DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

WHOA!

Do you have free long distance?

We all do right? :lol:

I had no overages during my trip late last year.
Palmtrees

Post by Palmtrees »

Actually, for anyone traveling after April first, cell phone coverage will be a moot point. After many years of legal wrangling among politicians, regulators, and the business community the VIJI (Virgin Islands Jamming Initiative) will be instituted on that date.

An idea by the Virgin Islands Tourism and Trade Council to make the US Virgin Islands a much more pleasant place to "get away from it all" finally gained FCC approval as the US economy took its recent nosedive. For years traditional visitors have been complaining about those who infringed upon others' enjoyment of the islands by indiscreet, loud cell phone usage in shops and restaurants, on the streets, and even on the very beaches travelers seek out to escape what has become inescapable at home.

A survey by the International Vacation Council showed that 87% of all tropical island visitors prefer cell free venues. With hotels, restaurants, excursion operators and retailers all feeling the economic pinch, the FCC has agreed to jamming all cell phone service in the US Virgin Islands to help visitors choose the USVI over other vacation choices.

Emergency service providers have strengthened their radio systems to avoid outages and additional pay telephones are in the process of being installed. A spokesman for the trade association remarked "So many of our visitors tell us that they long for the great days of the past visiting a calm, beautiful place without the annoyances of today's fast paced society we decided to help regain that feeling. Somehow people managed to be found if true emergencies arose without the ubiquitous cell phones - they'll still have that ability and the rest of us won't be forced to hear any more than the breeze."

Sounds good to me!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Palmtrees wrote:An idea by the Virgin Islands Tourism and Trade Council to make the US Virgin Islands a much more pleasant place to "get away from it all" finally gained FCC approval as the US economy took its recent nosedive. For years traditional visitors have been complaining about those who infringed upon others' enjoyment of the islands by indiscreet, loud cell phone usage in shops and restaurants, on the streets, and even on the very beaches travelers seek out to escape what has become inescapable at home.

A survey by the International Vacation Council showed that 87% of all tropical island visitors prefer cell free venues. With hotels, restaurants, excursion operators and retailers all feeling the economic pinch, the FCC has agreed to jamming all cell phone service in the US Virgin Islands to help visitors choose the USVI over other vacation choices.

Emergency service providers have strengthened their radio systems to avoid outages and additional pay telephones are in the process of being installed. A spokesman for the trade association remarked "So many of our visitors tell us that they long for the great days of the past visiting a calm, beautiful place without the annoyances of today's fast paced society we decided to help regain that feeling. Somehow people managed to be found if true emergencies arose without the ubiquitous cell phones - they'll still have that ability and the rest of us won't be forced to hear any more than the breeze."
Is this a joke? Although I too get annoyed when folks are on their cell phones in inappropriate places, the fact that you can connect to "home/work" while on the islands is what allows some of us to get away on vacation. If they think this will increase tourism, I'm afraid it may backfire.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Chet

Post by Chet »

Palmtrees wrote:...VIJI (Virgin Islands Jamming Initiative)...the Virgin Islands Tourism and Trade Council...the International Vacation Council...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

And, don't forget: it starts April 1st!

I'm guessing it's a joke.

I have T-mobile, and when I was there in 2007, they didn't offer service but I could roam on AT&T towers for free. I had pretty good service in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay.

However, T-mobile bought SunComm, which I guess offers service down there (I remember getting on their towers a few times before), and when I was there in 2008, I got T-mobile in Cruz Bay and that's about it. I did get on AT&T on Jost.

I also had a new phone, and I didn't know that I could manually go in and switch to AT&T. That would've helped with my signal issues.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:47 am.