Close...but yet so far....Damned Economy!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Boston Mike

Sorry

Post by Boston Mike »

Scott, sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully things will turn around. Good luck out there.
Life begins where the land ends!
aroobagirl

Post by aroobagirl »

I can really empathize. My husband is being laid off any day, and that is after a three month lay off last fall. This is the first time in years we haven't had a St John trip scheduled. I, too, will rely on the forum for travel reports and pictures until I can return.
Best of luck to all searching for jobs! May this bailout produce results and not bonuses for fat cats.
BeachKitten

Post by BeachKitten »

I'm really sorry to hear about your job. What do you do? The area of the country I live in isn't hit too hard yet, and lots of jobs open, including a few where I work.

Just a thought.
maryed

Post by maryed »

I am so sorry to hear of anyone losing their source of income -- it just sucks. We would also not be going this year if we hadn't planned and paid for a wedding last year that would have taken place in november; our daughter called everything off. We had rented a large villa for guests, paid airfare, etc. Insurance doesn't cover stuff like that. We were fortunate that the owners of the villa offered to apply the deposit we paid last year to using the villa this year. However, no-one can afford it this year (to share). I can't bear the thought of losing $4,000 deposit and airfare along with all the other deposits we lost, so we are going through with the trip in April. I can guarantee you we will not be eating out more than a couple of times, or spending money on day trips. Or going back for awhile.
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Very sorry to hear of your job loss Scott. :cry: I've had a reduction myself...working harder than ever for much less money...

If we hadn't planned our trip for April 09 back in May of 08...with plane tickets, 1/2 nonrefundable dep on accomodations we would NOT be going as our area is really feeling the recession. now I've got to send payment for the other half of our accomodations right off and funds are beyond tight.

Wishing you a successful job search.
Connie

Post by Connie »

So sorry Scott.

It's really scarey to read all these posts.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

I'm real sorry to hear of your situation and I hope that your fortunes turn soon.

Dave
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Hopefully the villa rental will work with you.

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Scott,
Is it possible that through this forum someone could use the villa you have a deposit on & pay you that deposit??? It is a thought.
jclampet

I will say like I feel it

Post by jclampet »

That Sucks
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Scott - so sorry to hear this! That sucks!

Hopefully the forum and the trip reports will keep you going till you can get back!
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

cocosmom wrote:Scott,
Is it possible that through this forum someone could use the villa you have a deposit on & pay you that deposit??? It is a thought.
I had to pay either 10 or 15% of total rental cost to cancel which is around $400. Destination St John said they would refund me if they are able to rent the week I cancelled which is June 21 thru the 28th at Villa Belvedere. I think thats as fair as they can be. Hopefully someone rents it. Only $2600 for the week. 8)
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

so sorry, how horribly disappointing...
if it makes you feel at all better, we have had to cancel trips last-minute when our daughter, who suffers from a chronic illness, has gotten acutely ill.... once she got sick 12 hours before we were due to leave... i was packing for st. john... completely lost the total cost of the villa. (i do trip insurance now; it's worth it for peace of mind)

hopefully you have your health, and you will get yourself back there as soon as you possibly can ! all good luck to you...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Scott, I am sorry you had to cancel your trip.

I do hope someone rerents the villa. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it has great views and location plus full AC--I bet someone will take it and you'll get your $$ back.

I hope things turn around for you soon.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.