Diving Question

Travel discussion for St. John
KatieH

Diving Question

Post by KatieH »

My husband and son are interested in an "Intro to Diving" course while we're on island. I'm (Julie the cruise director :wink: ) trying to decide between Chris Sawyer and Low Key. DS will be 12 within 2 weeks of our trip. BIL is certified and may join us. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!
Pia

Post by Pia »

Have you considered Collette with 6 paq scuba - I hear wonderful things about her but have no personal experience.

http://www.6paqscuba.com/

Pia
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

A third vote for Collette. I actually took her Intro to Diving course on island about a year ago. And though diving isn't for me, I would definitely recommend her to anyone that wanted to get their feet wet! :lol:
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Diana has used 6-pac, Chris Sawyer and Low Key. Her recommendation is for Low Key first, Chris Sawyer second and 6-pac third.

A new diver will probably do best with Low Key. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the other two. There's not. The instructors with Low Key and their boat are probably best suited to new divers.

JIM
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I certified through Cruz Bay Watersports but that was prior to the Westin opening and they cater more to the Westin guest now. I have since done all my dives with Low Key and my brother-in-law did the discover scuba with them,I would highly recommend them. I have no experience with the others to give an opinion.
Flafamily

Post by Flafamily »

Another vote here for Collette. She is fantastic - especially with newbies. She has certified our entire family and several teen friends as well. We go back to her every year. Diving is not risk free and she makes sure everyone is safe and comfortable. She is equally accomodating for the experienced divers who need less hand holding. Daughter is a master diver, lives on boats in the summer and dives all over the Caribbean and her favorite person to dive with is Collette.
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

I liked Collett for her diving skills but I did not like her boat. I like the bigger boats that you take a giant stride off the back and then have a nice big ladder to climb out. Her boat is small and you have to roll off the side, which I don't really like, and newbies really don't like. Then you have to take off all your gear in the water and hand it up to her in order to get up her ladder. But once you are in the water she is a really good instructor.
Nannerz

Post by Nannerz »

Not sure if your open to a shop in STT. I'd highly recommend Coki Beach Dive Club for beginners. It's only 5 minutes from Red Hook. Peter & Tobi are great! What i really like about this shop for beginners is that it's a shore entry dive and they teach the class at the beach. Real relaxed, real fun. I think the shore entry is really nice and maybe less intimidating for young divers.
Of course they offer boat dives to all the great sites as well.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I've heard rave reviews from my hubby and Flip Flops hubby about Low Key and Chris Sawyer respectively. MR. Flip Flop raved about his experience with Chris Sawyer.

Our husbands had a SERIOUS problem with Collette in that her equipment was faulty and it ended up ruining their dive with her and she never offered to refund them for the lost dive due to her equipment failure.

FF liked Collette's patience and one on one time with her for a beginner but based on our husbands experience based on equipment safety issues I cannot recommend 6 paq or Collette.
*Another fine scatterbrained production