would it be better to call and make a reservation or wait until we get there?
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

tinajohnson wrote:Thanks for the replies. I am excited and cannot wait for Wednesday to get here. My husband and I are interested in diving and possibly renting a dinghy. Would it be better to call and make a reservation or wait until we get there?
We called ahead for the Dinghy at Noah's Little Arks. You would probably be ok waiting but why worry when a reservation is only a phone call away. Some people like to wait and check the weather but most dinghy services are flexable.
Drumbiker

Post by Drumbiker »

You may want to make a reservation. We walked up to Noah's Little Ark's right in front of the Beach Bar and got lucky. Although they had several dinghy's tied up only 1 was available. The others were either out of commission or reserved.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

You should be able to reserve the dinghy when you get there; not sure how quickly the dive boats fill up. When we went in November, the divers in our party booked their trips well in advance. And there are some forumites on island next week that have also booked their dives in advance.

My rule of thumb with reserving ahead is - if it's something I really want to do, I reserve ahead; everything else waits until I get there.

Regardless of what you do or don't do, you will have a great time.
janet
djmom

Post by djmom »

I cannot second the island time issue enough. If it takes you a long time to get served, it is not "bad service" (in most cases) ...it is just the way it is. Everyone walks slower, when you encounter a local...for example a waitress. It might seem like they are purposely going slow-I don't think they are, it is just a way of life-seize the day and enjoy the fact that for once in your life you are not being rushed out of a restaurant so they can turn over your table! Enjoy the beautiful day and your drinks your company and "island time".
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
tinajohnson

Post by tinajohnson »

Thanks for all the tips. You guys are awesome. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you while we are there.

Have any of you done the day sail to Jost Van Dyke? I was considering the Wayward Sailor. Any comments or suggestions?
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

We're Wayward Sailor fans. We've done the full day (2 snorkel stops) a bunch of times, but never done his trip to Jost.
janet
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Sailing is great to Jost with Capt Phil of Wayward Sailor! He and Tarn are wonderful! We also love Capt John Brandi of Palm Tree Charters for power boat to Jost - get to do and see a lot more than when sailing. www.palmtreecharters.com - check out his videos! What a blast!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Capt Phil is great.

I believe his sail to Jost only gives you enough time to sail to Jost, eat lunch and sail back, maybe with one snorkel stop, so if you are looking for the whole Jost experience (ie: Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, bubbly pool etc) you might want to pick another charter or take the public ferry.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties