If you ship, what do you ship?

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

If you ship, what do you ship?

Post by Xislandgirl »

Chip just asked if we were going to ship anything down before our arrival. I was having a hard time coming up with anything that we need to send. I will buy coffee at STJ spice the second I get off the ferry and I will probably pack some of my favorite energy bars in my luggage.
Am I missing something? What do you ship if you ship?
RickG

Shipping

Post by RickG »

Some of the folks on our last trip were worried about getting diapers, baby food, etc. They considered shipping some boxes of supplies down. We convinced that they would be fine with buying things on STJ. But, it took some doing.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

If there is anything you think you might not be able to get on St. John, I'd be willing to bet you can get it on St. Thomas, before you cross over. The FOOD CENTRE, on Route 30 to Red Hook, has just about everything you can get at home, and the Marina Market in Red Hook has a really good selection.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know that I can get everythig I need, but Chip sems to think that we should send stuff down to make it easier to travel(Less bags, etc)
I know that Waterguy ships stuff and I was just curious what he sends.

I lived for almost 5 years on STJ and had no problem buying groceries. Maybe a trip to Cost-U-Less every 6 weeks or so.
Gromit

To ship or not to ship... that is the question

Post by Gromit »

My basic rule of thumb for shipping is this- If there is something that you cannot live without that would cost you more than the cost of the item on the mainland plus shipping, then ship.

We once traveled with a REALLY picky eater and they shipped down his food in advance. Bottom line he was happy. He (and we) would have been miserable otherwise.

That being said, you can find most anything on STJ. BUT I do pack the following in my luggage mainly beacause I can't usually find these on island and they are very light and are pricey if you do find them:

Gatorade powder, crystal light packets for adding to bottled water, cold brew tea bags, equal and microwave popcorn.

*Another fine scatterbrained production
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Hi
I don't ship anything down anymore but I do have a cooler that I pack meat into and cheese goes into the suit case. Some in our group will pack crackers. I've found that I can be pretty creative with the other part of the meals just trying to find good meat can be a problem.
Tom
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I will print this out and show to my husband. He never believes me when I say "The people on the board said....."
Genral

Post by Genral »

Hi X. We have tried sending gift packages to the islands. Sometimes it takes 2 weeks, sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. So to be sure, you'd have to send the parcels 4 weeks ahead of time and of course, you'd need a place to send them to, that will keep your stuff safe and dry until your arrival. Too much planning for us. We just pack real light. A samll suitcase and one backpack for each of us. Much easier. Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.