Top 5 snorkel spots from Shore

Travel discussion for St. John
nancyr84

Top 5 snorkel spots from Shore

Post by nancyr84 »

I know this subject has been covered a zillion times and even though I have read all the posts and have all the books, experts please top 5 St John snorkel spots. 38 days to go, 3 long years since last trip. Is it too early to pack?
Nancy
mickyb

Post by mickyb »

It's never too early to pack.
Will you have a car? Are you a fairly experienced snorkler?
Waterlemon is my favorite. Salt Pond and Maho great for more beginners. Another favorite is Haulover. The south side is one of the best for the least work. Well, then there's Salomon and Pelican Rock (Hanson Bay) and.........
augie

Post by augie »

There are still a lot of them I haven't seen, but our top five so far are Waterlemon, Blue Cobblestone, Pelican Rock, Brown Bay, and Salt Pond Bay.
Come see us!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hart Bay
Yawzi Point
Devers Bay/Chocolate Hole Point
Hansen Bay-> Limetree Cove
Hansen Bay-> Pelican Rock
Big Maho/Little Maho Point

just a warm up

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
nancyr84

snorkeling

Post by nancyr84 »

Yes we will have a car. I am a experienced snorkeler. Have done Waterlemon, Haulover and most North Shore beaches. This trip want to try something new.
Nancy
snorkeler525

Re: snorkeling

Post by snorkeler525 »

nancyr84 wrote:Yes we will have a car. I am a experienced snorkeler. Have done Waterlemon, Haulover and most North Shore beaches. This trip want to try something new.
Nancy
Try Chocolate Hole - you'll have it to yourselves - and we saw more there than anywhere else. Twice saw octopus; plenty of barracuda, etc.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I second chocolate hole out past the grass.
Also, this past trip I went out the left side of salt pond way around the corner where the rocks get vertical and the water deep.I felt like I was in one of those giant aquariums. I'd bet a snorkel from Blue Cobblestone back to Salt Pond beach would be pretty spectacular if you had someone to carry your stuff back over land.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Pelican Rock off of Hansen's Bay (and all along the shore swimmming out to it)

Vie's Beach (over to the right where rocks stick out)

Haulover (the side along the road)
Chet

Post by Chet »

Jumbie to Denis and around Perkins Cay. Haul out at Denis and soak in the sun before heading back.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Nancy since you say you want something new...how about:

1. Blue Cobblestone
2. Yawzi Point
3. Tektite (requires a pretty challenging rock scramble)
4. Klein Bay to Ditleff Point
5. Great Lameshur (we found eagle rays here twice)
6. Kiddle Bay
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Suds

Top 5 snorkels

Post by Suds »

Hi Nancy,

Just wondering if you have tried the dinghy thing. Henley Cay and some others were a lot of fun. The current will carry you and you get picked up. A cooler with lunch and you are all set. BTW I'm not associated with any outfit that rents them.

Also agree w/ Choclate Hole recommendations ~ ez to get to and it is actually very quiet in there.

Have fun.

Suds
LMarie

Post by LMarie »

We haven't been snorkeling to all of the spots on STJ yet, but our favorites from the past two trips are:

1. Maho Bay (for Turtles and Rays)
2. Honeymoon - west side
3. Waterlemon
4. Trunk (it was excellent the day we did it)
5. Francis - east side
LMarie
Patty

Post by Patty »

Are there places to park to snorkle Devers/Chocolate Hole Point as well as Klein to Ditlett Point?
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Patty wrote:Are there places to park to snorkle Devers/Chocolate Hole Point as well as Klein to Ditlett Point?
I was wondering the same thing: how do you get to the snorkel spots in Chocolate Hole?...also any problems parking with the Pond Bay construction? (closed off areas, streets, etc.)
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Pianogrl wrote:
Patty wrote:Are there places to park to snorkle Devers/Chocolate Hole Point as well as Klein to Ditlett Point?
I was wondering the same thing: how do you get to the snorkel spots in Chocolate Hole?...also any problems parking with the Pond Bay construction? (closed off areas, streets, etc.)
We stayed in a villa on Chocolate Hole so I can't help much. The Pond Bay Club might let you park there while it is under construction if you are nice and ooh and aah over their villas. Other than that, I think you could park down at the turn-off for Chocolate Hole East Road. Then walk to the Pond Bay Club and get to the beach through there.

Another option would be to rent a dingy to get there. The sales people at Pond Bay Club always came in by boat - funny to watch them in their dress shoes trying not to get wet.

Maybe some others who have suggested it and driven in can offer better advice.