Wallet ?

Travel discussion for St. John
jhillss

Wallet ?

Post by jhillss »

I have a question concerning where to leave wallet while exploring beaches? We are renting a soft top jeep and wanted to know where is the best place to keep wallet while exploring beaches and while snorkling? By wallet I mean drivers liscense, one credit card & small amount of cash.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

After trying many different methods like burying in the sand next to a chair, keeping in my beach bag etc. I usually keep my drivers license locked in the jeep glove compartment and all valuables out of sight and I keep a credit card and small amount of cash in a mini-ziplock in our beach bag, or in a secured pocket of my swim trunks. I keep another CC and a copy (front and back) of all the credit cards with us, ID's and documents locked in the villa safe. The problem I have is what to do with the Jeep key. Old days I would safetypin the key inside my swim trunk pocket. Can't do that with todays new "smart keys". I now just keep it secured out of sight in our beach bag also.

My method is to keep loss risk to a minimum by taking only what I need and seperating the items that might be dangerous to loose together like an ID and CC. The copies would come in handy when filing a police report and notifying the CC company of a lost card.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

You could use one of these and take it with you while you snorkel.

http://www.rei.com/product/778214
RickG

Post by RickG »

I leave it in my knapsack on the beach.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
I'm The Stig

Be sure the case is water proof, not just water resistant

Post by I'm The Stig »

Make sure the case is "water proof", not just "water resistant". You will want a case with an "O" ring seal otherwise your wallet will get soaked if you take it snorkeling. Check out ones from Intova. Search on Amazon for Intova case

http://www.amazon.com/INTOVA-INWB-SC100 ... 153&sr=8-4

Stig
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Bobbyboy

Post by Bobbyboy »

I use a dry pouch and put my keys, some money and credit cards in it. It can be worn securely around your neck. Sometimes it has leaked on me especially if I do some free diving while snorkeling but things do dry.
This year we have a safe in our villa so I will keep some things in that. You can obtain a dry ssck at your local scuba store or on line at scuba.com.
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

these work well. They are waterproof to 100 feet and can be worn around waist, neck or in zipped pocket.
PakPakWaterproof Wallet
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
scoob

money.. CC ??

Post by scoob »

I use one of these..
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_diver.cfm

I tie it to my suit ..
Bought it after I heard stories of stuff disappearing into the seagrape trees..
Kinda freaks out the ladies at Trunk Bay when I reach in my shorts for cash !!!
:wink:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

RickG wrote:I leave it in my knapsack on the beach.

Cheers, RickG
I'm with RickG, we live on the east coast and go to the beach a LOT...I always keep my wallet in my beach bag...never had an issue...while on STJ, we do the same...wallets stay in beach bags...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

We don't leave anything of value in the jeep or on the beach. Everything comes in the water with us. For credit cards, jeep key, and cash, we use an otter box.

http://www.otterbox.com/

Cameras go in their underwater housings and come in with us too, even when we are just lazing in the water.

I'll admit that I might be more cautious than some. I'm like that at home also. Everything is always locked, all the time, both at home and away from home. At our villa, if we are in the pool, we lock the house. If we are in one area of the house, we lock all the windows and doors in the rest of the house. At night, everything of value to us (camera, ipod, credit cards, etc) goes in the safe.

There are people in my town that don't lock their doors at night. I think they are misguided.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I guess I'm a blend of everybody's responses. I have something similar to what Scoob uses and I generally keep it in my beach bag.

I leave the bulk of my cash in the safe at the villa (I also have photocopies of my passports, DL and CC's or I scan them and save them as a PDf and put them on a thumb drive which I keep in the safe).

I only bring about $100 bucks, my amex, my ATM card and a DL with me to the beach. Enough for lunch and incidentals. Amex can be replaced within 24 hours as can my ATM card (of course I usually have plenty of cash in the safe to get me through a few days).

We will also utilize the glove box, but these don't always lock.

I also have never had a problem leaving my valuables in a bag on the beach but I am always within sight of it if I do or someone is with our stuff. I never leave anything completely unattended.

I am also anal about locking everything all the time at home and on vacay.

Generally I want to make it hard for anyone to get to my stuff.

But that's just me...
*Another fine scatterbrained production
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

For the week I'm in STJ, my wallet is replaced by one of my wife's hair rubberbands. I keep some cash, a cc, and a DL on me - that's it. When going to the beach, I keep it in a ziplock.

I used to simply leave it in our beach bag on the beach, but I found that I'm too paranoid and would keep looking back at it to make sure everything was still there, which isn't that relaxing. So, while we leave other semi-valuable stuff (i.e. our camera) on the beach, the bare essentials stay on my person.

If someone steals my camera, cie la vie....but I really don't want to deal with losing credit cards, DLs, ATM card, etc. while on vacation.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Just wanted to add to be careful with your rental car keys. On some newer vehicles, what appears to be an innocuous plain old padded key may actually have a chip in it that salt water will wreak havoc with. No chippie - no startie.

We will lock stuff in the car and hook the key on that neat little snap hook you find in most backpacks.

Why do you need a wallet on the beach anyway?

Also, having a locked door between me at the pool and the fridge/blender/bathroom could be disastrous on so many levels :D