Our Connecting flight was cancelled - Any suggestions???

Travel discussion for St. John
Linda in DE

Our Connecting flight was cancelled - Any suggestions???

Post by Linda in DE »

We have a flight booked through Travelocity with American Airlines from Philly to St. Thomas with a layover in San Juan. The first part of our trip is to Tortola then to St. John. We just got an e-mail from Travelocity telling us that the layover flight was cancelled & they booked us on a later flight to St. Thomas. The problem is, we don't land in St. Thomas until 4:30 pm and the last ferry to Tortola is roughly 5:00p.m. We know that's impossible for us to make. We are so upset. Has this happened to any of you out there? Does anyone have any suggestions for us? We will be trying to call Travelocity.
Linda in DE.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

No matter who you talk to, keep asking for their supervisor! Don't take no for an answer.
FrankG

Post by FrankG »

Linda, I'm always sympathetic and sorry for anyone that this sort of thing happens to, as I have had to cope with similar situations myself, over the years. Yes, I would talk to a supervisor at Travelocity, since that is where you bought your airline tickets, but be aware that they have no control over the airline scheduling. They are nothing more than an online travel agent. If you have trip insurance, it may cover this sort of "trip interuption" to the extent that you could possibly use the insurance money to pay for a water taxi to Tortola. Otherwise, you could stay the night in STT and catch the ferry to Tortola the next day. I hope everything works out well for you. :)
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

As California Girl said, insist on speaking with a supervisor. When you do, have an alternate itinerary ready - tell that person what YOU want. How about flying directly from San Juan to Tortola? I know American and Cape Air have several flights per day. If you find a solution for the problem they caused, hopefully they'll be more likely to agree - and keep asking until you get someone who gives you the answer you want!!!
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I would definitely ask about flying directly into Beef Island/Tortola on the outbound portion of you ticket. There are several flights into Beef Island from SJU everyday. Go on aa.com and check their schedules so you know what flights are there and then get the Travelocity supervisor on solving your problem. Good luck.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ultimately AA is going to have to solve the problem. I would start with them first. How far out is your trip? American moves schedules around frequently. The good news is that they have awesome coverage in the Caribbean.

I see AA flights from SJU to EIS at 5:30, 8 and 9 on most days.

Good luck.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hawksnestbay

Cape Air

Post by hawksnestbay »

I do not know your travel dates, but Cape Air, www.capeair.com runs 9 flights per day in the winter and 5 per day in the Summer from San Juan to Tortola. Good Luck!
Linda in DE

Flight was cancelled, but all is well now.

Post by Linda in DE »

Thanks to all who replied. I wanted to let you know that my husband called Travelocity today & they rebooked us on an earlier flight leaving Philly at 6:10 am and connecting in Miami for a final destination in St. Thomas arriving at 2:55 pm. So we will have time to catch the ferry to Tortola. He did not have to argue or even ask for a supervisor. Travelocity came through for us. Yeah! Again thank you to all who gave us suggestions.
Linda
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Linda, When are you going?
Bluwater