DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DELETED

Florida Folks

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Schnell

Post by Schnell »

We live in the Daytona area so we will probably watch from here. Its awesome to go out to Ponce Inlet on the jetty and watch from there. Night launches are really cool to see on a clear night. Its pretty clear now, but the weatherman predicted some clouds and possible shower, but what do they know :?:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Wow! I've always wanted to see a launch! Wish I could be there!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

A night launch is a wonderful sight.

I have never witnessed a shuttle launch, but did see all the Apollo and Skylab plus others from 1971-1975. Most times we just watched from our front yard in Satellite Beach.

My husband was stationed at Patrick AFB and was with Range Support for Air Force Eastern Test Range. He was usually out over the southern Pacific on the ARIA aircraft during launches. The aircraft would rendezvous over the ocean and pick up telemetry from the spacecraft as it went over. My husband LOVED that job!

Our whole family are still space shot junkies. When the shuttle or space station is visible in orbit we go out and watch it arc through the sky!!!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I'd love to feel the sound on my face! And oh, what I would have given to see an Apollo lift off! I'm a total space junkie, collect astronaut autographs, etc.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

SJ~

The night launches were especially spectacular. We lived about a block away from A1A, with an open field between our house and the beach. At that time there were no condos or hotels to block the view. We were about 15 miles away but could hear the roar even from that distance.

CA~

My husband was a Mission Co-ordinator on the ARIA and when he wasn't out covering a launch he had to be in the control room at Patrick. We do have several items of memorabilia. Certificates of Appreciation with signatures of the Astronauts from the last 3 Apollo missions, Apollo-Soyuz, and all of the Skylab missions.

Most of the missions were staged from countries in the southern hemisphere. Australia, Samoa, Tahiti, Wake Island, Argentina, South Africa and in the southern Atlantic, Ascension Island. My husband enjoyed seeing most of the countries, but in a few the tension and unrest was at that time barely contained and he was glad to get home.

BTW he flew through the Bermuda triangle all the time and never disappeared! :D
augie

Post by augie »

I watched the launch from my back yard tonight - beautiful!

When I was growing up my dad worked at the Space Center.

We got to go with him to see Apollo 17 - the only Saturn V night launch - from KSC when I was in 9th grade - it was incredible!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:08 am.
Come see us!