washington DC activities help

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

washington DC activities help

Post by loria »

well St john is off the table for April vacation-- :cry:
but i am thikning we'll take our almost 10 yr old son to DC--he's a rev war fanatic and loves history
need recs on where to stay where to eat what to do!

thanks!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Don't miss the National Archives. Seeing the actual documents is an amazing experience.

The Newseum - http://www.newseum.org/ - just reopened (within the last year) and is getting raves from what I've heard.

Also the National Academy of Science Einstein Memorial is cool if you are over by the war memorials its a quick walk. "To a visitor standing at the epicenter of the dais, Einstein appears to be making direct eye contact, and any spoken words are notably amplified."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein_Memorial

The National Cathedral is beautiful as well.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Depending on your family's interests you might check out:
www.spymuseum.org
for a different type of museum.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
loria

Post by loria »

thanks you guys--
we are going to stay at the hotel l'enfant for the location more than anything, but any other advice as to restaurants or other attractions would be appreciated--we may do a half day at mount vernon if that is possible--and i have requested a capitol tour (and a white house tour, but i am sure that we won;t get that!)
any other suggestions?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I know I'm going to get blasted again, but I don't really care. With the state of DC at this point in history, I'd go anywhere but.......it's the most corrupt 25 or 30 squrare miles on the face of this great country. Give the kid a break and let him learn about DC when he's old enough to pay his taxes and take him some place that would actually be fun and educatonal.

Sorry to be a downer on the stae of the country right now, but I don't see a ray of hope anywhere in sight. If anyone does, please enlightened me.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

The best way to see DC is at night when all the monuments are lit up.
The double decker buses are a great way to see the sights and you can jump on and off to see the sights.

The Newseum is great for kids also many interactive exhibits. It is located on the Mall near the US Capitol Building.
The Spy Museum
The new Indian Museum is also good.
Georgetown Waterfront for Dinner, if it warm, great place to sit outside along the waterfront. Tony and Joes has great seafood.

There is so much to see.

Old Town Alexandria has tons of places to eat also. You could go there after your trip to Mount Vernon. Great place to see also with all the Historical Buildings.
loria

Post by loria »

thanks for the helpful suggestions DCphoto! I heard also that the restaurant at the museum of the am. indian is not to be missed--do you know anything about it?
Chet

Post by Chet »

Loria - when are you coming to town? We have a good friend who works at Mt Vernon. I can research some of the exhibits and goings on that would keep you and the boy captivated. pm me with details.

Cypressgirl - I live in the fishbowl...shame on you.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I don't know if this would be up your alley or not, but I recall a bunch of historical exhibits here:
http://nmhm.washingtondc.museum/exhibits/exhibits.html
http://nmhm.washingtondc.museum/
Really well done! My daughter was fascinated.
Take a taxi there, not a bus. Dangerous area to be walking in.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

No, I have not been there since the opening ceremony. I did a photo story on it. Also while your there, across the street is the National arboretum. If it is chilly outside,it's a great place to warm up and see all kinds of plants and trees species. Something different at least to all the musuems.

Sandy
lprof

Post by lprof »

Loria Wrote:
I heard also that the restaurant at the museum of the am. indian is not to be missed--do you know anything about it?

My husband and I were there a few weeks after it opened in 2004; my memory of the cafe isn't too good and things may have changed...it was cafeteria style but with items in their own separate areas, not just a long line, something like a mall food court...drinks were all together for example, then you went to salads, then to burgers, etc. before checking out and finding your table. The interesting thing is that many foods were representative of various Indian regions. I remember there were bison burgers, corn based dishes, and smoked salmon. There was a good variety offered for just a small lunch to a very hearty one.
I am sorry that I don't remember more abut the food...the museum was packed that day...election week 2004. We did enjoy the museum though.
So many places to go there...so little time...National Air and Space Museum might interest your young man too. Just walking the Mall is inspiring and can be a beautiful time-out. Cherry blossoms should be lovely in early to mid April or so. Have a great time.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

I agree with Cypress...Wouldn't catch me anywhere near DC these days if I could help it.

I'm also unsure as to why, if the boy is interested in Revolutionary History...Why DC? Go to Boston...Walk the Freedom Trail, visit the Old North Church, go show him Boston Harbour and teach him about Taxation Without Representation (or, hand him a copy of the WSJ)...Take a ride up the street a bit to Lexington and Concord...Go to Faneuil Hall...Take a stroll through Bunker Hill...Boston Common...Hell, go have lunch at The Bull & Finch Pub (aka Cheers).

But DC? They're getting enough of my money.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Cypressgirl - I live in the fishbowl...shame on you.[/quote]

I knew I'd get blasted!!

I think DC is an amazing place to visit, spectacular monuments and museums, Mt. Vernon is a great day, and Arlington Cemetary has only been topped in my mind by Normandy, but with all the crap going on there now, all I can think of is that old movie, King George?? (or something like that), with John Goodman. He's the last heir to the British throne, after the whole lot of them have been blown away in a photo shoot. Surely we have a "king george" that can do less damage to this country than the boobs running things now. There's only about 3 of them out of hundreds, I'd trust with my money, my children, our National security, and the capitalism this country was built on. I don't mean any offense, and I'm sure your boy will have a great time, I'm just not sending one more red cent to DC/Fishbowl/Cesspool.........whatever.
lprof

Post by lprof »

I am sorry...I seem to have missed the other question...I didn't see the part about opinions and attitudes...I thought actual ideas for showing a ten year old our nation's capital and some historical interests were being sought.
I usually tend to keep my opinions and my attitudes to myself until asked.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Again turning a question into a political debate :twisted:

DC is a wonderful place to visit. This is where I work and I live about 30 minutes away, so I call it home. If you can not appreciate what Washington has than please just stay at home and make room for all the visitors who appreciate our Nations Capitol.
If a person wants to show their kids history, they should not be made to feel bad for it.

Sandy