washington DC activities help

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

Post by loria »

flip-flop wrote:RE: Holocaust Museum. I would really think long and hard before taking a 10 year old to the holocaust museum. It is an AMAZING but extremely sobering experience. I have been twice and both times it was very difficult for me as an adult. My uncle, who is a massive history buff, went with us one time and he was surprised by how powerful and moving the experience is.

It is the only museum I have been through where the entire crowd is almost silent as they move through the exhibits.

I am thinking my daughter won't be ready for it (she's extremely sensitive to the plight of others and would worry about it for weeks after) until her teens. Just my two cents.
Yeah,
I would have to agree--I don't think that my son is ready for the Holocaust museum (frankly, i am sure it would tough for me) --he knows about these things in a fairly personal way (many of my husbands relatives were killed in the camps, though a couple survived) though i do think that it is still a rather abstract thing for him. I think we'll stick to earlier in history for this trip....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

When I was in Germany, I went to a camp. And while that was very sobering and left my very heavy-hearted, it's something I've always recommended that someone do if they found themselves in Europe.

Having said that, I have also gone to the Holocaust Museum in DC twice. I found it to be more emotionally draining to me than an actual camp with its ovens and barracks. I think it is because of the interactivity of the museum. At the beginning of the tour, you are given an identity and at the end of the tour, you find out if your person lived or died. That was tough.

I don't think I'd take a small child to that. And by small, I think it's really appropriate for high school ages and up.

I love DC. I used to work for a Congressman and for a PR firm there, and I have also found myself in our nation's capital for many other reasons.

If you're going in April, I think it should be cherry blossom time, so you want to go see that. I loved the World War II monument and the FDR memorial. Very cool exhibits. I love the Newseum, but the museum I found most fascinating was the National Postal Museum. I know that sounds odd, but it's really cool. So are any of the other Smithsonian museums on the mall.

I love everything about DC. I like to go people watching at Union Station and go to Georgetown to walk around and eat.

There's so much to do, that you'll never get to do it all in one trip. I would also recommend Mount Vernon (or Monticello if you wanted to drive a few hours) if your son is a Revolutionary War buff.

Have fun and enjoy yourself. Next to London, D.C. is probably my most favorite place in the world. If it had a beach and cheap rum, I'd probably forgo St. John altogether! LOL.
loria

Post by loria »

thanks Lulu, frankly, i think i will get all teary at the vietnam memorial--so the holocaust museum is a definitely no for me (it took me YEARS to get up the courage to see 'schindlers list'--i still haven;t seen 'the pianist' or 'life is beautiful'--i just get way too emotionally wrecked by that stuff)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
martini girl

Post by martini girl »

Loria - here's a mini trip report I posted when we visited DC in the summer of '07.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... highlight=

We went to most of the museums, surprisingly, our kids really loved the Air & Space museum at the Smithsonian. We didn't think they'd be that interested in it.

We were less than impressed with the Spy Museum. It started out pretty cool, with each child assuming a secret spy "identity", however, the identity thing didn't really carry all the way through the museum, which was a letdown to the kids.
We also experienced sticker shock upon entering the Spy Museum. I guess we were so used to getting into all the other museums and monuments for free, when we actually had to pay to enter (not cheap either) it kinda surprised us.

I agree with a previous poster to definitely make it a point to see the National Archives. Get there 30 min. prior to opening to avoid the long lines. One of my daughters was studying American History at the time so it was really neat for her to see what she was learning about. The monuments at night were spectacular. Definitely a high point for us.

We really loved The Matchbox for dinner. Great food for kids and adults with a great wine list too. We look back on that long weekend as one where we really enjoyed ourselves. DC has a lot to offer to families, it'll be a great trip for you.
loria

Post by loria »

thanks Martini Girl!
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Loria, it looks like you are getting great advice!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Ford Theater and a visit to the Petersen House across the street where Lincoln died the next morning. I know the theater has recently undergone renovations, so I hope they still conduct the tours! Visiting the boarding house across the street is a short walk-thru the room where he died.

We visited the U S Mint once and watched the money making process...kids liked that!

I have to agree to see as much in the Smithsonian museums as you can as they are all free. The Spy Museum does cost but we found it VERY interesting!

I also found the postal Museum interesting...all the history of mail! Who knew that could hold my interest but it did!

After you become "museumed-out" and you find a nice day, go out to The National ZOO! SPRING will be in bloom and it is a very nice zoo!

Once upon a time you could tour an FBI facility but I would double check on whether they still do that. It came highly recommended to us but we never made it.

I assume you are driving from NY...a stop in BAltimore in the Inner Harbor is nice for a visit to the Aquarium. It's a good one if your son is interested in waterlife.

I hope you get to see the cherry blossoms! It is an especially beautiful city that time of year.

ENJOY!
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Loria - I didn't know your son was only ten. I would agree with Flip's assessment on the Holocaust Museum. Great museum though, and one I will take my kids to someday.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

CHeck out the Willard Hotel. Some great history there. The term lobbyist, Mark Twain and the Civil War all are part of it's colorful history!
loria

Post by loria »

thanks all-- i am waiting to hear if we have a capitol tour--how long does it take you rep to get back to you?

martinigirl--great report, we will check out the matchbox

any other restaurant recs? thanks all for the great input. I am actually really excited about this (and this was in lieu of stj...so not happy bout that)
lprof

Post by lprof »

Not having toured DC with younger children for some time nor being familiar with restaurants serving great meatball sandwiches there, I can not offer any help. We have enjoyed Equinox Restaurant; it is near the White House, quite upscale food and several dollar signs but excellent when we have visited. www.equinoxrestaurant.com

A few years ago I learned that James Smithson, founder of the Smithsonian, was a wealthy English scientist who never visited the United States. He left his fortune to start an establishment in Washington DC dedicated to "the increase and diffusion of knowledge". Since 1973 his final resting place has been in the Smithsonian Castle. He must have had great faith in the American future. (...just a tidbit I wanted to share.)
Last edited by lprof on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
loria

Post by loria »

iprof that is really interesting, thanks. ;my husband is a scientist so we hope to do a bit of science history there!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

It depends on the Representative as to how long it takes to get back. The last time I did all the touristy stuff, my friend who worked for a Congressman got me passes to the Capitol and to the White House. I'm trying to think if I know anyone who could hook you up, but now that the Congressman I worked for is a governor, most of the my former colleagues are back in Ohio working for him there.

If you're not going until April, you should have plenty of time to get your passes. Sometimes you can even pick them up at your Member's office once you get to DC (or maybe I just got to do that because I had worked for him). You should definitely stop in to visit him regardless. That's a really cool thing to do.

It might not hurt to call again. I will see if I know anyone who can help, but I think most of my pals have left the Hill.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I second a swing through the Willard Hotel. Pete and I have stayed there and it is, of course, a lovely hotel but just to walk through and see the lobby is fun.

For lunch or dinner, I suggest Old Ebbott's.

Finally, if you are a little tired of big museums and such, check out the Phillip's museum. It's small and has fabulous art in a quaint neighborhood. Just about as much as a young boy can handle "art wise" but very, very cool.

Oh, sorry, one more thing. Cherry blossom season? If you hit it, you are one lucky family. Nothing more beautiful than the walk around the pond in season! Make a little picnic and drink in the scent.

Have a wonderful trip and please write a report when you return.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

District Chop House is yummy and fairly casual. The bar can get a little rowdy at night. Penn Quarter near the Verizon Center or whatever its called these days.

If you make it to Arlington - Ray's the Steaks. Just moved into bigger digs so you might not have to wait 2 hours. AMAZING meat!

2 Amys is good, kid friendly. Delish pizza. http://www.washingtonian.com/restaurant ... /1802.html

Capital Q in China Town (stange location) YUMMY BBQ though I am not a BBQ pro by any stretch I like it alot and its reasonable. http://www.capitalqbbq.com/article1.html
loria

Post by loria »

thanks you guys for all the great suggestions! and Lulu, what a kind offer!--but please don't go to any trouble--hopefully my rep will come thru for me (nita Lowey)--I can't imagine that we'll get a white house tour, but i really would love to go inside the capitol!